Road trip through Indiana

I'm driving through Indiana from Windsor Ontario tomorrow on my way to nashville

we are thinking of going through Lafayette to see Axls hometown. Has anyone ever been there?  What's it like. I'm sure it's quite dead there but thought it might be cool to see his hometown. Do we know where his childhood house is?

Secondly we will be stopping for the night in Indianapolis. This is off topic but has anyone been there before?  Any good tourist ideas for us to do while we are there?  We will only have a few hours.

thanks in advance!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vloors said:

All i can remember was that izzy and axl said it was boring there with nothing to do but smoke pot and get into trouble.

Axl used to go back every now and then to visit Arni pizza

Supposedly his old address was 2375 schuyler avenue

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/axl-roses-childhood-home/

Thanks for the link!  Still not sure if it worth going. About 2 hours extra driving. As much as I would love to see his old town can't imagine staying there for more than 10 min. Lol

2 hours ago, loosecannon3 said:

Thanks for the link!  Still not sure if it worth going. About 2 hours extra driving. As much as I would love to see his old town can't imagine staying there for more than 10 min. Lol

I'd definitely go if I were around. Just to see how it looks, regardless of wheather it's horribly boring or not.

• Like 1

I'm from Indianapolis, I promise you it is not worth your time to drive to Lafayette.  Its a small town with not much to see.  It looks exactly like 8 other small towns you'll drive through on your way to Nashville.  Pick one and picture trying to grow up there in a highly repressive religious environment (plus some added horrors from his dad), and you'll get a feel for what Axl's childhood must have been like.  The drive through Indiana is going to be long, flat, and boring.  Make sure your music is well sorted and you've got plenty of your favorite caffeinated drink (id go with that starbucks double shot thing personally).

As for Indianapolis, stay downtown and check out one of the new breweries that are supposed to be nice, they have some really nice restaurants downtown that are worth checking out (St Elmos, Mikado, Oceanaire, and probably a few more). After you leave downtown, its one giant suburb.  Absolutely do not consider staying the night anywhere else in Indiana (there are a few nice smaller areas, but they are most likely out of the way).

Edited by liqddynamite
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, loosecannon3 said:

I'm driving through Indiana from Windsor Ontario tomorrow on my way to nashville

we are thinking of going through Lafayette to see Axls hometown. Has anyone ever been there?  What's it like. I'm sure it's quite dead there but thought it might be cool to see his hometown. Do we know where his childhood house is?

Secondly we will be stopping for the night in Indianapolis. This is off topic but has anyone been there before?  Any good tourist ideas for us to do while we are there?  We will only have a few hours.

thanks in advance!

I did it two months ago- the house like in the video below, the west Jefferson high school, and pizza at Arni's.  Small blue collar town.  Fun to drive through and imagine Axl coming from here.  I've also been by his CA home.  It's up to you whether it's worth five minutes in front of his house.

The real address is in here..

https://spencerbrian.wordpress.com/2014/02/07/axl-rose-a-hometown-hero/

here's a video of a guy there..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, liqddynamite said:

I'm from Indianapolis, I promise you it is not worth your time to drive to Lafayette.  Its a small town with not much to see.  It looks exactly like 8 other small towns you'll drive through on your way to Nashville.  Pick one and picture trying to grow up there in a highly repressive religious environment (plus some added horrors from his dad), and you'll get a feel for what Axl's childhood must have been like.  The drive through Indiana is going to be long, flat, and boring.  Make sure your music is well sorted and you've got plenty of your favorite caffeinated drink (id go with that starbucks double shot thing personally).

As for Indianapolis, stay downtown and check out one of the new breweries that are supposed to be nice, they have some really nice restaurants downtown that are worth checking out (St Elmos, Mikado, Oceanaire, and probably a few more). After you leave downtown, its one giant suburb.  Absolutely do not consider staying the night anywhere else in Indiana (there are a few nice smaller areas, but they are most likely out of the way).

Thanks for this!  We decided to skip it since we are travelling with my two year old and three month old and to justify extra time in th car it would really need to be worth it and it didn't sounds like it was. We drove through Fort Wayne which was nice and then pretty much just stayed on the highway. We spent the night in scottsburg and as you say the drive has been fairly flat and repetitive. We hardly got to even see Indianapolis unfortunately. Kids slow you down. Lol. Today we are off to Louisville and then Nashville. On the way back we hope to get to some of those restaurants you suggested

12 hours ago, ericy210 said:

I did it two months ago- the house like in the video below, the west Jefferson high school, and pizza at Arni's.  Small blue collar town.  Fun to drive through and imagine Axl coming from here.  I've also been by his CA home.  It's up to you whether it's worth five minutes in front of his house.

