Myles Kennedy: We Have Recently Had Communication About Reconvening Slash & The Conspirators; New Album

11 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Well, the 3 times he came to Argentina with SMKC he played 2 shows in Buenos Aires. Each time, one of those shows was some sort of a special/intimate show in a place that holds around 1,500 people. Getting to watch him there was absolutely epic. Last time, in 2015, I was right on the front row and I couldn't believe how close to Slash I was. Then Duff joined to play It's So Easy and Paradise City. Simply mindblowning! :drool: :drool: :drool:

I hope I'll get to see Slash in a venue like that again someday!

wow you are lucky! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wasted said:

I'm just confused. I actually think Izzy wrote a lot for AFD that gets overlooked. Izzy gets less credit than he deserves (but I'm not sure about that). With Slash it's more obvious what he did, but on the other hand Slash hasn't done a Brownstone or OTGM without Izzy. Take DTJ for example, Izzy gets sole writing credit, but to me it seems Slash is really rocking it out on the record. Maybe that's just how it is, the lead guitarist and singer get all the attention. And it's cooler for rhythmn guy to hang back even if he wrote half the songs. I still think though Slash makes GNR successful more than Izzy. Otherwise Izzy solo songs would be as successful as Slash solo? 

Slash's sound is more commercial on it's own. For most people his solo material sounds more like Guns cause it got the Gn'R sound.

Izzy's songwriting skills are as much of a part of Guns as Slash's guitar, but not as obvious.

If you take away Izzy tunes from Appetite and Illusions it's not those albums anymore. Same with Slash. Who is more important on Nightrain for example? it wouldn't work as well as an Izzy tune on one of his solo albums without Slash and Axl but he wrote it.

It gets confusing for me as well, like how it doesn't sound as Gn'R when you listen to a solo album but the chemical reaction between them was that strong, their musical abilities just complemented each other really well.

Edited by Rovim

8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Slash's sound is more commercial on it's own. For most people his solo material sounds more like Guns cause it got the Gn'R sound.

Izzy's songwriting skills are as much of a part of Guns as Slash's guitar, but not as obvious.

If you take away Izzy tunes from Appetite and Illusions it's not those albums anymore. Same with Slash. Who is more important on Nightrain for example? it wouldn't work as well as an Izzy tune on one of his solo albums without Slash and Axl but he wrote it.

It gets confusing to me as well. Like how it doesn't sound as Gn'R when you listen to a solo album but the chemical reaction between them was that strong, their musical abilities just complemented each other really well.

Izzy is vital to the chrmistry on some songs but then on others like Coma or Estranged not so much. It is confusing, not really sure I have a point. I think I'm trying to gauge Izzy's importance in regards to the reunion. On one hand he's part of chemistry, but then on the other not enough to get equal loot. Or they aren't connected. Then you have DTJ being played live. And Slash really sells that song, I expect when Izzy brought it in it was much different. 

26 minutes ago, wasted said:

Izzy is vital to the chrmistry on some songs but then on others like Coma or Estranged not so much. It is confusing, not really sure I have a point. I think I'm trying to gauge Izzy's importance in regards to the reunion. On one hand he's part of chemistry, but then on the other not enough to get equal loot. Or they aren't connected. Then you have DTJ being played live. And Slash really sells that song, I expect when Izzy brought it in it was much different. 

As far as reunion importance, I'd say Izzy is important for a Guns album. His Guns work and his solo work kinda show me the Gn'R element he brought to Guns is still there and was always a part of every old Guns album.

Appetite had: Nightrain, OTGM, Brownstone, My Michelle, Think About You, You're Crazy. Half an album and that's not including other shit like his SCOM work, His WTTJ rhythm, and more.

Lies it's 3 Izzy acoustic tunes out of 4. Axl wrote One In A Million.

I guess you gotta think if you really believe Izzy can still write these riffs and bring an important rock n' roll element that Axl can use. But Axl asked for Down By The Ocean, Duff said he wants to write with Izzy for the rest of his life not long ago. Slash said his guitar sounds the most interesting with Izzy's, and Axl has tried to incorporate Izzy into the reunion shows.

Just because he didn't want to give Izzy the money doesn't mean Izzy is like less important. Axl might be perfectly happy with Fortus and doesn't think Izzy was there enough or did enough for Guns to get a loot slice.

