Knockin' On Heaven's Door. GN'R classic? Better or worse than Dylan's version?

37 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

In my defense, when I was twelve and a complete GN'R nutter, I hated Knockin' On Heaven's Dawawa. I do not understand how anyone who is serious about music can say things like ''way better than the original'' however so I will dismiss your post with all the disdain that it deserves.

I am very serious about music and it's my genuine opinion. I like the Guns version better, they have a special ability to take covers and make it their own.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I am very serious about music and it's my genuine opinion. I like the Guns version better, they have a special ability to take covers and make it their own.

I strongly disagree with the argument that the original version of a song is always the best no matter what.

Yes, a cover CAN be better.

I like Dylan's, but when I want to listen to KOHD, I will automatically go to a GN'R live performance of the song.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carne_asaDA said:

I don't like the piano and choir or any backup singers for that matter on the song. 

But any Gnr version is not better than Bob Dylan's. 

GnRs Version from 91-93 is the best out there. Dylan would be only a solid songwriter without the covers of GnR, Hendrix, Stones, etc. His lyrics are totally overrated with regard to his nobel price.

While saying this: since 1994 this song is god damn awful. Horrible transformation by Axl and the band.

Edited by maxpax

6 minutes ago, maxpax said:

GnRs Version from 91-93 is the best out there. Dylan would be only a solid songwriter without the covers of GnR, Hendrix, Stones, etc. His lyrics are totally overrated with regard to his nobel price.

Absolute garbage.

• Like 2

Not sure If I ever read this or not, but did GNR ever share any insight or info on communication with Dylan for this song? I know Bob is incredibly private and rarely communicates with the media, but has anything ever been said about Dylan's thoughts on GNR's version of KOHD? I know Dylan has previously stated that the Jimi Hendrix version of All Along the Watchtower is the "way it needs to be played, anything similar said regarding KOHD? Axl a Dylan fan?

21 minutes ago, Cobrettm said:

Not sure If I ever read this or not, but did GNR ever share any insight or info on communication with Dylan for this song? I know Bob is incredibly private and rarely communicates with the media, but has anything ever been said about Dylan's thoughts on GNR's version of KOHD? I know Dylan has previously stated that the Jimi Hendrix version of All Along the Watchtower is the "way it needs to be played, anything similar said regarding KOHD? Axl a Dylan fan?

Axl told a story where Dylan asked him when the cover was coming out. Axl said something. Then Dylan says I don't really care I just want the money. 

I think this goes along with Jaggers influence on Axl to treat it like a business. 

Even Lennon and McCartney bitched about money. 

• Like 1

Honestly, is there really anybody out there that thinks of Bob Dylan when somebody mentions KOHD? Dylan's fans excluded.
Highly doubt it.

Most people connect KOHD with GNR, don't even know it's not their song, and think of this:

Not the best version for a hardcore GNR fans, but a very popular one, often argued as one of the best live performances ever. Even with the reggae :D

IMO, Bob's version is just good, GNR took it to a whole new level of greatness.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MisterNo said:

Honestly, is there really anybody out there that thinks of Bob Dylan when somebody mentions KOHD? Dylan's fans excluded.
Highly doubt it.

Most people connect KOHD with GNR, don't even know it's not their song, and think of this:

Not the best version for a hardcore GNR fans, but a very popular one, often argued as one of the best live performances ever. Even with the reggae :D

Complete and utter tripe.

Guns  version all the way. The Ritz version which I heard first is a classic, the studio version from UYI II and Days of Thunder is great, and the live versions of the 80's and 90's especially were great. I have a deep respect for Dylan but Guns made it their own. Both versions have merit but to me it will always be a Guns N' Roses song. I wish they would pick up the tempo with it live but it is cool they have mixed the Nu GNR and old versions basically with their new take.

I like the ritz 1988 version, but other then that I think it's not a good cover. They didn't really  preserve the magic of the original. It's such a Dylan song, you gotta make it fit, like Jimi did so well with All Along The Watchtower. Even playing it more ferocious like Killing Floor or keep it close to the original with Lonely Hearts club band and that took him less than a day.

Anyway... they missed the mark with that one. I'm glad it exists though, but Richard made me hate it tbh. I really like Richard but this song has become the answer to all my bladder problems after enough beers have been drank. It's perfect. Especially with Fortus trying to convince you to take your own life and be free from the 10 minute noodling on the 3 chords progression. Even Axl changed it in 2001 and 2002 back to be more similar to the original version. It's a casual crowd pleaser though. I hate that some tunes must be played in every show, but it's just the nature of the best. Guns is a commercial band. KOHD is the worst though.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

On 30 October 2016 at 3:59 AM, DieselDaisy said:

''Knock knock knockin' on heaven's dawawawa.'' It is quite awful really in comparison to Bob's, and seems to last an eternity when watching Guns play it live.

I'm struggling to figure out why you hang out on a guns n roses forum when 99% of what you say daily is negative. 

Here in Europe KOHD is GnRs live performance 

3 hours ago, MisterNo said:

Highly doubt it.

At least in Europe this performance is GnRs biggest moment in their caree enr. Before I was a GnR Fan i always thought this was a GnR concert. Its one of the best live performances in rock ever. It made a lot of viewers GnR fans. Perfect Intro, perfect Crowd, Axl at his best...the song defines GnR...actually overproduced with Roberta and Tracy and the Reggae part...But it's on the edge of perfection and overproduction...always loved it when GnR performed like a modern lynyrd skynyrd Interpretation.

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I should point out that I like music before Guns N' Roses.

But then you should be fair enough and agree that Dylan is a horrible singer and just a solid songwriter who had a lotta luck with interpretations of other artists. Jimi Hendrix f.ex. had some of the finest rock moments when it comes to studio recordings. He was a master of covering songs as well. But his live shows were annoying because he always improvised his songs live...

19 minutes ago, maxpax said:

But then you should be fair enough and agree that Dylan is a horrible singer and just a solid songwriter who had a lotta luck with interpretations of other artists. Jimi Hendrix f.ex. had some of the finest rock moments when it comes to studio recordings. He was a master of covering songs as well. But his live shows were annoying because he always improvised his songs live...

I'm a gigantic Dylan fan - I've seen him live three times - so no, I cannot agree.