Knockin' On Heaven's Door. GN'R classic? Better or worse than Dylan's version?

it always sounded great while izzy was onboard

the ritz version is fucking brilliant indeed!

rio 1991 when matt misses the ending is awesome

sorry bob, you wrote a great tune but it was GNR who made it insane!

:headbang:

===

then it became really bad with tracy, roberta and the reggae bit

then it became really really really awful on the axl solo years

knowing all that i wont even bother listening to the "i cant get enough money in this lifetime" threeunion version 

===

where is izzy? where is GNR?

I don't like the UYI 2 version. Imo it's one of the worst covers they did. In the live versions, especially the early ones, it worked well as a singalong. The current live version is very boring.

Edited by Blackstar

I love both the Dylan and the GNR version. But of course Dylan's version is better in the sense that it's the original. I agree that the current live version is a bit boring. Well it's not bad, but the Ritz version is better and I even prefer the last GNR incarnations version more than the current one.

I really like the version on Appetite for Democracy. Fortus is awesome on it. The more mellow and slow version really is cool. 

And of course the old AFD lineup versions were awesome as well. 

It either needs to be rocked hard or mellowed out. I'm not a big fan of how it sounds these days.

Yes, it wasn't so bad during the '80s with Stevie and Izzy, the Marquee version being particularly memorable; I still prefer Bob's though. It was that horrendous Illusion version with that weird phone call and the live Illusion version which seems to last forever and becomes extraordinarily dull which I hated.

The Ritz (88) version is closer to the UYI version than the Marquee (87) version.

The UYI is just more extended and with Tracy and Roberta. They also did the Only Women Bleed intro.

I like all of them: Marquee, Ritz, Tokyo (92), Freddie Mercury tribute... I also like the Rock am Ring (06) one.

I don't care that much for the studio version.

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

''Knock knock knockin' on heaven's dawawawa.'' It is quite awful really in comparison to Bob's, and seems to last an eternity when watching Guns play it live.

With all due respect, not trying to start a vicious fight but may I ask why are you here on this board? I rarely see you say anything positive about the band- which is fine, we're entitled to our own opinions and all I'm not judging, but what's your motivation to follow this band so heavily and what do you consider to be good in the GN'R world?

I think Gn'R's version of Knocking on Heaven's Door is quite badass. Way better than the original and is a great fun moment for concerts. The band seems to enjoy it and it gives Richard a solo in live shows :) plus Slash's guitar he uses for this song sounds so good.

17 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

With all due respect, not trying to start a vicious fight but may I ask why are you here on this board? I rarely see you say anything positive about the band- which is fine, we're entitled to our own opinions and all I'm not judging, but what's your motivation to follow this band so heavily and what do you consider to be good in the GN'R world?

I think Gn'R's version of Knocking on Heaven's Door is quite badass. Way better than the original and is a great fun moment for concerts. The band seems to enjoy it and it gives Richard a solo in live shows :) plus Slash's guitar he uses for this song sounds so good.

In my defense, when I was twelve and a complete GN'R nutter, I hated Knockin' On Heaven's Dawawa. I do not understand how anyone who is serious about music can say things like ''way better than the original'' however so I will dismiss your post with all the disdain that it deserves.

• Like 1