METALLICA's KIRK HAMMETT Says GUNS N' ROSES Has 'Turned Into Somewhat Of A Nostalgia Act'

All bollocks. There are millions of statements about having a load of songs without vocals!!

And you should no that Axl speaks a complete load of bollocks. Everything he has said has been untrue,

Trilogy? Where are the other two albums?

Reunion - 'not in this lifetime;? Oh, there is Axl, Slash and Duff reuniting I see.

The guy speaks a load of cock and balls.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

All bollocks. There are millions of statements about having a load of songs without vocals!!

And you should no that Axl speaks a complete load of bollocks. Everything he has said has been untrue,

Reunion - 'not in this lifetime;? Oh, there is Axl, Slash and Duff reuniting I see.

There are millions of statements from respectable people that were there that they had enough tunes in 1999. Work has started in 1997. I know it's difficult to admit for you, but it does fit with what May and everyone has said with the tunes we heard.

Axl performed Chinese Democracy, Madagascar, Riad, The Blues, and Silkworms in 2001.

2 years before that we KNOW he had : Oh My God, Catcher, I.R.S, There Was A Time, Atlas Shrugged.

You're just unwilling to accept facts here which frankly is kinda silly.

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

No doubt Axl had a gazillion outtakes by 1999 but no vocals. He had not finished the album. He failed the interscope deadline which was set in 1998 - this is why Robin left (the first time). It is all there on chinese whispers.

Sure. Whatever. Axl had Catcher in 1999 with vocals, had Atlas Shrugged according to Classic Rock with vocals, I.R.S with vocals, There Was A Time with vocals, and then he SOMEHOW had Chinese, Madagascar, Riad, and The Blues in 2001 all with vocals. May backed all that up plus others.

Just cut the shit Daisy. You're showing everyone here you're incapable of being objective cause it's Axl. (again)

• Like 1

Just now, Rovim said:

Sure. Whatever. Axl had Catcher in 1999 with vocals, had Atlas Shrugged according to Classic Rock with vocals, I.R.S with vocals, There Was A Time with vocals, and then he SOMEHOW had Chinese, Madagascar, Riad, and The Blues in 2001 all with vocals. May backed all that up plus others.

Just cut the shit Daisy. You're showing everyone here you're incapable of being objective cause it's Axl. (again)

You're forcing me to post chinese whispers quotes? To show up your stupidity?

Oh dear oh dear (this is not going to be pleasant!).

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You're forcing me to post chinese whispers quotes? To show up your stupidity?

Oh dear oh dear (this is not going to be pleasant!).

It's not pleasant already cause you're stubborn and incapable of discussing it constructively. Why are you ignoring my logical explanations? lol. Is it cause you don't have shit to back up your claims?

Your theory about Axl is so delicate. I understand. I've read Chinese Whispers. Excellent read. But Axl himself, producers, guitar players, magazines, A&R people, plus our own ears shows us you're mistaken. Or much too stubborn to accept Axl did in fact have tunes with full vocals for at least an album in 1999.

Why don't you post the quotes from Classic Rock magazine? Zutaut? Axl himself? Brian May? Axl had trouble just singing, it took time to come up with vocals, but he managed to record vocals in 1999 that were still used on the final version of Chinese!

Post as many quotes as you like, you're still waaaaaay off.

NO VOCALS! ONLY SNIPPETS OF IDEAS!

Edited by Rovim

On 11/11/2016 at 7:29 AM, Original said:

Kirk Hammett- LOL.  Guns (biggest band in the world around the UYI era) reunites after 25 years for what so far (only 35 shows or so) and everyone wants new music immediately....  Lets just enjoy the situation.  If we are 18 + months down the road then we'll talk.  Slash n Axl hadn't spoken in over 15 years, probably gonna need some time before they can sit down and write and record.  I'm confidant it will happen...patience. 

I agree with you on this subject. First tour to feel out the fans and see how well they will be accepted, then onto new music. I heard Axl say he already gave some stuff to Duff and Slash and they really liked it. So hopefully it won't all fall apart and make me heartbroken. I'm really excited for new music. :headbang:

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It's not pleasant already cause you're stubborn and incapable of discussing it constructively. Why are you ignoring my logical explanations? lol. Is it cause you don't have shit to back up your claims?

Your theory about Axl is so delicate. I understand. I've read Chinese Whispers. Excellent read. But Axl himself, producers, guitar players, magazines, A&R people, plus our own ears shows us you're mistaken. Or much too stubborn to accept Axl did in fact have tunes with full vocals for at least an album in 1999.

Why don't you post the quotes from Classic Rock magazine? Zutaut? Axl himself? Brian May? Axl had trouble just singing, it took time to come up with vocals, but he managed to record vocals in 1999 that were still used on the final version of Chinese!

Post as many quotes as you like, you're still waaaaaay off.

NO VOCALS! JUST SNIPPETS OF IDEAS!

I will reply to this further (I'm watching the cricket right now). To be continued...

From Chinese whispers

I think [Jimmy] Iovine put Roy Thomas Baker in the producer seat, because he didn't think the raw sounds [on the Sean Beavan album] were good enough." (Tommy, Bass Player, 04/09)

Reports therefore suggest that the Sean Beavan album was completed to a presentable degree in early 2000 and delivered to Interscope. Whomever made the judgment call on the album sound (either Tom Whalley or Jimmy Iovine) and enlisted Roy Thomas Baker, effectively pushed back an album Axl appeared to consider "almost done".

7 hours ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Fair enough. Im not a fan of outtake albums. I get why they're done, but Its never been for me, I have found lots of those extras to be boring. I like Live extras, but studio throwaways arent for me. If its something that you enjoy, then continue to do so.

Well, it is not always as simple as outtakes being the 'throwaways' from a project - as The Basement Tapes  and the 'Lifehouse' (The Who) attest. And without outtakes we would be denying ourselves some of music's greatest moments, such as prime time Mick Taylor era Stones outtake, '' Jiving Sister Fanny'' and the entirety of Hendrix's First Rays of the New Rising Sun material, e.g. ''Dolly Dagger'' and ''Freedom''. You yourself even say later,

Beyond Magnetic Ep was funny to me because some of those songs were better than what ended up on DM in the first place. 

Just because they have released a bunch of stuff, doesnt change that they make their living from live shows consisting of 90% old material. obviously with a new album release coming, they are going to add those songs to the set list and at some point I would imagine that they will play most if not all of those new songs live, just like they did with DM. 

They were performing circa four-six new songs per show on the World Magnetic Tour, the tour in support of Death Magnetic. Here is an average setlist,

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-setlist/metallica-3bd680c8.html?tour=World+Magnetic

That would place the percentage of old material at circa 67% - 77%. As I mentioned to Wasted, material from that album was played 878 times on that tour from Death Magnetic, considerably more than any other album (in second place, The Black Album, provided 655 songs). Every song was played from that album; here is the breakdown, the number of times played in brackets,

That Was Just Your Life (165)

The End of the Line (144)

Broken, Beat & Scarred (142)

The Day That Never Comes (136)

Cyanide (129)

All Nightmare Long (88)

My Apocalypse (36)

The Judas Kiss (30)

The Unforgiven III (7)

Suicide & Redemption (1)

The notion that a Metallica setlist is comprised of mostly nostalgia cannot be sustained in light of facts like this.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well, it is not always as simple as outtakes being the 'throwaways' from a project - as The Basement Tapes  and the 'Lifehouse' (The Who) attest. And without outtakes we would be denying ourselves some of music's greatest moments, such as prime time Mick Taylor era Stones outtake, '' Jiving Sister Fanny'' and the entirety of Hendrix's First Rays of the New Rising Sun material, e.g. ''Dolly Dagger'' and ''Freedom''. You yourself even say later,

They were performing circa four-six new songs per show on the World Magnetic Tour, the tour in support of Death Magnetic. Here is an average setlist,

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-setlist/metallica-3bd680c8.html?tour=World+Magnetic

That would place the percentage of old material at circa 67% - 77%. As I mentioned to Wasted, material from that album was played 878 times on that tour from Death Magnetic, considerably more than any other album (in second place, The Black Album, provided 655 songs). Every song was played from that album; here is the breakdown, the number of times played in brackets,

That Was Just Your Life (165)

The End of the Line (144)

Broken, Beat & Scarred (142)

The Day That Never Comes (136)

Cyanide (129)

All Nightmare Long (88)

My Apocalypse (36)

The Judas Kiss (30)

The Unforgiven III (7)

Suicide & Redemption (1)

The notion that a Metallica setlist is comprised of mostly nostalgia cannot be sustained in light of facts like this.

And let's not forget that Metallica plays 3 songs every night from an album that isn't released yet. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rovim said:

He still delivered an album to the label in 1999, that they have rejected. Work began in 1997. These are all facts.

