METALLICA's KIRK HAMMETT Says GUNS N' ROSES Has 'Turned Into Somewhat Of A Nostalgia Act'

6 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Factually incorrect.

Right :facepalm:

Critically acclaimed, packed full of great singles & regular rotation on Mtv & radio?

No? Oh, that's right, it was largely laughed at & quickly forgotten because it was incomprehensibly shit.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_considered_the_worst

As I said, Its boards like this where you are most likely to find people who like it.

6 hours ago, Towelie said:

TBH, RHCP are a bit of a nostalgia act these days. Most recent setlists are made up of 3 new album tracks and then the rest is Californication, Give It Away, Under The Bridge, Dani California, By The Way.... eg, the hits.

I think its safe to say any band operating for over 30 years has a nostalgia factor. They become multi generational.

I really like the sound of the new RHCP music, Frusciante was irreplaceable & I'm with you was very weak. I thought they were done.

Kirk definitely has a point. Metallica are just about to release their new album, and having heard it from start to finish it is phenomenal. I don't think he's being disrespectful, when he said it's sad I genuinely think he means that. 

Metallica and GnR were the two biggest rock/metal bands of the late 80s/early 90s and were peers. Since then Metallica have carried on releasing new music whereas GnR imploded. 

However, we can all cut the GnR boys some slack as Axl, Slash and Duff have only just got back together and after all the acrimony touring is the right first step. Writing music together is the next step hopefully! But just bring back Izzy for the writing sessions...

Edited by Original GNR

1 hour ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

Right :facepalm:

Critically acclaimed, packed full of great singles & regular rotation on Mtv & radio?

No? Oh, that's right, it was largely laughed at & quickly forgotten because it was incomprehensibly shit.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_considered_the_worst

As I said, Its boards like this where you are most likely to find people who like it.

It got mixed reviews. Both good and bad. Everybody knows that, but that's beside the point. You claimed that people who like CD are only found on boards like this, which is simply factually incorrect. That's it. You just made a factually incorrect statement and I pointed it out cause I'm not a fan of bullshit. But it's no big deal. Let's move on.

Its very simple. Since GNR and Metallica toured in the 90s there was tension for obcious reasons. As 'cool' as one band may be with another whats to stop aband, especially with a new album dropping, to talk shit and get as much press coverage leading up to the albums release. Pure piggibackong on the 'nostalgia' act

I think the topic of which direction GNR could/should take a new album is far more interesting than anything that Kirk says. 

Somevreally interesting opinions on here about which direction a new album should go. 

Personally I'd like to see a mix of fast rockers and ballads in s similar vein to how illusions was set out. However if it was just a rock album I wouldn't be too upset (beggers can't be choosers) :)

as others have said though, this is probably one of the final phases of GNR and the clock is ticking on this in terms of it being realistic. 

as others have said though, if Axl comes off Europe and is happy with the way it panned out, and they throw some serious ideas around then get in the studio... Maybe it could happen. But if be really sceptical with out izzys input as to what the final quality would be and that doesn't seem an option at the minute. 

Would love to see it called UYI 3 with a mix of everything, 12 songs, half rockers, half ballads and all fresh ideas, no CD junk and it including Adler and izzy on it but sadly I think I'm dreaming. Lol 

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

It got mixed reviews. Both good and bad. Everybody knows that, but that's beside the point. You claimed that people who like CD are only found on boards like this, which is simply factually incorrect. That's it. You just made a factually incorrect statement and I pointed it out cause I'm not a fan of bullshit. But it's no big deal. Let's move on.

I hope typing that made you feel better. 

25 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Thank you Pitman for staying true to yourself, a musician with intergrity is a rare breed indeed.

pitmannostalgiatourdeleted.jpg

pitman as turdy as he appeared was the only guy other than axl that was going for his whatever the fuck new vision was 

NOW it's more of a caricature tour without any other material or at least even switching up the fucking setlist 

3 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

pitman as turdy as he appeared was the only guy other than axl that was going for his whatever the fuck new vision was 

NOW it's more of a caricature tour without any other material or at least even switching up the fucking setlist 

It's just sad to see the only new songs on the setlist in regard of the 'biggest reunion of the 21st century' are Coma and Double Talkin' Jive. The setlist is also shorter than ever.

3 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

It's just sad to see the only new songs on the setlist in regard of the 'biggest reunion of the 21st century' are Coma and Double Talkin' Jive. The setlist is also shorter than ever.

ya, they could at least throw in dead horse pyt, invite izzy for fucks sake so he can take care of 14 years and dust n bones - then you got the spark back that is needed give him 100grand per song then he'll do it. That's 200k per show. Izzy kind of money that he deserves for being the main founder. 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

13 hours ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

Nonsense, CD is rubbish given the resources that went into it. The only voices that claim otherwise are found on boards like this.  

Kirk is on the money, Metallica have been creative & productive through out their long & successful career, it is absolutely understandable that they have slowed down somewhat as they aged & had family's.  

To call them a nostalgia act because they have & play a strong back catalogue looks like sour grapes, are RHCP's & Pearl Jam nostalgia acts as well?

Sunjective opinion about CD doesn't change the fact that Metallica are as much a nostalgia band as GNR. 

DM was a conscious effort to recapture the past. Complete nostalgia album from the guru of nostalgia Rick Rubin. 

CD was a conscious effort to never make the same record twice. 

Stadium arcadium was a buffet of Chili pepper nostalgia. All that you can't Leave behind by U2 it least had a knowing title. GNR with Slash will probably do their nostalgia record next. 

Point is Metallica have no grounds to be acting above other bands when it comes to nostalgia. They have been living off it since the Black album. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wasted said:

Sunjective opinion about CD doesn't change the fact that Metallica are as much a nostalgia band as GNR. 

DM was a conscious effort to recapture the past. Complete nostalgia album from the guru of nostalgia Rick Rubin. 

CD was a conscious effort to never make the same record twice. 

Stadium arcadium was a buffet of Chili pepper nostalgia. All that you can't Leave behind by U2 it least had a knowing title. GNR with Slash will probably do their nostalgia record next. 

Point is Metallica have no grounds to be acting above other bands when it comes to nostalgia. They have been living off it since the Black album. 

metallica sucked since LOAD GNR since spaghetti incident 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wasted said:

They have been living off it since the Black album. 

This is not even true!

I saw Metallica on the Load tour and they must have played six new songs! I have already proven the point that they were playing 4-6 songs from DM on that tour.

32 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is not even true!

I saw Metallica on the Load tour and they must have played six new songs! I have already proven the point that they were playing 4-6 songs from DM on that tour.

One was retro sell out, the other desperate nostalgia. 

Last time they did anything good was Black album. Without it they'd be as big as Megadave. 

• Like 1