Edited by Rovim

17 minutes ago, wasted said:

i believe it was liekly the exact same way it is now minus the slash solo

the slash solo (specially on live versions) is really a crucial part of the song and izzy certainly didnt write it

a guitar solo is as much a "melody" as a vocal line / so maybe slash should be credited on the songwriting for it

even though the album solo is much shorter than the live version and fades away really fast

the live solo always had a bit of improv

the thing about slash solos in GNR is that they sound so fucking good

why is that?

it is because of what is going on "behind it"

the rhyhm part is so fucking dynamic and grooving and rocks so much etc that when you add slash terrific solo melodic abilities over that you get perfection

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

As far as reunion importance, I'd say Izzy is important for a Guns album. His Guns work and his solo work kinda show me the Gn'R element he brought to Guns is still there and was always a part of every old Guns album.

Appetite had: Nightrain, OTGM, Brownstone, My Michelle, Think About You, You're Crazy. Half an album and that's not including other shit like his SCOM work, His WTTJ rhythm, and more.

Lies it's 3 Izzy acoustic tunes out of 4. Axl wrote One In A Million.

I guess you gotta think if you really believe Axl can still write these riffs and bring an important rock n' roll element that Axl can use. But Axl asked for Down By The Ocean, Duff said he wants to write with Izzy for the rest of his life not long ago. Slash said his guitar sounds the most interesting with Izzy's, and Axl has tried to incorporate Izzy into the reunion shows.

Just because he didn't want to give Izzy the loot doesn't mean Izzy is like less important. Axl might be perfectly happy with Fortus and doesn't think Izzy was there enough or did enough for Guns to get a loot slice.

Even though it's not logical it makes sense. 

I feel like they could be holding back until they have a record done before Izzy will tour. 

Or maybe Izzy will only drop in for one song like Ghost for the record. Seems like Izzy style. If Izzy does do a guest spot on this tour you know that will be off the hook. 

6 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i believe it was liekly the exact same way it is now minus the slash solo

the slash solo (specially on live versions) is really a crucial part of the song and izzy certainly didnt write it

a guitar solo is as much a "melody" as a vocal line / so maybe slash should be credited on the songwriting for it

even though the album solo is much shorter than the live version and fades away really fast

the live solo always had a bit of improv

the thing about slash solos in GNR is that they sound so fucking good

why is that?

it is because of what is going on "behind it"

the rhyhm part is so fucking dynamic and grooving and rocks so much etc that when you add slash terrific solo melodic abilities over that you get perfection

But there's stuff as groovy on Izzy solo albums. Slash just seems to amp it up though. The youtube clip I saw I think Slash has changed the riff a little from the record as well, he wrings it out more. It's just the whole sound of it kicks ass. Izzy solo is always less aggressive or big. Then Lies! Is an Axl line? 

Who is the Double talkin jive mother fucker anyway? 

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

But there's stuff as groovy on Izzy solo albums. Slash just seems to amp it up though. The youtube clip I saw I think Slash has changed the riff a little from the record as well, he wrings it out more. It's just the whole sound of it kicks ass. Izzy solo is always less aggressive or big. Then Lies! Is an Axl line? 

Who is the Double talkin jive mother fucker anyway? 

good question!

yes, slash amps it up for sure, when he plays along with izzy he brings izzy's stuff to another level -- an vice versa

9 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

good question!

yes, slash amps it up for sure, when he plays along with izzy he brings izzy's stuff to another level -- an vice versa

Izzy brings the tunes for Slash to amp up. Slash on Just Don't Know would kill. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wasted said:

Not directly, but he said the only Izzy song is Think about you, which he didn't think belonged on AFD. No one really emphasized Izzy's importance. When Izzy left Duff said Axl brought more musically. The writing aspect in GNR doesn't seem too important. The success comes Axl and Slash's talent. 

Don't drink and go on internet forums, kids.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, passenger57 said:

Axl 'fuck it, let's call Izzy and write some new shit'

Slash & Duff 'right on'

just a pipe dream I know...

Especially after Izzy called BS on their reasons for him not being on the tour. That's not gonna bring them closer any time soon. Axl, Duff and Slash have all written plenty of music themselves. That probably makes the need to write with him even less in their minds. Especially if they're perfectly happy with the stuff they write themselves.

