Has anyone else noticed the stiffness?

yes of course there is close to zero interaction specially between Slash and the non GNR people

i actually couldnt care the fuck less about that

why?

because izzy and slash, the best guitar duo ever, rarely got close to each other onstage

thats not the problem

the problem is that (despite having 3 guys sounding fantastic onstage) we have 4 alien non-gnr people sounding HORRIBLE, specially the frank drummer (which is really noticeable how he destroys the songs) and that Richard guitar player (he doesnt fit GNR) 

you remove those 2 guys

you bring izzy and steven (ok, izzy and a decent drummer)

and it will sound great again

and sounding great is all that matters in the end, isnt it?

• Like 2

I agree with the OP. Yes, they're stiff, all of them. Axl probably is least stiff but still his interactions with both the band and the audience are extremely limited as compared to UYI or anytime before. He doesn't speak almost at all, he barely addresses the crowd, doesn't even make any short comments anymore that he used to make all the time. He used to talk to the people and to the band on stage, Slash used to talk to the crowd, something he desperately avoids now, even Duff would say something every now and then.

And yes they interacted much more on every level. Not to mention the various things that would happen and they would comment on, be it torn trousers, lost boots or bugs in Axl's drink, whatever. It all accounted for a much homier, much more real feel that was great about this band. Now they're stiff to the point of it all being kind of sterile and cold. Very professional, yes, professional to the point of kind of heartless. I'm sure a lot of people love it because it's professional, predictable and the music is great but definitely the true spirit of Guns is missing.

I don't know the reason for this. Weather it is because after all that happened there is in fact no going back to the atmosphere between them that there once was - it's possible, I sort of have a feeling Slash and Duff are aware they are in Axl's band and they don't feel like this is they're own band like it was up untill the 90s. Could be why Slash never talks from stage not to undertake the role of another leader, maybe he thinks Axl wouldn't like it ot whatever. Maybe ther'e also some distance and reservation in how they all feel abuout the whole thing. It maybe also be because they are now old and sober and fucking boring as hell. Whatever the reason, yeah, I see your point, and I am also missing the warm, real feel the band once had onstage.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

when we had the first few concerts, I found it odd, yet understandable, how stiff everyone seems to be.

naturlly, thought as the tour develops things will look different.

Yet now 30 or so gigs later, everyone looks as stiff as the first day. Actually, Axl looks most comfortable.

Duff usually stands there in the middle of that huge stage with his cap on, Fortus stands few meters behind him making few attempts to join and mingle in with Slash on a couple of occassions but Slash doesn't have any contact with him or interaction he had with Izzy, Duff, Gilby, Matt or Adler. In fact, Slash doesn't really interact with anyone there either.

Seems like eeryne there on that huge stage is an island for himself, as if they are all there cause they have to be.

The entire atmosphere is odd, sterile. No chatter, no smile, no interaction with each other or the crowd.

When you compare this with Illusions....Up until the end of that '93 tour, they looked like a band, gang, everything seemed so natural, Slash, Gilby, Duff running around the stage, smiles between them, interaction with them and Matt.

Honestly, at this point, the way things look, this doesn't seem like a band that can go on.

Wheather or not Slash and Duff just don't jel with Fortus and Frank or something else - don't know.

Too me it seems like they just don't have common ground and simply ignore them.

What are your 2 cents?

Have you been to an actual show?

9 hours ago, Mendez said:

Slash hardly interacted with anyone other than Myles in his band SMKC. But you have to also consider, Slash and Duff are life long friends, and Slash probably met Fortus barely in the beginning of this year. I always see Duff interacting with Frank, he always goes up and plays facing him several times during the shows (to keep time at least).

Are you sure he's 'interacting with Frank' ? :lol:  I think he's just saying 'dude slow the fuck down, you're lucky to be here, you can be gone in a minute, you've had 10 years to study these songs and you're still playing them wrong ... you're not worthy of 'putting your own spin' on these classics that WE wrote !'

