Knockin' On Heaven's Door. GN'R classic? Better or worse than Dylan's version?

On 01.11.2016. at 10:01 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

GNR's version is way better.

Not a Bob Dylan fan. He's too boring for me. lol

I love every cover GNR has done. They make those songs theirs in that special GNR way.:headbang:

Yep. they make splendid covers :)

Just the other day, I heard this song on the radio, and it got me thinking it would fit GNR to cover it:

The song has been covered a lot, I think gnr would bring the best out of it.

The original has a climate and mood that got lost in the GNR version. I was never much od a fan of this song performed by GNR, regardless of the version but if I was to chose, the ritz one would be the best. Everything was better then. ;)

On 11/1/2016 at 2:01 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

GNR's version is way better.

Not a Bob Dylan fan. He's too boring for me. lol

I love every cover GNR has done. They make those songs theirs in that special GNR way.:headbang:

It's the "cool" thing to say that the original is better. While that's often the case, certainly not always. I'll bet you anything most of them rarely, if ever, listen to the Dylan version. While Dylan is an iconic and inspirational artist, KOHD isn't among his best work. His version is rather stale. IZZY's comments are spot on. Having said that, I do agree that the UYI album version isn't great. The live versions, especially early on, are the best.

Edited by thunderram

33 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Wow. I'd never heard the "Thunder" version, in all these years. Really shows what a negative difference Sorum made.

What? It's Matt playing on it. Same performance as the UYI II version, different mix.

• Like 1

it's a cool thing to say now,

On 06.11.2016. at 7:47 AM, thunderram said:

It's the "cool" thing to say that the original is better. While that's often the case, certainly not always. I'll bet you anything most of them rarely, if ever, listen to the Dylan version. While Dylan is an iconic and inspirational artist, KOHD isn't among his best work. His version is rather stale. IZZY's comments are spot on. Having said that, I do agree that the UYI album version isn't great. The live versions, especially early on, are the best.

It's a cool thing to say, especially since Dylan won a Noble prize. But that doesn't mean his version is better. KOHD was his average song, good, but not special in any way. A bit boring if I may say.

GNR made a whole new song, much better.

I get it if someone has made a good song, that  songwriting/music writing has a special value. But that doesn't mean that someone can't make a better interpretation of the song, or take it to a new, far better  level.

There are covers that are far better then originals:

I fought the law - Clash - Bobby Fuller cover

The man who sold the world - Nirvana - David Bowie cover

Nothing compars 2U - Sinead - Prince's song

It's oh so quiet - Bjork - Betty Hutton cover

It's my life - No Doubt - Talk Talk cover

I could go on and on

Edited by MisterNo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Wow, are you sure? I could've sworn it was Steven. Plus it just sounds totally different to me. 

It's Matt playing but the mix is different from the version found in UYI II.

http://mattsorum.com/about/

Matt’s inimitable playing continued to infiltrate the pop culture consciousness as GN’R songs popped up on soundtracks ranging from Terminator 2: Judgment Day and Days of Thunder to Interview with a Vampire and Gross Pointe Blank.

9 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Wow, are you sure? I could've sworn it was Steven. Plus it just sounds totally different to me. 

Yeah, totally sure.

Apart from the overall mix being vastly superior to the UYI version, it really goes to show how much of Matt's supposedely robotic and drum machine like drumming and tone is actually due to the level of compression and gated reverb added at the mixing stage.