Is Chinese Democracy the most "Guns" record out of all solo projects?

9 hours ago, default_ said:

The closer albums to GNR sound their members have released are JuJu Hounds, Five O'Clock and Believe in Me. Chinese has four songs that could fit in a GNR album.

This is not an opinion, just listen to the stuff. No matter if you dont lkei'em (I dont like Believe in Me that much myself) but the sound, the attitude and the feeling is there. Not in Velvet Revolver, not in Loaded, not in the whole NuGNR concept.

Dont get me wrong, I like CD, but it has little to do with GNR sound. The songs that could fit GNR over there are all Axl ballads like TIL, SoD or CitT, the minority of the album and probably stuff Axl created way back in the 90's.

LOL at the "Contraband is Rock N' Roll" comment.
Theres nothing Rock N' Roll about that mediocre alternative/new metal band called Velvet Revolver.

I would agree the production sound of CD was not hard rock. It had an 90s alternative rock production team Beavan (NIN, Marilyn Mansonn, Costanzo (RaTM), Wallace (Nirvana). 

But songs like Chi dem, Better, SOD, Twat, Catcher, Riad, Sorry, IRS, Madagascar, This I Love with UYI production would be accepted as GNR. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, default_ said:

They had the intention of creating a hard rock album, but at the moment they let Dave Kushner and Scott Weiland mess with the tunes... It became a generic mess. Bluesy rock n' roll, new metal and alternative rock are genres that really don't get along. 
Its the same stuff as Axl trying to mix hard rock and industrial. People hate Axl for what he did but loves Velvet Revolver just because they are a band full of cool guys that went into mainstream ears with their jumpy jumpy "new alternative metal". 

Axl mixed bluesy hard rock with alternative rock to great success. (artistically) He mixed an industrial vibe and shred with raspy and clean vocals on the same vocal line and that was Better.

He mixed a lot more elements than you've mentioned and mostly it worked. Chinese Democracy the song could have been written by Izzy. Chinese type material could benefit and be balanced greatly by Izzy's rock n' roll tunes.

with a couple of Slash songs and Slash's playing all over Axl's vault material it would have been ideal.

the 2002 line up of new Guns included a bunch of cool guys and unique. It was just something different that mixed other images and influences. Melting pots are nothing new to Guns. Appetite was that. Illusions as well. Chinese was another melting pot but with new influences and genres. Basically what Axl liked and thought he could fuse together in a Guns album.

Sorry was a Bucket tune that sounds like a Guns song with some Pink Floyd for example.

Edited by Rovim

There is an nu metal element on some songs on Contraband. On the shitty ones. But Slither, Sucker Train  Blues, Set Me Free and Dirty Little Thing have nothing to do with nu metal and are great modern rock n roll songs. 

With the three ballads Fall To Peaces, You Got No Right and Loving The Alien it surely is a strong album.

You are entitled to not like the music, that's your personal taste but to downgrade it as mediocre just because you don't like it is lame considering the success the band had with this album

• Like 1

Apart from all the discussions, surpised not seeing Slash's 'By The Sword' in the mentions as much as I think in this topic. For me that song has a hell of a Gn'R soul til from begining to the end with the solo and the lyrics..

Also I personally would love to watch or listen a Psycho Killer cover from Axl's voice performed by a reunited Gn'R.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, LesPablito said:

Apart from all the discussions, surpised not seeing Slash's 'By The Sword' in the mentions as much as I think in this topic. For me that song has a hell of a Gn'R soul til from begining to the end with the solo and the lyrics..

Also I personally would love to watch or listen a Psycho Killer cover from Axl's voice performed by a reunited Gn'R.

It has been mentioned by a few people but agreed and agreed. (welcome to the forum btw)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Velvet Revolver a mediocre band, I love this forum. Thanks for all the funny jokes, guys :)

But take in consideration who said it, a poster with the woeful, cheesy, fifth-grade-elementary-school-caliber lyrics of This I Love as a signature.  :lol:

In all honesty I'd give a free pass to that poor soul.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Free Bird said:

There is an nu metal element on some songs on Contraband. On the shitty ones. But Slither, Sucker Train  Blues, Set Me Free and Dirty Little Thing have nothing to do with nu metal and are great modern rock n roll songs. 

With the three ballads Fall To Peaces, You Got No Right and Loving The Alien it surely is a strong album.

You are entitled to not like the music, that's your personal taste but to downgrade it as mediocre just because you don't like it is lame considering the success the band had with this album

Well, I think there is ONE abominable song on Contraband, "Illegal I Song", which is so awful I see it as "VR's My World". But it clearly doesn't represent the record, let alone the band.

Thinking back, it was such a great time, seeing Slash and Duff reappear like that with a great new record. I'd love to see that happen with GNR now. It would be the cherry on top of this amazing world tour! 

9 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

But take in consideration who said it, a poster with the woeful, cheesy, fifth-grade-elementary-school-caliber lyrics of This I Love as a signature.  :lol:

Well, honestly I don't dislike This I Love so I don't have a problem with his signature.

4 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

A poster that fortunatelly has studied music since was born and fortunatelly has nice ears to stay away and not be fooled by a band just because it has Guns N Roses members, a teenage sellout group like Velvet Revolver! A "bad boys" one direction. 