• Like 2

As far as Axl not saying much to the crowd, in KC this summer he spoke much much more than when I saw the previous lineup in KC in 2011. In '11, literally the only things he said the whole show were "Kansas City- this place is nice" (referring to the new arena the show was in), and Good Fuckin Night. And I don't believe he was pissed off or anything. 

Point is, I think Axl interacts with the crowd more now than with the last lineup. Whatever difference that makes to anyone. (It makes little difference to me).

2 hours ago, Asia said:

I agree with the OP. Yes, they're stiff, all of them. Axl probably is least stiff but still his interactions with both the band and the audience are extremely limited as compared to UYI or anytime before. He doesn't speak almost at all, he barely addresses the crowd, doesn't even make any short comments anymore that he used to make all the time. He used to talk to the people and to the band on stage, Slash used to talk to the crowd, something he desperately avoids now, even Duff would say something every now and then.

And yes they interacted much more on every level. Not to mention the various things that would happen and they would comment on, be it torn trousers, lost boots or bugs in Axl's drink, whatever. It all accounted for a much homier, much more real feel that was great about this band. Now they're stiff to the point of it all being kind of sterile and cold. Very professional, yes, professional to the point of kind of heartless. I'm sure a lot of people love it because it's professional, predictable and the music is great but definitely the true spirit of Guns is missing.

I don't know the reason for this. Weather it is because after all that happened there is in fact no going back to the atmosphere between them that there once was - it's possible, I sort of have a feeling Slash and Duff are aware they are in Axl's band and they don't feel like this is they're own band like it was up untill the 90s. Could be why Slash never talks from stage not to undertake the role of another leader, maybe he thinks Axl wouldn't like it ot whatever. Maybe ther'e also some distance and reservation in how they all feel abuout the whole thing. It maybe also be because they are now old and sober and fucking boring as hell. Whatever the reason, yeah, I see your point, and I am also missing the warm, real feel the band once had onstage.

From a lot of the clips I saw, Axl's still making jokes on stage and addressing the audience. He's not going on 10 to 15 minute rants but he's as interactive as any other singer I've seen live. More than most, really. 

4 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

From a lot of the clips I saw, Axl's still making jokes on stage and addressing the audience. He's not going on 10 to 15 minute rants but he's as interactive as any other singer I've seen live. More than most, really. 

I wasn't comparing him with other singers. I don't much care about other singers, most of them are totally shit frontmen. He's definitely less interactive and less relaxed in the contacts with the audience and the band than he used to be back in the day, so is the rest of them and generally the whole thing is stiffer and the atmosphere different. Like I said, I am aware many people don't care or even like it this way but I can see the difference so I understand the author of the OP. I also preferred that more band-like, family-like, warmer and more homely atmosphere that the UYI or earlier shows had. That said, it is what it is and I'm glad we have it.

7 hours ago, shjtjustgotreal said:

just enjoy the goddam shows ffs

No shit.  The hyper-analyzation of every single move is depressing.  "Axl sucks/can't sing....the sets suck....Slash isn't into to....Fortus sucks (well....), Axl wasn't on the same plane....Slash and Duff didn't make out....Axl wants DC more....Slash and MK are making a new album (in a fucking year or 2 down the road)....."   My God the bitching is crazy.  "just enjoy the (fucking) shows FFS".  We have Axl/Slash n Duff back.  Show me a crowd that isn't having a blast....everyone is loving it.  Great reviews too (not that a review is the end all). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

They tried. Izzy wants equal pay for a band he left and sold his shares in.

So alas no dice for now. But would be awesome if Izzy could.

Yeah but if he shows up and there plays and people go crazy, it could force him back in full time and he could get his cut of the pie. I think it's possible..

I was at the first Vegas show. you could tell there were nerves still, Slash barely left his little box. I was also at the first stadium show and the difference was immense, Slash was extremely lively  (more than any Conspirators gig I went to or the HOF) as was Axl compared to the NUGNR gigs I saw. 

