Is Chinese Democracy the most "Guns" record out of all solo projects?

Shackler's is unlike anything else out there. Better, Catcher... you can't find that kind of unity in that quality with elements from different genres that actually work together like that.

Korn never sounded like Chinese. Some people here are missing the whole point of putting the ideas together, in context. Chinese does sound unique.

Chinese Democracy riff not exactly the most original, but it sounds great and in the context of the song nothing else could work. The big picture is that even some of the most original artists, guitar players, will come up with the same ideas exactly like humans in life that invent similar inventions or thought up something at about the same time. It happens.

And not on purpose for the most part. Music is derivative in nature. (art) That also applies to riffs sometimes. To all of it sometimes and naturally as time passes, it only gets more frequent. It has already reached a critical mass of duplication long ago. Deal with it. Korn already wrote all of it.

Edited by Rovim

No way. VR's Slither, Fall to pieces, Set me free, Slash's Watch this, Some Snakepit stuff, Gilbys Cure me or kill me are the sound of post 93 GnR not Axls stuff. 

You simply can't do a GnR record with only one original member. Slash, Duff, Steven, Izzy + Matt and Gilby were always the sound of GnR. Axl is the voice of GnR.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, maxpax said:

No way. VR's Slither, Fall to pieces, Set me free, Slash's Watch this, Some Snakepit stuff, Gilbys Cure me or kill me are the sound of post 93 GnR not Axls stuff. 

You simply can't do a GnR record with only one original member. Slash, Duff, Steven, Izzy + Matt and Gilby were always the sound of GnR. Axl is the voice of GnR.

Gilby and Matt are not the sound GNR (in my opinion)

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 3

LOL at people calling CD garbage or excrement. CD isn't all that amazing, but compared to some of the utter crap Slash or Izzy have released over the years, I'd choose it any day.

I don't like a lot of CD, but it still has the highest number of songs I like/can tolerate conatained on one single album. Meanwhile, there's only 2 or 3 songs I like on It's 5 o'clock somwhere, 2 or 3 songs I like on Contraband and so on. Same with a lot of Izzy's solo stuff.

So for that alone it probably deserves the title best album by any GNR member, as far as I'm concerned.

Most GNR sounding? Probably, together with some of Izzy's solo work. You can clearly hear GNR in songs like Gotta Say or Street of Dreams.

VR and most of Slash's solo stuff sound nothing like Guns. Very generic and modern sounding.

6 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Anyone saying anything from Chinese is better than Slither or Fall to Pieces should really reevaluate their music taste and knowlegde...

No thanks.

I like Slither and FTP, but they became boring really fast. Yet I still listen to Prostitute or Madagascar every now and then.

• Like 1

Alright, anyone else wanna come here and pretend their opinions are facts and everyone else is stupid for having a different taste/opinion? 

- CD is fn' shit, can't listen to it for more than 20 seconds!

- What? It's not half as boring as Slash's solo material.

- And let alone Velvet Revolver, so generic!

- What about Izzy? He writes the same simple songs over and over!

- You know what? Fuck Guns N' Roses, all those guys suck!! 

:shrugs:

• Like 3

I greatly enjoyed VR's first album, but I think the proposition of the OP is correct: CD is the most Guns of all the albums released by the classic lineup.  Songs like TWAT, Catcher, and Madagascar all sound to me like the natural progression of GNR from the Illusions era.  I don't really hear that from anything Duff, Slash, or Izzy has done since.  Only thing really missing from those songs that's synonymous with the old GNR song is Slash's bluesy guitar work.  Many of CD's songs, when played by Duff and Slash, really do sound more GNR than they did when played by the band from 2002 to 2014.  But I suppose that only makes sense.  

20 hours ago, Rovim said:

Riad is also Hey Bulldog by The Beatles. Bumble talked about how Axl mentioned it to him about Riad and he thought it was funny.

I keep meaning to listen to that song. What album is it on? Does it sound anything like Riad?

2 hours ago, maynard said:

Every CD thread is the same. Same excuses, same Rovim and wasted talking absolute shit about things they have no clue, "natural progression" - if adding hip hop beats and synth farts is the natural progression for Guns, I'm glad they broke up in the 90s. Yes, they broke up. CD is Axl's solo record. The only GNR thing about it is the name Axl chose for his solo project. Just like Trent Reznor chose NIN.

You know what is the natural progression? The drop-D Slither riff that still sounds like fucking hard rock. That's evolving without losing essence.

Natural progression my HUE-BR ass.

It's good. It's GN'R. You're wrong.

4 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

:rofl-lol:

Same riff.  Exactly the the same and equally awful.

Nope. It's a pantera riff or even a manic street preacher one. And even the the doo-doo-dee pattern argument is wrong. I mean, use your ears. Gn'R really uses that pattern as the riff has only 3 notes, but korn and pantera used more than 3 notes, there's some chugging in there. Just the fact that we have an even similar riff that came earlier makes your argument pointless.

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Nope. It's a pantera riff or even a manic street preacher one. And even the the doo-doo-dee pattern argument is wrong. I mean, use your ears. Gn'R really uses that pattern as the riff has only 3 notes, but korn and pantera used more than 3 notes, there's some chugging in there. Just the fact that we have an even similar riff that came earlier makes your argument pointless.

I'm not wishing to discern who was the originator of the riff I associate with Korn - call it the 'du-du-dee' riff if you will? It is a horrible riff regardless. I'm merely showing that ''Shackler's Revenge'' sounds like numetal or '1990s metal'.

2 hours ago, AlexC said:

It's good. It's GN'R. You're wrong.

Ok, I'll sink to your level of discussion. (Feeling a bit sorry for your limited abilities). Here we go.

It's bad. It's not GNR. I'm right.

Did I win? You certainly felt victorious after your amazing post, didn't you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maynard said:

Ok, I'll sink to your level of discussion. (Feeling a bit sorry for your limited abilities). Here we go.

It's bad. It's not GNR. I'm right.

Did I win? You certainly felt victorious after your amazing post, didn't you?

It was sarcasm. Don't menstrate all over the thread.

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yes, Manic street preacher's is definetely what I would call 90's metal/ Nu-metal.

On Gold against the Soul and Holy Bible there's metal elements but after the first 3 records they were influenced by Oasis, so the mainstream thinks of them as a Brit pop band in a way. Generation terrorists is a pop metal album. 

Then the flattening and compressing on albums like FNM, In Utero, Holy bible led to that nu metal sound, a no blues zone.  Not that it was the Manics who made it happen. 

• Like 1