Get Slash and Duff together, let them write 20-30 songs together. Maybe a little bit of input from Richard to make him feel like he has a purpose. A complete mish mash of riffs and hooks ala Velvet Revolver / Slash & Myles.

So far so good.

Then the magic happens. Add in Axl's quality control, tinkering, lyrics and and vocals. Bin most of them and keep the best 10 songs.

Give Mike Clink a call, and record those fuckers within a fortnight.

There you have one of the best rock n roll albums of the 2000's, I guarantee it

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LA_0013 said:

Get Slash and Duff together, let them write 20-30 songs together. Maybe a little bit of input from Richard to make him feel like he has a purpose. A complete mish mash of riffs and hooks ala Velvet Revolver / Slash & Myles.

So far so good.

Then the magic happens. Add in Axl's quality control, tinkering, lyrics and and vocals. Bin most of them and keep the best 10 songs.

Give Mike Clink a call, and record those fuckers within a fortnight.

There you have one of the best rock n roll albums of the 2000's, I guarantee it

I was with you all the way until you mentioned Axl's tinkering!

• Like 3

It's really the only thing left out of the equation. Making up w/ Izzy and getting back to basics.

I know it wont happen, money, egos, etc... but that's the mentality that created those original masterpieces in the first place and everyone loves a happy ending! no pun intended haha

Edited by passenger57

2 hours ago, moreblack said:

That's where it'll stall and everyone will quit again.

That's the only way it won't be disposable. You gotta use that filter in Gn'R. Who will decide if the next potential Gn'R album is good enough? Slash and Duff? even if they had the option I wouldn't want that.

At least Axl gives a fuck about quality. To be fair though, I can imagine Axl tinkering for half a decade with a Fall To Pieces 2 type Slash riff. If my lead guitar player was Slash and I was a tinkering motherfucker I would want some time to tinker with his guitar ideas after 20 years of not doing it.

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

At least Axl gives a fuck about quality.

Then why did he release Scraped, If the World, Shackler's Revenge et al. Much of Chinese is actually inferior to the weakest of Slash's efforts, apocalyptic love for instance.

Much of the tinkering on CD involved layering a load of bleeps and strange whirling noises over the top. Do we really require this?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Then why did he release Scraped, If the World, Shackler's Revenge et al. Much of Chinese is actually inferior to the weakest of Slash's efforts, apocalyptic love for instance.

Much of the tinkering on CD involved layering a load of bleeps and strange whirling noises over the top. Do we really require this?

I think Chinese consists of mostly high quality tunes and that it was supposed to be a double album.

I also believe someone needs to put it together and Axl knows how to do it. Now they're probably gonna write new tunes and possibly use some of what was already recorded. 1996 sessions and Chinese Era material could be used.

It's not just tinkering with synths. It's about taking the time to make sure the "right" tunes are there and that all the guitar parts and arrangements work and are at a high level.

I want Axl to take a Slash idea and turn it to something great like he did with Robin and Better. Shackler's and If The World are good examples of how Axl worked on tunes that other people were responsible for.

Street Of Dreams, If The World, Sorry, Shackler's, Scraped. Dizzy, Pitman, and Bucket wrote those tunes. Maybe Axl will do the same with Slash, Duff, and Fortus and band members from this line up and some old material.

I want him to take enough time to deliver a great final Guns album.

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

I also believe someone needs to put it together and Axl knows how to do it.

Ehh? Rose has put out one album in twenty-five years!

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It's about taking the time to make sure the "right" tunes are there

Then why were 'Scraped', 'Shackler's Revenge', 'If the World', 'Rhiad' - the list goes on - included on Chinese? The 'right' tunes. Scraped is comically bad. It sounds like a mash-up of a Backstreet Boys' number and a Korny b-side. It is extraordinarily terrible. Yet ten years of tinkering and 14 million and he deemed 'Scraped' to be good enough to release on his magnum opus! The mind boggles. 

• Like 1

Scraped is my most played CD song. Probably best modern roock track of the 00s. It's finally an out and out rock n roll song that has flawless next level production. It's very rare. You have nu metal bands that never get the rock n roll right. Then you have rock bands that try to do modern production. Scraped is the perfect combo. Synthetic authenticity. 

Edited by wasted