Slash is the best in the world

1 hour ago, auad said:

Buckethead...

What about him?

Everybody has switched allegiances now.

Hitherto, 'Slosh' was the cancer - Duff , not much better; Nugnr possessed 'infinite superior technical abilities' than the old band, and were tremendously 'loyal' servants (it was often pointed out that Stinson had been in the band longer than Duff). Slash played ''cheesy rock'' whereas Nugnr was an 'artistic thing''. Izzy was considered fairly 'cool', guesting with Axl as he did, showing he is not bigoted against the new band like Slash, remaining Mr Neutral.

Now, Axl, Slash and Duff and the 'partnership agreement' are ''righteous truth''. Nugnr are dismissed as something barely worth mentioning. Izzy is essentially the new ''cancer'', and Adler ''should be happy with his scraps''. Sorum and Gilby are even lower specimens than Izzy! Fortus is ''god: a superior being than even the almighty Axl himself, a technical genius, a songwriting leviathan, a guru, a sage, a religious teacher''.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Mendez said:

Yeah, people never really follow every song they make, so they base their opinion on either their biggest hits (like SCOM, PC, WTTJ etc) and if they "mess up" covering someone elses song. I think Slash would be more highly regarded if he cleaned up his live technique. His technique is good enough, but often brown notes happen on his trickier stuff, as well as his bends not always being on the mark (most noticable on NR imo). 

But I have heard people (who are not GNR fans) say while Slashs technique is not perfect, that he is a good song writer.

John Frusciante is a great guitarist/song writer as well.

P.S. by technique I mean hitting every note correctly and precisely (meaning not having fret buzz)

I hear what you say but i think he improved big time regarding his technique this tour he's doing so well and I dare to see he is way better live now than in the 90's! Being sober plays a role too of course

I think Slash himself would be embarrassed by the comparison to Hendrix.

He played one of the safest renditions of Hey Joe I've ever heard at the JH tribute show a few years back - don't know if it was out of respect, but it was a stark reminder to me that they are just not in the same league. If Slash is from another planet, Jimi is from another dimension altogether.

Not trying to take away from Slash, he's my favourite living guitarist on the planet (right up there with Angus) and he has been the star of the tour for me. For me it's all about his feeling, timing and tone. I love that he improvises so much of what he does (the TIL solo is different every damn night!); he is a very "in the moment" player and it's what makes his playing so genuine and heartfelt. 

Just save the comparisons to Hendrix because they are not really justified, nor are they fair - Jimi literally transformed the way people looked at the electric guitar. The Slash we know likely wouldn't have existed without him - most of what Slash does, Hendrix did first. There is so much that Jimi pioneered and influenced; it's hard to see how any guitarist that follows him will ever come close to what he achieved.

• Like 4

I mean shit, Jimi turned up like this literally every day of the week:

Slash kinda just sounds like..... Slash. It's not bad, but just doesn't come close:

It's absolutely not a reflection on Slash. Slash is awesome in his own right. Jimi was just that fucking good

Anyway, Slash is probably playing better than he ever has right now. He got really sharp with SMKC but this is a new level. :shades: 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, highvoltage said:

He played one of the safest renditions of Hey Joe I've ever heard at the JH tribute show a few years back - don't know if it was out of respect, but it was a stark reminder to me that they are just not in the same league. If Slash is from another planet, Jimi is from another dimension altogether.

That is one of my top few Slash performances of all time. I hardly thought he played it safe. Maybe for the first few minutes while they were showcasing the song but he totally took the song over and tore it up for the last few minutes.. It was incredible.

45 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

That is one of my top few Slash performances of all time. I hardly thought he played it safe. Maybe for the first few minutes while they were showcasing the song but he totally took the song over and tore it up for the last few minutes.. It was incredible.

Fair call man, I'm not saying it's bad I just I think it's pretty low intensity. Even by Slash's own standards.

Monster Slash performance from the past few years that springs to mind is this one. This is one of my favourite non-Guns Slash moments:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, highvoltage said:

I think Slash himself would be embarrassed by the comparison to Hendrix.

Not trying to take away from Slash, he's my favourite living guitarist on the planet (right up there with Angus) and he has been the star of the tour for me. For me it's all about his feeling, timing and tone. I love that he improvises so much of what he does (the TIL solo is different every damn night!); he is a very "in the moment" player and it's what makes his playing so genuine and heartfelt. 

Just save the comparisons to Hendrix because they are not really justified, nor are they fair - Jimi literally transformed the way people looked at the electric guitar. The Slash we know likely wouldn't have existed without him - most of what Slash does, Hendrix did first. There is so much that Jimi pioneered and influenced; it's hard to see how any guitarist that follows him will ever come close to what he achieved.