The real address is in here..

https://spencerbrian.wordpress.com/2014/02/07/axl-rose-a-hometown-hero/

here's a video of a guy there..

:headbang::headbang::headbang:Lol - cool video 

I grew up in the area. There isn't much around (mind you I haven't been back in years) arnis pizza is worth the stop, also vons records (if it's still there?) is worth it to see.

If you were in to blind melon/Shannon hoon at all, shannons grave is in a nearby small town (dayton) his grave is towards the back of the cemetery. You cant miss it, it normally has a bunch of stuff people leave on it.

I know izzy still goes back to Lafayette from time to time. Haven't heard about axl being back since  the mid to late 90s.

Edited by ronartest2004

On 11/6/2016 at 0:35 AM, loosecannon3 said:

thanks in advance!

I live in Indianapolis and have lived in this state for my entire life, I'm 46.  Indianapolis is not exactly a tourist hot bed.   But, I live here, so I find most things here boring.   Lafayette is not a hot spot either, Izzy and Axl probably had it about right!  With that being said, I personally love Indiana and Indianapolis and I've been to Axl's house and seen it...and well, it's a house lol.  

EDIT:  I see now as I've looked at the replies, another Indianapolis person has given you sound advice :)

Hi @liqddynamite

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 1

I graduated from Purdue (located in West Lafayette) in 1982, and could very well have been at the Mall or the local sandwich shop at the same time Axl was.  :lol:  Lafayette is not very exciting, but on the other hand, you have all the opportunities afforded by having a Big 10 university in your back yard if you take advantage of them.  Obviously that wasn't a consideration for Axl & Izzy.  Anyway, traveling with two little ones you definitely made the right call to shorten your drive!  

I also lived in Indy for several years after graduation and really liked it.  It offers a great combination of activities and a reasonable size for getting around.  Besides downtown, Broad Ripple was a good time, at least back in the day.  

• Like 1

On 6/11/2016 at 0:38 PM, liqddynamite said:

I'm from Indianapolis, I promise you it is not worth your time to drive to Lafayette.  Its a small town with not much to see.  It looks exactly like 8 other small towns you'll drive through on your way to Nashville.  Pick one and picture trying to grow up there in a highly repressive religious environment (plus some added horrors from his dad), and you'll get a feel for what Axl's childhood must have been like.  

Yikes. Can you at least listen to music and dance in Lafayette or that's a big no no too?

1 hour ago, Jane M. said:

Yikes. Can you at least listen to music and dance in Lafayette or that's a big no no too?

Of course you can.  You can drink plenty of beer around town, too.  Whatever small religious faction Axl's stepdad belonged to did not influence college life, at least.  In the 1980-81 school year there were 27,000 undergrads at Purdue, and almost 5,000 graduate students.  While it's not the party school of its neighbor in Bloomington, there was never a shortage of bars or frat parties.  And there were many concerts, comedy shows, sports events of course, etc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iftheworld said:

I live in Lafayette and work at a certain Huge electronics store. Izzy just walked through a few days ago and bought himself a drone for drone racing and an iPad. My life was complete helping him out.

Dude...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iftheworld said:

I live in Lafayette and work at a certain Huge electronics store. Izzy just walked through a few days ago and bought himself a drone for drone racing and an iPad. My life was complete helping him out.

Shoulda told him that he should tour small clubs. I would go see him

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iftheworld said:

Oh he bought an iPad, that's going to be interesting :popcorn: And drone racing...is that a thing? :P

1 hour ago, dgnr said:

Oh he bought an iPad, that's going to be interesting :popcorn: And drone racing...is that a thing? :P

Nah, he probably wants it to keep an eye on his house perimeter so he can avoid journalists and stalkers like the ninja he is, or to watch Guns n roses shows for free with a privileged view from the air. Nice try, Stradlin, nice try... :lol:

P.S. Seriously, I looked it up and there's a US National Drone Racing Championship! xD

• Like 2

I just did a Google street view of Axl's home from 2007. There is a truck parked out front of the home with a sign on the truck door that appears to say, "Bailey":  https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4424962,-86.8697207,3a,54.2y,86.85h,77.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbD3RsNOlamZUfv8tpi4sNw!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

Edited by DMC-12
  • Like 2