Road trip through Indiana

Also, in reply to that video, I don't think anyone knows the actual address of Axl's childhood home. I was privately told a different address; one that matches up more with where he hung out as a kid and went to school and one way closer to where Izzy grew up.

That guy is, hilariously, mispronouncing all of the street names, too.

1 hour ago, Johnny Nightrain said:

I know this is late, but after I graduated from Purdue I lived/worked in Lafayette for about ten years before I moved to Indianapolis a few years ago. I second what most people have said... Lafayette is a nothing town. Not worth the trip.

Though, due to my former job, I did become friend's with Izzy's mom. She is super, super nice. I've yet to meet Izzy, but he does spend quite a bit of time in Lafayette. About five or six years ago he spent almost the entire summer there. He even hung out in the restaurant in the building where I lived. I'm sure he's been there a lot more since then, too. His mom would always tell me what he was up to and even brought me a bunch of his picks one time.

I don't want to divulge everything I was told, but here are some highlights...
Izzy got kicked out of the Meijer off of 26 because he tried to bring his dogs in.
For Christmas one year, Izzy's mom got Axl a shirt that said "Here Comes Treble."
She told me Izzy was going over to Europe to play in 2006, so I felt kinda cool when he showed up and news outlets reported it because I already knew.

Most interesting, and I think I can say this now, is that she said they were talking reunion way back in 2006; not that is was being planned, but they were open to do it when the time came. Of course, this was before (I believe) the whole "Slash is a cancer" thing.

At my job I had access to the old Jeff yearbooks and scanned some pictures that had never been on the internet before. I posted these to Metal Sludge for their Exposed section many years ago, but these are my original scans. The picture with Izzy skateboarding says he's the one on the board, but the dude flashing the peace sign looks an awful lot like high school Izzy. One of my co-workers sat directly behind him in biology. She said he was quiet.

Axl1976.jpg

Izzy1979.jpg

Izzy1979-2.jpg

All of this stories N' Photos:drool:

We need Izzy stories, fun fact N' photos thread/His own thread!:headbang:

• Like 2

So

-Axl is a shy N' smart kid with a loud mouth N' gets bullied because talks big (Before becomes a delinquent N' bad temper shows)

- Izzy is a quite Guy who be friends (Or stuck:lol:) with Axl the loud mouth kid (This is when His temper shows) hung out together N' smoking pot

- Shannon Hoon is a bully/jock in high school, Makes Me wonder if Izzy ever met/gets bullied by Shannon during high school

4 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

- Shannon Hoon is a bully/jock in high school, Makes Me wonder if Izzy ever met/gets bullied by Shannon during high school

There's a 5 year old difference, I don't think so, as in they weren't in high school at the same time.

5 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

So

-Axl is a shy N' smart kid with a loud mouth N' gets bullied because talks big (Before becomes a delinquent N' bad temper shows)

- Izzy is a quite Guy who be friends (Or stuck:lol:) with Axl the loud mouth kid (This is when His temper shows) hung out together N' smoking pot

Izzy and Shannon went to different schools are are like five or six grades apart.

2 hours ago, Johnny Nightrain said:

Oh, did you ever catch Dow Jones and the Industrials? Chris Clark, their bass player/singer, was actually the Purdue student body president in 1980. His whole campaign was just a scam to promote the band. Brilliant.

I might have seen them, if they played at Nick's on the Levee, or at the Stabilizer.  Of course, much beer may have been involved.  

Due to alternating semesters due to co-op, I missed some stuff, like maybe that election?  I do remember a composite character named "Hortence" or something like that running once while I was there.  :lol:

Here's some Lafayette & Purdue stuff from a 1991 Spin article Guns N' Neruoses by Dean Kuipers, lifted from this website - http://htgth.net/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=7:

Lafayette, Indiana, is a blue-collar town about 65000 small, the eastern part of the city separated by the rank Wabash River from west Lafayette and Purdue University. Not unlike many small towns, the river is a demarcation zone. One side doesn’t mix with the other, and for kids the rivalry is obsessive. The lower-middle-class residents of east Lafayette work at AE Staley’s corn syrup plants, out at the Subaru-Isuzu factory or at Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals. They fix their own cars at curbside. 

According to Monica, the gang hung out on local friend David Lank’s front porch, or at Axl’s grandmother’s house, which was right behind the frozen custard shop on the edge of Columbian Park, only a hundred yards from Axl’s house. Ironically, they often hung out on the park’s tiny stage and talked about how they might open some minds in their hometown.

This would agree with you that the house on 24th near "Shooler" (haha) Avenue isn't the right place.  You are right, that guy mangled the street names.  

« He came back from LA in the summer after my junior year, which would have been 82 », said Gina. « And then he spent the summer there, and we had a wonderful time. We did a lot of hallucinogenics. Wrote a lot of poetry. Did a lot of writing. Did lots of skateboarding. We’d go to parks and play Frisbee ; we always had music with us, Queen or Nazareth or AC/DC or Sex Pistols or Aerosmith. We’d go hang out at Purdue. We’d sit around in somebody’s room and do acid and paint on the walls.

