11/01/16 Rosario, AR - Estadio Rosario

gunsguy

I remember when the first leg of the US tour started and Axl sounded not as strong as around July/August and everyone here was losing their shit (including me), saying things like, "He shot his voice with AC/DC, Mickey is back, he sounds awful, he's not into it, it's a cash grab" etc. A week or two ago I had the sudden desire to rewatch the Troub show + a bunch of videos from all throughout the tour, and I stood in awe of my previous naivety. The band sounded amazing, Axl's clean voice didn't bother me at all and we should finally drill it into our heads that he is never going to sound like '87-'93 again. Subconsciously everyone's kind of hoping for that, and comparing his current vocals to that. Just stop. It's not going to happen. He sounds bloody brilliant for a 54 y/o man singing his ass off every night, and these past few SA shows also sound great, albeit with a few mistakes here and there. Compared to the US leg, he sounds weaker, yes, but in no way is it bad. The crowd is loving it, the band is loving it, and the only people who aren't are a bunch of eternally unsatisfied Periscope viewers.

I think @KeyserSoze put it best - this band isn't going to be around forever, and if you want to appreciate its last stand, then do so. If you really hate it so much, either get up there and sing instead of Axl, or just stop spreading so much negativity around. Do you have a clue how disconcerting and off-putting it is when you see all these people writing comments along the lines of, "he sucks, he can't sing, Mickey this, Mickey that, Mickeeeey"? Literally dissuades people from wanting to go to a show. And what for? I saw the comments before I'd seen any videos and thought it was a Bridge School-type of disaster, and it was nothing of the sort. They sound awesome, nowhere near perfect, but that's GNFNR for ya - the eternal misfits.

And let's not forget that Axl's most likely sick and that's the reason for his weaker vocals lately - I mean, they dropped friggin' Coma, there's definitely something wrong. Give him time...and just a little patience.

Edited by nonok
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

I disagree - virtually all I saw about his voice on here during both AC/DC legs was complaining that he is better with AC/DC, and that somehow translates into "He cares more about AC/DC and their fans than GN'R and their fans". I think it's true that his voice is better with AC/DC right now, but I don't necessarily think it's a conscious choice; I just think his voice right now is better suited to AC/DC than GN'R. 

Well I'm comparing GN'R with GN'R. I've seen videos of the U.S. Tour. I went to the shows in L.A. I watched S.A. shows videos. The way I see it Axl is struggling now. I didn't see that during the U.S. Tour. Maybe he needs a show or two to get his act together.  I'd like to know why  OTGM, Coma and My Michelle have been dropped. Yeah they played UTLH but that's not enough. There was no full replacement. And all we get is people coming with silly excuses like the wind or the phone mic.

Not all of us like what we see in this S.A. Tour from Axl's part. The same way that there are people who don't like the way Slash plays TIL or other CD songs. That's their opinion. The way they see it.

5 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

When people say "he's 54 this is the best he's going to be, I'd like to see you try" I think that's missing the point that in August he sounded like this 

now if someone criticized him here and someone else said "cmon this is the best you can expect from Axl at this point" id completely agree! Houston was the best of 2016 GNR Axl. 

But hopefully nobody thinks what Axl has done on this leg is the best he has. His voice doesn't sound as seem less as it was on the NA tour, even songs like Nightrain sound forced now, I'm not going to comment on Jungle last night bc it is what it is. Best hope is he's just not feeling well and will bounce back soon. With the number of shows he's done this year the biggest worry is vocal damage or fatigue. Hopefully neither. 

HOUSTON MAN FUCKING HOUSTON... What happened to his voice that night? He sounded so raspy and powerful, and the next show he didnt sound as good. Why?

13 minutes ago, GibsonLP said:

I've always wondered why bands spend a huge amount of money in the studio when they could just record their album on their iPhone microphone

Many of the greatest albums were made by technology inferior to a modern mobile phone such as an Iphone: antiquated gear, paltry tracks (with which to overdub), little time or production resources. Abbey Road, for the duration of the '60s, The Beatles era, still had only four-tracks!

11 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I think that's a bit of an unfair statement to make. You're making the assumption that the people critiquing his voice are sitting at home "on their fat asses", doing this for everyone show, and haven't attended any themselves? Or, regardless of if they did see shows, they shouldn't comment on a show they weren't at?

i mean, it's a discussion forum FFS. If people only commented on shows they attended, or commented on all shows but didn't critique them because anything wrong with the performance could be accredited to "crappy cell phone videos", this place would be dead. 

No, not at all... i didn't say that.

Anyone can comment on anything. I was pretty clear, it sucks for youtube/periscope attendance. They clearly miss a near perfect show or stay home for being afraid of a mickey mouse situation. I get it, the tickets are expensive. 

But even if you don't like the way Axl handles the vocals these days, there's Slash. He's in top form. 

17 minutes ago, onurbayrak03 said:

HOUSTON MAN FUCKING HOUSTON... What happened to his voice that night? He sounded so raspy and powerful, and the next show he didnt sound as good. Why?

Someone said it had something to do with the humidity there, and how it positively affected his vocal chords, but I guess nobody really knows for sure.

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I disagree - virtually all I saw about his voice on here during both AC/DC legs was complaining that he is better with AC/DC, and that somehow translates into "He cares more about AC/DC and their fans than GN'R and their fans". I think it's true that his voice is better with AC/DC right now, but I don't necessarily think it's a conscious choice; I just think his voice right now is better suited to AC/DC than GN'R. 

I tended to agree until he said he brought his vocal coach along on the ACDC tour that he hadn't worked with in over 20 years...I mean I get it, you are learning new songs you want to do it right, but where the hell was this vocal coach in 2011-2014. 

Axl put in the work for ACDC but ignored what was happening with gnr. I never doubt Axl's effort, but he hasn't made a conscious effort to improve his performance with gnr since 06. 

56 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Many of the greatest albums were made by technology inferior to a modern mobile phone such as an Iphone: antiquated gear, paltry tracks (with which to overdub), little time or production resources. Abbey Road, for the duration of the '60s, The Beatles era, still had only four-tracks!

That is true but they didn't record Abbey Road outdoors, 100 metres from the source of the sound with 50,000 fans and wind to compete with. And four tracks beats one track recorded on a mobile that then pipes it over a poor internet connection to where it ends up played through someone's tinny computer speaker. They also had sound engineers assisting them in controlled conditions. Look at the difference in sound quality you get between three different periscope streams of the same show - they can sound completely different

• Like 1

Wtf do you have against his voice on that bit of jungle? It was good, it was really good. That he made some timing mistakes or was out of breath? It is a live show, mistakes are a part of it. In the 90s there were times he skipped several lines, he was so out of breath. I dont know what you people expect of him but youre crazy. And what is saddest is that you really ruin the experience of following these shows on this board. With all the irrational bitching instead of commenting what actually happenes at that show it becomes unbearable rather than nice.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

Great video, could you see the stage properly? 

yes!! I did, in a small size...but I could see so good!! this is my only video, because I was mad shouting and dancing, there wasn´t campo vip at Rosario show, I will be near stage in River stadium!! ;)