Slash's best take on This I Love

What is your favorite rendition of this i love. I personally fuckin love this one. The sustained note in the beginning of the solo gives me the feels and seeing axl's reaction the the perfect notes slash is hitting is amazing to watch. I'd kill to know what axl was thinking in that moment. Whats your favorite slash solo from this i love or hell...any solo of this i love

• Like 3

I wish slash would make a proper solo. its always like "oh wow that was a cool idea, i hope he builds around that" and then he doesnt. He has a bunch of different licks everytime he plays the solo, but quickly abandons them. So id say i half like what he does on this, but wish there was more to it

Edited by Mendez

6 hours ago, GNRfanx6 said:

What is your favorite rendition of this i love. I personally fuckin love this one. The sustained note in the beginning of the solo gives me the feels and seeing axl's reaction the the perfect notes slash is hitting is amazing to watch. I'd kill to know what axl was thinking in that moment. Whats your favorite slash solo from this i love or hell...any solo of this i love

Is anyone good at lip reading? :) What does Axl say at 3.07?

I like the solo here but much prefer Axl's vocals on this one now.

Edited by Asia

My take: the song (studio version) is terribly let down by the lyrics, the music is really very cool...Robin's solo is one of the best bits on the album.

Live, Ashba mauled that awesome solo to embarrassment, Slash's takes are infinitely superior (as he is obviously an infinitely superior guitarist) but still fall short of Robin's sublime rendition featured on the album.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GNRfanx6 said:

I agree wholeheartedly.

It is the best version.  Axl's face expression says it all.

As big of a Slash fan as I am, I've grown a wee bit tired of the Godfather over the years. I've just heard it so many times and in so many forms. I totally get why people don't like his noodling on This I Love and wish he would stick to (or write) a more structured solo, but for me it's been one of the highlights of every show. I've never particularly cared for the song so it's neither here nor there for what happens to it. Lately I just consider it a solo spot for both Axl and Slash, and in many respects I'm enjoying what Slash is doing with it more than the Godfather.

38 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I find the whole thing a bit of a mess. The studio version of the solo is the best one I have heard for this song, probably the best thing in the song altogether. The lyrics are like a nursery rhyme.

What aspect of the lyrics does everyone hate? I see it either:

A.) too heartbreak  lovey dovey

B.) every line's rhyme is the same sound ("know why, say goodbye, that I, her eyes, be wise, have to try, have inside, can't deny" etc)

C.) Too simple/straightforward/not as "complex"  as UYI ballad lyrics (no metaphors, hyperboles, etc)

Or a combination of everything.

Or maybe something else

This has been a sort of hobby listening to how Slash does it. I'm a huge fan of the Robin on this one. I happen yo still like the original version better. That's hard to admit since I love Slash but there it is.

I also love the lyrics. I feel it's a beautifully done song all around.

I'm still deciding on my fave Slash version but do love hearing them all.

None.

It was perfect on the record. The highlight when we finally got to here the full album.

Better solo shouldn't have been changed either.

To me they are the equivalent of hearing Robin's take on the Nov Rain solo. Although at times it was kind of refreshing and not noodling while trying to play as many notes. Perfect example that sometimes less is more

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1