If That Ain't Country

Fitha_whiskey

Carmelita is one of the most powerful and evocative songs I've ever heard...it immediately makes me feel kinda...i dunno, what the guys singing about...despondent and...i can't even call it.  It has such an economy of words yet it throws up so many different feelings and images, i think it's fuckin' brilliant.  

• Like 1

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Carmelita is one of the most powerful and evocative songs I've ever heard...it immediately makes me feel kinda...i dunno, what the guys singing about...despondent and...i can't even call it.  It has such an economy of words yet it throws up so many different feelings and images, i think it's fuckin' brilliant.  

That guy is such a damn trip. He smart, funny as hell, and his style can't be nailed down to just one thing. My Shits Fucked Up is a personal favorite.

Possum will get that ass drunk.

I freely admit to being a dilletante when it comes to country music but the shit you've put my way thus far is fantastic and him up there is probably some of the best I've heard, not being an American I kinda got into country music by just pot fuckin' luck, going into the record store and picking up something that just looked authentic from the front cover, thank God I picked up Hank Williams...from there Merle Haggard, Ernest Tubb, Gram Parsons by association to The Stones, then i got into that distinction between Bakersfield country and other types...but i need fuckin' Americans to tell me whats what and their ain't that many knocking about around here so, yeah, thanks, especially for that guy, i got this Essential George Jones CD in my car ever since like 4 days after you got me to listen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Never heard that one before, but yeah, it's got that down n out feel that I love about a country song when you're fucked up in the night...

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

23 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

And all these years i thought that was an Elvis song, thats fuckin' amazing, i gotta get an album of this guy!

I don't know how i quoted myself here, but anyway... I think this version is so much better than Elvis' :ph34r:  However, the live performance Elvis gives with this is just ..OMG..you need a cigarette afterwards, even if you don't smoke lol :devilshades: 

Just now, Whiskey Rose said:

I don't know how i quoted myself here, but anyway... I think this version is so much better than Elvis' :ph34r:  However, the live performance Elvis gives with this is just ..OMG..you need a cigarette afterwards, even if you don't smoke lol :devilshades: 

Nah i agree with you, that guys version is pretty sick!

43 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I freely admit to being a dilletante when it comes to country music but the shit you've put my way thus far is fantastic and him up there is probably some of the best I've heard, not being an American I kinda got into country music by just pot fuckin' luck, going into the record store and picking up something that just looked authentic from the front cover, thank God I picked up Hank Williams...from there Merle Haggard, Ernest Tubb, Gram Parsons by association to The Stones, then i got into that distinction between Bakersfield country and other types...but i need fuckin' Americans to tell me whats what and their ain't that many knocking about around here so, yeah, thanks, especially for that guy, i got this Essential George Jones CD in my car ever since like 4 days after you got me to listen.

Thanks to modern country all country gets a bad wrap. It's simple music, yeah. But nothing wrong with simple. It started out as music for a blue collar community. Give them some good music about real shit, the good and love in life, as well as the struggle. You know country and hip hop and the blues are very similar. They come from a specific place, made by a specific type of person, for a specific people. And those audiences prefer straight ahead life stories. You just have to know to listen for. You have a good ear, you've picked up nicely.

3 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Great little forgotten album that finally got released a couple of years ago.

Fun fact: David Allen Coe wrote the first one

Fuckin love the DAC version of She Used to Love Me Alot. Cash of course does it right too. Obviously Coe worshipped him so that brings it full circle.

"yea it's true he's a yank he ain't no son of Hank!

and if you thought so well goddamn you're fucking dumb"

Shots fired :lol:

I fucking love Not Everybody Likes Us. It's so laid back and waltzy, but at the same time loud and proud. That's hard to pull off but he does it. Actually, he pulls off a lot of shit he probably shouldn't be able to.

Edited by J Dog

29 minutes ago, J Dog said:

"yea it's true he's a yank he ain't no son of Hank!

and if you thought so well goddamn you're fucking dumb"

Shots fired :lol:

I fucking love Not Everybody Likes Us. It's so laid back and waltzy, but at the same time loud and proud. That's hard to pull off but he does it. Actually, he pulls off a lot of shit he probably shouldn't be able to.

Yeah I know. I'm a 100% Yankee but I still love it... here's a return shot ✌️

• Like 1