Of course they're stiffer than the old days, but they're pretty damn energetic and loose compared to their other projects and to other bands their age. Aerosmith, Van Halen, Sabbath, etc don't interact and move around like GNR now imo

3 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

As far as Axl not saying much to the crowd, in KC this summer he spoke much much more than when I saw the previous lineup in KC in 2011. In '11, literally the only things he said the whole show were "Kansas City- this place is nice" (referring to the new arena the show was in), and Good Fuckin Night. And I don't believe he was pissed off or anything. 

Point is, I think Axl interacts with the crowd more now than with the last lineup. Whatever difference that makes to anyone. (It makes little difference to me).

The bottom line is: people who expected to travel back to 1991 deserve disappointment. From 2010-2016 I've seen 10 shows, and Axl's stage presence is the best it's been since 2010. Slash and Duff are playing like they have for a decade. I swear some people care more about how often these guys hug each other than the actual shows. 

• Like 3

Dig the schnockers outta them playing their new(er) stuff. Can't fathom the monotony of hammering out the basics repeatedly. Seems to me a nice mix n match of his theirs and oozing out a foreign jam in a less 'stadium' environment would bring it. 

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The bottom line is: people who expected to travel back to 1991 deserve disappointment. From 2010-2016 I've seen 10 shows, and Axl's stage presence is the best it's been since 2010. Slash and Duff are playing like they have for a decade. I swear some people care more about how often these guys hug each other than the actual shows. 

It's not about hugging, it's about the overall atmosphere and feeling, the amount to which they are relaxed as well as about the talking - I personally loved Axl's long talks and the fact that Slash interacted with the crowd too. Like I said, you may prefer it the way it is, song after song, till the show's over and nothing happening in between but don't try to bring it all down to hugging thus attempting to make idiots  out of your intelocutors, cause that ain't right.

I know it hasn't been like these since the 90s and I know there's no going back to the 90's but that doesn't necessarily mean that nobody is entitled to their observations and opinions.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Ppl here are mixing up all kinds of stuff.

Axl on stage achivement and stiffness of the band members on stage are 2 totally different things.

Nobody ever said anything about how well the band sounds now, or how Axl sounds compared to '91, 2001, 2011...

This topic is solely about sterilness of the band on stage. How distant the band members seems to be to each other, how little chatter or physical or none physical contact there is between the band members.

Ie, back in the day when Matt and Duff had interaction on stage on every concert, when Slash and Gilby interacted with each other (ie, when Slash invited Gilby for that run on PC in Paris), when Duff Gilby, Slash and Izzy spontaneously jammed with each other or said stuff back anfd forth while playing.

Nobody questions band soundwise, after all, truth be told, quality of the production improved vastly last 20 years. It can put make up on Axl's voivce like it couldn't back in the day. Production now compared to the 90's is two different worlds.

7 hours ago, Asia said:

He doesn't speak almost at all, he barely addresses the crowd, doesn't even make any short comments anymore that he used to make all the time. He used to talk to the people and to the band on stage, Slash used to talk to the crowd, something he desperately avoids now, even Duff would say something every now and then.

All things the guys have been criticized for ad nauseam over the years. Too much downtime between songs. Too much talking and ranting. I think they are purposely avoiding doing it to prove a point. Also, if they didn't, you'd end up with a shorter setlist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Asia said:

It's not about hugging, it's about the overall atmosphere and feeling, the amount to which they are relaxed as well as about the talking - I personally loved Axl's long talks and the fact that Slash interacted with the crowd too. Like I said, you may prefer it the way it is, song after song, till the show's over and nothing happening in between but don't try to bring it all down to hugging thus attempting to make idiots  out of your intelocutors, cause that ain't right.

I know it hasn't been like these since the 90s and I know there's no going back to the 90's but that doesn't necessarily mean that nobody is entitled to their observations and opinions.

I really don't know why people expected them to transform their stage presence after they reunited. They do all interact and seem to be having fun, it's not like any of them were gonna be doing 10 ft leaps from the amps or anything so of course it's more subdued, and you simply won't get the intimate environment of a club/theatre in  stadium. And Axl and Slash do interact with the crowd, there's just no more 10 minute speeches from Axl :lol: