R.I.P. Leonoard Cohen

Georgy Zhukov

Very sad to hear this! Such an amazing singer and songwriter. Not to mention fantastic live performer and a humble and charming personality on and off stage. I love his work. RIP Leonard Cohen :(

Feeling extra lucky that I saw him in 2012 in Ghent and again in 2013 in Rotterdam. Truly one of the most humble and amazing artists I've ever seen. 

Edited by username
  • Like 1

I was lucky enough to see Leonard Cohen on his last tour in 2013. He played a marathon concert in the breathtaking Orpheum Theatre in Memphis. By my side was the girl I had just started dating at the time. We have lived happily together since then.

Ohh the feels that hit me when I heard it this morning........

A great artist.

RIP Mr. Cohen

49 minutes ago, bran said:

never heard of him or his music but 50 years in music is just crazy RIP

Sure you have, even if it's just through covers. Joe Cocker did First We Take Manhattan. Just about everybody did Hallelujah (most notably probably Jeff Buckley). 

Edited by username
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, username said:

Sure you have, even if it's just through covers. Joe Cocker did First We Take Manhattan. Just about everybody did Hallelujah (most notably probably Jeff Buckley). 

yeah i know the hallelujah song, i didn't know that was him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bran said:

yeah i know the hallelujah song, i didn't know that was him.

Yeah, he had a lot of influence on a variety of artists. The crazy thing about him is that he never started his career until he was in his 40's. Before that he was a novelist. One day he decided to pick up an acoustic guitar and sing. As years goes by his voice became deeper, his range more limited and his music more experimental. He had a way of words. He can get to anyone. Even in his old age, he still had that effect on people. This is such a big loss.

i love his Suzanne...i came across a book at a library sale and it was mentioned often in one of the books i bought and i just had to hear it. in the book the version by Noel Harrison was the one the character loved but i have never come across that one. the one by Judy Collins is beautiful though.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎11 at 10:48 AM, Len Cnut said:

Hes probably in the top three of most literate and literary rock stars ever.  It was always that old argument, Dylan vs Cohen.  We have a lot to thank the Jewish race for.

I thought the old argument was Dylan vs Donovan? (which was amusing, at best)

Cohen was in his own stratosphere.

Phil Ochs also.

I like Cohen's stuff but I have never explored his oeuvre in great detail beyond a compilation album I possess.

Like a bird on the wire,
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

I love that lyric.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1