If That Ain't Country

Fitha_whiskey

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

each to their own :)

now tell me this is not a timeless song:

I listened to the "Traveler" album on a road trip to Nashville, and outside of maybe 3 or 4 songs, I just really didn't like the album. Too slow. Too depressing. Not my thing. 

That said, I've seen Chris sing at the Ryman a few times and that's a transcendent experience. There's really not a better voice in the business than his, I just wish that he had some material that was more suited to my tastes.

5 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Love his voice, don't like his material.

Those are fine country songs, but they've been done. Many times. That's cool that young people like em, but I hope it makes em check out the old timers. There is absolutely nothing new there. But that's ok- country is about the old, not the new. Sturgill Simpson- now that's new country. These wheels turn slow son.

3 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

I listened to the "Traveler" album on a road trip to Nashville, and outside of maybe 3 or 4 songs, I just really didn't like the album. Too slow. Too depressing. Not my thing. 

That said, I've seen Chris sing at the Ryman a few times and that's a transcendent experience. There's really not a better voice in the business than his, I just wish that he had some material that was more suited to my tastes.

wow that is cool! so am i wrong but did i see that you're a Cowboys fan? :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

wow that is cool! so am i wrong but did i see that you're a Cowboys fan? :)

That I am!

2 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Those are fine country songs, but they've been done. Many times. That's cool that young people like em, but I hope it makes em check out the old timers. There is absolutely nothing new there. But that's ok- country is about the old, not the new. Sturgill Simpson- now that's new country. These wheels turn slow son.

I couldn't possibly care less about Sturgill. His last album wasn't exactly a country from what I understand 

6 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

That I am!

I couldn't possibly care less about Sturgill. His last album wasn't exactly a country from what I understand 

I think you're basically into modem day pop- which is today's American country. Which is fine, but call it what it is.

George Jones would've told Frankie Ballard to go home and get his fuckin shine box. And Frankie would've started crying, and asked "what the fuck is a shine box"?

Its a different world we live in these days...

• Like 1

New stuff just doesn't have heart. I don't believe a damn word any of those cats say. No matter if they can sing good or if the music is ok, the songs have a very manufactured sound. Straight from the Nashville songbook. Pop hits is the sole purpose. Real country, you gotta be able to feel that shit. Feel the pain or the joy or whatever. It's kinda like the blues where a lot of the music is similar, but you can tell the real from the fake. Manufactured, that's a great word for modern country.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, J Dog said:

jabberwocky I like that shit. Will be checking out more of them. Any certain place to start?

Start with their 1st album (self-titled) up until Live Mutha. Anything after that isn't worth bothering with cause they changed their sound (all of the original members were fired/left except their lead singer *sounds familiar*) They were one of those bands that sounded better live than studio like Skynard was.

Here are some of their full albums

X-Rated (1975)

Street Party (1974)

High On The Hog (1973)

Early Times (1975)

If An Angel Came To See You Would You Make Her Feel At Home?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

BOA continued

Street Party (1974)

Live Mutha (1976)

Ruanch N Roll (1973)

Self-Titled (1971)

Keep The Faith (1972)

Ain't Life Grand? (1975)

ok this has been bugging me cos i thought i had seen them in concert, then i saw Jim Dandy and i was like yep! saw them in concert in Dallas back in '96. memory is hazy cos i was with my cuz and he brought tons of weed and we had smuggled in some kind of whiskey soooo.... i looked in my diary to try and see if it jogged my memory but it just said they were good lol! i do vaguely remember liking Jim Dandy :)

• Like 1