14 hours ago, Johnny Nightrain said:

Also, in reply to that video, I don't think anyone knows the actual address of Axl's childhood home. I was privately told a different address; one that matches up more with where he hung out as a kid and went to school and one way closer to where Izzy grew up.

I just watched the video myself and am 99% certain that is not Axls house, the one where he grew up at least. 

On 9.11.2016 at 11:55 PM, iftheworld said:

I live in Lafayette and work at a certain Huge electronics store. Izzy just walked through a few days ago and bought himself a drone for drone racing and an iPad. My life was complete helping him out.

Dude, you sold Izzy an iPad and a drone and you don't even make a thread about it? :lol: People have made threads for way less.

Did you get a picture with him or talk to him (apart from giving him advice on drones)?

19 hours ago, Johnny Nightrain said:

I've long supected that the address and pictures that are commonly circulated as Axl's childhood home are not real. As in, it's the wrong address/house.

It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense going by everything else I've heard.

Also, I can't find my original picture (I took it like ten years ago), but this is supposedly the house where Axl grew up, according to a private source.

https://goo.gl/maps/dBEN6eujPX92

Additionally, and I'm not going to link to it, but if you search Tippecanoe County court records using Izzy's real name, you can see his speeding tickets. Most of them have a Santa Monica address, which I think it just a business address, but one has the address of the property where he was in the '90s in Indiana.

• Like 2

OK, so despite me saying that we were going to skip it, we actually hit Lafayette on the way home.  We had stopped in Indianapolis in the early afternoon to take my 2 year daughter to their famous kids museum and then found ourselves with a little extra time on our hands and we decided to make the trip to Lafayette.  I didn't expect much and I wasn't disappointed. lol.  It was a nice small town though.  We ate at Wendy's.  :headbang:

Of course we saw Axl's old house and I believe found the Arni's pizza that Axl used to frequent.  Other than that we drove right out of town.  Not much to see, but happy I went.  Always had this stop on my list.

axlhome.jpg   arni.jpg

On 11/14/2016 at 8:31 PM, Johnny Nightrain said:

I know this is late, but after I graduated from Purdue I lived/worked in Lafayette for about ten years before I moved to Indianapolis a few years ago. I second what most people have said... Lafayette is a nothing town. Not worth the trip.

Though, due to my former job, I did become friend's with Izzy's mom. She is super, super nice. I've yet to meet Izzy, but he does spend quite a bit of time in Lafayette. About five or six years ago he spent almost the entire summer there. He even hung out in the restaurant in the building where I lived. I'm sure he's been there a lot more since then, too. His mom would always tell me what he was up to and even brought me a bunch of his picks one time.

I don't want to divulge everything I was told, but here are some highlights...
Izzy got kicked out of the Meijer off of 26 because he tried to bring his dogs in.
For Christmas one year, Izzy's mom got Axl a shirt that said "Here Comes Treble."
She told me Izzy was going over to Europe to play in 2006, so I felt kinda cool when he showed up and news outlets reported it because I already knew.

Most interesting, and I think I can say this now, is that she said they were talking reunion way back in 2006; not that is was being planned, but they were open to do it when the time came. Of course, this was before (I believe) the whole "Slash is a cancer" thing.

At my job I had access to the old Jeff yearbooks and scanned some pictures that had never been on the internet before. I posted these to Metal Sludge for their Exposed section many years ago, but these are my original scans. The picture with Izzy skateboarding says he's the one on the board, but the dude flashing the peace sign looks an awful lot like high school Izzy. One of my co-workers sat directly behind him in biology. She said he was quiet.

Axl1976.jpg

Izzy1979.jpg

Izzy1979-2.jpg

These stories and pics are great.  Thanks for sharing  :headbang:

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Johnny Nightrain said:

Also, I can't find my original picture (I took it like ten years ago), but this is supposedly the house where Axl grew up, according to a private source.

https://goo.gl/maps/dBEN6eujPX92

Additionally, and I'm not going to link to it, but if you search Tippecanoe County court records using Izzy's real name, you can see his speeding tickets. Most of them have a Santa Monica address, which I think it just a business address, but one has the address of the property where he was in the '90s in Indiana.

Yes, I think this is the correct house and not the one discussed earlier in this thread.

I remember seeing pictures of that house years ago in some documentary or maybe here on the forum.

The pictures of Axl standing in the backyard of his childhood home look like they were taken there as well.

(This is why I can't stand misinformation being spread around; in this case it makes people go to  some effort to visit a house that probably has nothing to do with Axl.)

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2016 at 7:05 AM, dgnr said:

Oh he bought an iPad, that's going to be interesting :popcorn: And drone racing...is that a thing? :P

Yea Drone racing is pretty big in Lafayette apparently. I didn't want to treat him like a celebrity because he probably gets it all the time. But damn he drives a nice Mercedes van. His German Shepherd is huge.

Edited by iftheworld
  • Like 4