He may have scaled back abit on the Jimi tribute as you say, not that he would outdo Jimi on his own shit anyway. I play guitar and Slash, just like Jimi is one of the few i can watch noodle around for extended periods.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1

Yeah? so what? Slash is the best Hard Rock guitar player alive. Who is better? (Angus aside)

Can't compare him to Jimi. But like I said before, he's the best retro Hard Rock guitar player. Like SRV was to blues kinda. an Albert King follower (like Slash) that really liked Jimi's playing. Comparable to Slash, just different genres.

And I'd say that cunt John Mayer is one of the best when it comes to blues and gay poppy soul-ish tunes. Joe Bonammasa can suck my dick.

Bucket is the best in the world all around. He can do anything and he's probably a genius. It's a shame his taste is not really just in the realm of hard rock altough Angus was an inspiration and look what he did for Chinese.

Frusicante is better than all of them when it comes to be closer, closer to what Jimi did, to that level of talent. (but clearly not as good as Jimi, no one was or ever will be)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, highvoltage said:

Fair call man, I'm not saying it's bad I just I think it's pretty low intensity. Even by Slash's own standards.

Monster Slash performance from the past few years that springs to mind is this one. This is one of my favourite non-Guns Slash moments:

Fuck yeah! This one is my all time favorite Slash performance!!  \m/ So fucking good

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I liked highvoltage's post but wanted to add right this but you did first. And you explained it a lot better than I could do.

Jimi was a crazy, wild, untamed guitarist who raped his guitar in a very positive way. 

And even when there are guitarists like Buckethead or Satriani with endless skills, or blues guitar players like BB King and Bonamasa who definitely play the blues far better than Slash does, to me is Slash up there with the heroes from the 70's like Page, Blackmore and Iommi.

And he is definitely better than Zakk Wilde right now 

I don't really know what the categories are for measuring a guitarist's greatness against others but I will say this; Slash is one of the only guitarists I can watch or listen to and be genuinely entertained and moved outside of the context of a song. The same way one can read a poem with no music. Dimebag also has that effect on me. His tone and creativness is fucking phenomenal. So yeah, it may not be accurate but I have little to no objection with Slash being labelled as the G.O.A.T.

Edited by AlexC

22 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Rolling Stone made him their best guitarist ever on one of their list

After leaving him out completely from their top 100 guitarist issue.

RS is no authority on guitar. I cringe when I read anything on that magazine about guitar.

18 hours ago, auad said:

Buckethead...

What about him?

He kind of falls in that category of good technique, but hasn't done anything.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Everybody has switched allegiances now.

Hitherto, 'Slosh' was the cancer - Duff , not much better; Nugnr possessed 'infinite superior technical abilities' than the old band, and were tremendously 'loyal' servants (it was often pointed out that Stinson had been in the band longer than Duff). Slash played ''cheesy rock'' whereas Nugnr was an 'artistic thing''. Izzy was considered fairly 'cool', guesting with Axl as he did, showing he is not bigoted against the new band like Slash, remaining Mr Neutral.

Now, Axl, Slash and Duff and the 'partnership agreement' are ''righteous truth''. Nugnr are dismissed as something barely worth mentioning. Izzy is essentially the new ''cancer'', and Adler ''should be happy with his scraps''. Sorum and Gilby are even lower specimens than Izzy! Fortus is ''god: a superior being than even the almighty Axl himself, a technical genius, a songwriting leviathan, a guru, a sage, a religious teacher''.

Not everybody. I still want Robin, bucket and brain in GNR. I like Adler now, cos he's clean. Adler now can do more to the live sound than Frank. Still want Izzy but only for a new album. Never liked Sorum that much, Gilby would be great for a permanent opener.

STILL WANT CD2 MORE THAN A REUNION TOUR.

16 hours ago, highvoltage said:

yes yes yes! ^^^^ this 

13 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

Not everybody. I still want Robin, bucket and brain in GNR. I like Adler now, cos he's clean. Adler now can do more to the live sound than Frank. Still want Izzy but only for a new album. Never liked Sorum that much, Gilby would be great for a permanent opener.

STILL WANT CD2 MORE THAN A REUNION TOUR.

You are in the minority sir (as I am for basically considering this 'reunion' a bunch of bollocks without Izzy there).

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

You are in the minority sir (as I am for basically considering this 'reunion' a bunch of bollocks without Izzy there).

It's worth your time, considering all those shitty bands out there. It's practically the same lineup they got in 93. At least the parts that matters.

16 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

It's worth your time, considering all those shitty bands out there. It's practically the same lineup they got in 93. At least the parts that matters.

Well that band didn't really release much sans a dreary covers' album, although I quite liked Gilby's Stones style.