Wasted and Rovim

In the other May 1, 1998 amendment, [...] Axl Rose agreed, among other things, to deliver that new studio LP (which was even then long overdue under the Recording Agreement) no later than March 1, 1999 and received a substantial advance from Geffen in return." (Greatest Hits lawsuit document)

"The label paid Mr. Rose $1 million to press on with the album, with the unusual promise of another $1 million if he delivered "Chinese Democracy" by March 1 of the following year." (New York Times, 03/06/05)

As the following states, the album was incomplete later than March 1999,

"It was great for a while, but then it became terribly frustrating not seeing anything completed because no lyrics were finished. [...] No one song was ever completed and I was there for two and a half years." (Robin, Wall of Sound, 05/00)

"I was excited about the material - the band sounded good. But we'd get a song done to an extent and wait for Axl to write a lyric and/or song. I couldn't work on songs with titles like 'Instrumental 34' anymore." (Robin, Kerrang, 12/99)

^^^

Proves exactly jack shit. Robin wasn't there all the time, no one was there all the time. Putting it out of context doesn't work cause Axl completed vocals on Oh My God, released that in 1999, worked on Catcher and Atlas Shrugged with may! a tune with quite a lot of lyrics. (Catcher)

And There Was A Time, I.R.S? how in the hell did Axl finish those and other vocals for tunes in 1999, much of which we and people close to the band have heard? including producers! including the AUDIO RECORDING of Brian May saying there are 2 albums full of tunes with vocals in 1999.

Axl played songs to Classic Rock, May said 2 albums worth of vocals, Oh My God released in 1999, and the 1999 versions of I.R.S,Catcher, and There Was A Time leaked.

And in 2001, it becomes irrelevant anyway cause by then we know he had:

Madagascar

The Blues

Oh My God

Silkworks

Riad

Atlas Shrugged

I.R.S

This I Love

Catcher

Chinese Democracy

So even if he was in a rut, and I believe there was a short time when he was, he still listen to me: still recorded and finished vocals in 1999 for a number of tunes, and by 2001, 4 years since work has started, he has completed an album worth of vocals.

You can't dispute any of it. You choose to support your claims with a collection of quotes, and it is a great one, but I support mine with facts in context to what we have heard. What leaked, what got released, and what people that have worked with Axl with no reason to lie have said.

Edited by Rovim

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Who are you to say when life starts and ends?

8 hours ago, wasted said:

I guess so. Rick Rubin specializes in this kind of think like it's 1987. It's not necessarily a bad thing. I like DM. But don't act like you're some trailblazers. 

I don't know... I think it's normal for most bands in the autumn of their career to return back to their roots, or at least kinda. You can see that with most bands... after a few albums they start experimenting and trying something new, flirting with different genres, and after that period they slowly return to their original sound with maybe still some of the influences from their ''experimenting'' days. Same goes for Metallica. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are being nostalgic. It's a natural evolution, I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I don't know... I think it's normal for most bands in the autumn of their career to return back to their roots, or at least kinda. You can see that with most bands... after a few albums they start experimenting and trying something new, flirting with different genres, and after that period they slowly return to their original sound with maybe still some of the influences from their ''experimenting'' days. Same goes for Metallica. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are being nostalgic. It's a natural evolution, I think.

It's easier to see it as nostalgia. And that's okay. Nostalgia is natural, it happens for a reason. The main reason seems to be to sell GNR bowling jackets. We like nostalgia.

Whole point is this guy is kind of talking down on GNR for being a nostalgia act WHEN METALLICA Do The same shit. Sorry I got caps fatigue. 

17 minutes ago, Estranged Reality said:

It cracks me up to think how quickly people have become dissatisfied.

Two years ago all anyone wanted was a reunion with Slash. We thought there was a good chance Axl could go back into hiding for another decade. Not only did we get the reunion, we got a massive tour, we got Axl fronting AC/DC, and we got consistently good behavior from the guy (no late shows, riots, etc.).

If this had been the 2012 lineup and they were touring again I'd agree, but let's cut them some fucking slack. This is the beginning of their comeback. For all we know, they very well might put out new material next year. Let's stop bitching and appreciate the fact that these guys are even playing together again. I think things are progressing nicely, and yeah, it'll be disappointing if they just continue touring the same setlists for a decade or something, but I kind of doubt that will happen.

I think the worst case scenario at this point is that Axl goes radio silent (or ditches GN'R for AC/DC fulltime) and Slash gets bored and goes back to his solo career and they don't play together again for a long time, or until the offers start coming back in. 

QFT

58 minutes ago, wasted said:

It's easier to see it as nostalgia. And that's okay. Nostalgia is natural, it happens for a reason. The main reason seems to be to sell GNR bowling jackets. We like nostalgia.

Whole point is this guy is kind of talking down on GNR for being a nostalgia act WHEN METALLICA Do The same shit. Sorry I got caps fatigue. 

And his favorite group of all time is the Stones who are the biggest and longest running pure nostalgia act in the history of history. 

21 hours ago, Rovim said:

Even cooler is that I take into consideration what I know, what Axl has said.

Take into cosideration that Axl said a lot of stuff that didn't happen. 

21 hours ago, Rovim said:

Just cause he's not available doesn't mean he wouldn't have contributed greatly to Guns

Nobody is denying this. But unfortunately it seems that Izzy isn't available. Does it mean they shouldn't release any music therefore?