METALLICA's KIRK HAMMETT Says GUNS N' ROSES Has 'Turned Into Somewhat Of A Nostalgia Act'

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I actually prefer Load over the black album

I probably do too. Having said that Sandman, Sad But true, Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters are classics. I can't actually the remember the names of the Load tracks. Until it Sleeps is one. 

The point is they use the nostalgia and retro cards as much as any band. 

Edited by wasted
Fuel
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think the band which provides five more albums to another band's one is infinitely less nostalgic, but perhaps that is just me!

Depends. I think Metallica are a little up in the game. But as CD cancels out DM. And Hardwired is also nostalgia release. It's only St Anger which sets them apart for me. 

Have Metalica put out more nostalgia albums? Yes. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think the band which provides five more albums to another band's one is infinitely less nostalgic, but perhaps that is just me!

Quite, unless you shift the goal posts to the extent that you are required to to produce a ever differing style or sound, to everyone's liking, every time you release a album & never play your back catalogue on tour to not be considered a "nostalgia act".  

As I stated earlier, any act performing over a 30 year period has a degree of nostalgia attached to it, Metallica included. However they are not close to GnRs level of nostalgia.

Billy Corgan was a stubborn self absorbed fuck in regard to changing sound & only playing new music. Look where that got him.

• Like 2

im so fucking pissed at GNR right now in a whole other way than when they were broken up now it just stings with no excitement danger or unpredictability

im tempted to sell my tickets in mexico city fucking half ass reunion bring izzy and steven for that show and create a buzz whatever it costs how many yachts do you want water ski behind axl 

even the whole sorum thing is messed,, how good would it be to see him on Double Talkin Jive that's his best song imo and he co-owns that one with slash 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

8 hours ago, wasted said:

Depends. I think Metallica are a little up in the game. But as CD cancels out DM. And Hardwired is also nostalgia release. It's only St Anger which sets them apart for me. 

Have Metalica put out more nostalgia albums? Yes. 

You are simply setting your own personal parameters to define 'nostalgia' in order to chastise Metallica and exonerate Guns, parameters which allow you to dismiss four whole albums from the Metallica discography!!

10 hours ago, wasted said:

DM was a conscious effort to recapture the past. Complete nostalgia album from the guru of nostalgia Rick Rubin. 

How do you even know this? I respect everyone's opinion, you can't argue an opinion anyway, but throughout this whole thread you've been making one comment after the other like they are facts while you can't possibly know that unless you are or were part of the band. It always fascinates me when people from the internet act like they know it all without having any connection to the band.

Or wait a minute, are you Jason Newsted?

Edited by EvanG

It really is quality over quantity that counts but at this stage I'd settle for quantity from Gnr. 

Hard to find too many great reunion albums 

Deep Purple - Perfect strangers 

UFO - Walk on water 

Black Sabbath 13

Judss Priest - Angel of Retribution 

All good efforts but never truely getting  back the soul of the band 

Metallica and Bon Jovi have new albums out this month, it's true. However, I would put money on Axl having an album's worth of material in the vaults that's objectively better than either of them and that you'll see no more than one song from those albums, if that, in their setlists this time next year.

Edited by Stress Fracture

2 hours ago, Stealmylife said:

It really is quality over quantity that counts but at this stage I'd settle for quantity from Gnr. 

Hard to find too many great reunion albums 

Deep Purple - Perfect strangers 

UFO - Walk on water 

Black Sabbath 13

Judss Priest - Angel of Retribution 

All good efforts but never truely getting  back the soul of the band 

The UFO one was epic.

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are simply setting your own personal parameters to define 'nostalgia' in order to chastise Metallica and exonerate Guns, parameters which allow you to dismiss four whole albums from the Metallica discography!!

I don't dismiss them. I enjoy to a certain extent. But they are nostalgia albums. Last 3 are definite nostalgia. Nostalgia is not a crime against humanity. GNR are doing a reunion tour, seems like nostalgia to me. 

11 hours ago, EvanG said:

How do you even know this? I respect everyone's opinion, you can't argue an opinion anyway, but throughout this whole thread you've been making one comment after the other like they are facts while you can't possibly know that unless you are or were part of the band. It always fascinates me when people from the internet act like they know it all without having any connection to the band.

Or wait a minute, are you Jason Newsted?

I read their interviews and listened to the album. Just my opinion. It's been fairly balanced, accepting GNR are also but so are Metallica. Kirk shouldn't have an opinion because he doesn't know for sure. I feel like I respected everyone's opinion. 

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

I don't dismiss them. I enjoy to a certain extent. But they are nostalgia albums. Last 3 are definite nostalgia. Nostalgia is not a crime against humanity. GNR are doing a reunion tour, seems like nostalgia to me. 

But they are four albums of new material you're dismissing, four albums of new songs!!! If Metallica were thoroughly nostalgic they would have just done what Axl did and dispense with albums as an creative outlet altogether, instead playing the hits during the same time frame as the Load and Death Magnetic tours, both of which featured circa five new songs apiece. The really lame cash happy casual fans are going to prefer Battery over My Apocalypse, aren't they?

Besides, by your logic, the Stones were being thoroughly nostalgic when they did Beggars Banquet (a back to the roots album), instead of what actually happened, which was the beckoning in of their most brilliant run of albums. Queen were being nostalgic when they did Innuendo. Neil Young was being nostalgic when he did Ragged Glory (a return to Crazy Horse garage rock goodness). The Beatles were even a nostalgia act when they did Let it Be.

Your parameters are so strict, just about any act who has ever existed would immediately find themselves branded a 'nostalgia act' for significant periods of their career. It is absurd logic you are applying to Metallica, a band who are - whatever one thinks of them - doing the exact thing the majority of GN'R fans would swap a limb for: the release of albums.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But they are four albums of new material you're dismissing, four albums of new songs!!! If Metallica were thoroughly nostalgic they would have just done what Axl did and dispense with albums as an creative outlet altogether, instead playing the hits during the same time frame as the Load and Death Magnetic tours, both of which featured circa five new songs apiece. The really lame cash happy casual fans are going to prefer Battery over My Apocalypse, aren't they?

Besides, by your logic, the Stones were being thoroughly nostalgic when they did Beggars Banquet (a back to the roots album), instead of what actually happened, which was the beckoning in of their most brilliant run of albums. Queen were being nostalgic when they did Innuendo. Neil Young was being nostalgic when he did Ragged Glory (a return to Crazy Horse garage rock goodness). The Beatles were even a nostalgia act when they did Let it Be.

Your parameters are so strict, just about any act who has ever existed would immediately find themselves branded a 'nostalgia act' for significant periods of their career. It is absurd logic you are applying to Metallica, a band who are - whatever one thinks of them - doing the exact thing the majority of GN'R fans would swap a limb for: the release of albums.

Most bands do become nostalgia acts to a degree. It's natural. But when you start recycling riffs from old albums they are nostalgia albums.

Metallica shows are based on old hits. Not many go for Fuel or a ballad off Load. They are touring off nostalgia. Yet Kirk wants to point the finger. A little hypocritical. It's a minor thing I would say. Hardly anyone cares these bands are living off nostalgia. 

Your mixing up nostalgia with a retro thing. When the Stones did it was new and hip. But it also seemed like an natural evolution. That happened with AFD. Guns injected the 70s into the 80s. I suppose when Guns did it was cool, when Metallica did it seems like a way to stay relevant after thrash died commercial. Both still retro. 

Edited by wasted
Retro

13 minutes ago, wasted said:

I read their interviews and listened to the album. Just my opinion. It's been fairly balanced, accepting GNR are also but so are Metallica. Kirk shouldn't have an opinion because he doesn't know for sure. I feel like I respected everyone's opinion. 

I'm not saying you don't respect other's opinion, but you make it sound like you know exactly what Metallica's reasons were with albums like Load and DM, in a very cynical way, and that's ok if it's merely your opinion, but you are stating those opinions as facts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I'm not saying you don't respect other's opinion, but you make it sound like you know exactly what Metallica's reasons were with albums like Load and DM, in a very cynical way, and that's ok if it's merely your opinion, but you are stating those opinions as facts.

It's just my take, that you disagree with.

I could say you are stating Metallica aren't a nostalgia act as fact.

Which you don't know for sure. It's just your opinion.