Edited by default_

26 minutes ago, default_ said:

A poster that fortunatelly has studied music since was born and fortunatelly has nice ears to stay away and not be fooled by a band just because it has Guns N Roses members, a teenage sellout group like Velvet Revolver! A "bad boys" one direction. 

:facepalm:

Disclaimer: to be taken seriously in Guns discussions you must:

1. not like cheesy lyrics. Especially This I Love's, even if old Guns were one of the best when it came to the cheese.

2. fuckin' spell correctly, what... are you retarded?

3. Do not talk shit about one of Slash's mediocre projects

Edited by Rovim

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Have you seen Rose's latest tweets? He is talking like a fifteen year old girl on facebook these days!!

Sadly, I think Axl is too lazy to tweet his own tweets. It's probably Del actually typing it while Axl is having a snack and yells him what to tweet. Del was never good with words.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Disclaimer: to be taken seriously in Guns discussions you must:

1. not like cheesy lyrics. Especially This I Love's, even if old Guns were one of the best when it came to the cheese.

2. fuckin' spell correctly, what... are you retarded?

3. Do not talk shit about one of Slash's mediocre projects

Disclaimer: to be taken seriously in any rational discussion you ever have you must:

1. Not state as a fact something's mediocre based only on your own taste.

2. Not pretend you know better than everybody else and whoever disagrees with you is stupid and/or deaf.

This still needs to be clarified? :facepalm:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Well, yeah. And "a successful band loved by thousands of people around the world is mediocre because I don't like it" is the epitome of stupid opinions ;)

Yes. I think Slash's albums are mediocre because I don't usually like mediocre. This is my opinion. The epitome of stupid is to not realize it is my opinion.

I still like Slash albums cause it's Slash. How about actually reading my comments about By The Sword in this thread for example? it's not all bad.

Just because I'm not careful about putting an "imo" at the end of every fuckin' sentence, doesn't mean I think my opinion is superior. But maybe it's a hard sell so whatever? I am superior to you imo. ;)

Edited by Rovim

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Yes. I think Slash's albums are mediocre because I don't like mediocre. This is my opinion. The epitome of stupid is to not realize it is my opinion.

I still like Slash albums. How about actually reading my comments about By The Sword in this thread for example? it's not all bad.

And just because I'm no careful about putting an "imo" at the end of every fuckin' sentence, doesn't mean I think my opinion is superior. But maybe be a hard sell so whatever?

Actually, I wasn't talking about you but that dude with "nice ears" (?) who compares VR to One Direction and claims everyone who likes VR is because there are some "bad boys" in the band (WTF?!). I quoted you because you wrote that ridiculous disclaimer expecting people to accept a certain Slash project is mediocre (as if it was a fact) just because some dude said so, instead of accepting the fact that many people don't see it that way.

I find it perfect that you (or anybody else) find VR or any other band to be mediocre as long as you don't force your opinion on other people (which is what that other dude's been doing) and don't consider you to be a Slash hater at all, but whatever...

10 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Actually, I wasn't talking about you but that dude with "nice ears" (?) who compares VR to One Direction and claims everyone who likes VR is because there are some "bad boys" in the band (WTF?!). I quoted you because you wrote that ridiculous disclaimer expecting people to accept a certain Slash project is mediocre (as if it was a fact) just because some dude said so, instead of accepting the fact that many people don't see it that way.

I find it perfect that you (or anybody else) find VR or any other band to be mediocre as long as you don't force your opinion on other people (which is what that other dude's been doing) and don't consider you to be a Slash hater at all, but whatever...

No one is forcing shit. Look at my sig bro lol. I like Contraband. The mediocre Slash projects comment was just to contrast Slash superiority, as an example that is ain't as superior as some claim it to be. I like opinions other than my own, people here mocking others for liking This I Love lyrics or spelling words wrong. That was the reason for my post.

I guess coming from me could be seen as ironic and black kettles so that's why it failed.

Edited by Rovim

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

No one is forcing shit. Look at my sig bro lol. I like Contraband. I like opinions other than my own, people here mocking others for liking This I Love lyrics or spelling words wrong. That was the reason for my post.

I guess coming from me could be seen as ironic so that's why it failed.

Are you kidding me? As I just said, YOU are not the one doing it, but there's that other dude trying to convince people that if they like VR it's because there are GNR members or "cool guys" on it. That's clearly trying to discredit those opinions that differ with his. But again, YOU ARE NOT THE ONE DOING IT!!!

I pointed the third point of your disclaimer, I agree with the first two. I don't understand nor share the hate for This I Love and I couldn't care less if someone misspells a word. English is not my native language so I might ofen misspell words as well, I don't think it's some sort of a crime.

20 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Are you kidding me? As I just said, YOU are not the one doing it, but there's that other dude trying to convince people that if they like VR it's because there are GNR members or "cool guys" on it. That's clearly trying to discredit those opinions that differ with his. But again, YOU ARE NOT THE ONE DOING IT!!!

I pointed the third point of your disclaimer, I agree with the first two. I don't understand nor share the hate for This I Love and I couldn't care less if someone misspells a word. English is not my native language so I might ofen misspell words as well, I don't think it's some sort of a crime.

Please don't point fingers sir. It's rude.