METALLICA's KIRK HAMMETT Says GUNS N' ROSES Has 'Turned Into Somewhat Of A Nostalgia Act'

7 hours ago, lassie said:

Yes of course it is subjective, but why should i say "IMO" when it was my opinion i wrote about?  And yes some like the sound of the new metallica stuff, and others don't. 

I reacted to it because you stated your opinions as facts, that's how it came off. But good to know you realize that it's just an opinion and not everyone will agree.

13 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

When was the last time Guns N' Roses released a music video for a song? Since I Don't Have You. Sad!

He can never top that make out scene with the hot chick in it, so he never bothered making another video again, I don't blame him!

2 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Well he spent money on it and felt confident enough to talk about it on the billboard interview. But you're proving my point. It's sad.

Yeah, it's sad cos CD songs have a lot of potential for great videos, especially the "epic" songs.

But yeah, Kirk is right. The other night i was checking all the old demos, stuff i have from 1999-2007. Good times, what was keeping us here checking everyday the forum was the new music. Well at least that was my case.

5 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

Yeah, it's sad cos CD songs have a lot of potential for great videos, especially the "epic" songs.

But yeah, Kirk is right. The other night i was checking all the old demos, stuff i have from 1999-2007. Good times, what was keeping us here checking everyday the forum was the new music. Well at least that was my case.

I think Axl could have done what Metallica just did with hardwired. Music videos for every song on Chinese. It would have been great, first to please the fans who have waited for so long and in a way, elevate those songs in our minds. 

I know Axl had ideas for Shackler's Revenge (Mickey Rourke as Shackler) and If The World (third world and live footages). But again, never happened.

Edit: and it's not like Axl had no budget at all.

Edited by Silent Jay

3 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

I know Axl had ideas for Shackler's Revenge (Mickey Rourke as Shackler) and If The World (third world and live footages). But again, never happened.

I always imagined a Shackler's Revenge MV to be in an animated style, like a non-stop storyboard/comic strip moving left to right. Bold outlines, loads of action and psychedelic at times...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

I always imagined a Shackler's Revenge MV to be in an animated style, like a non-stop storyboard/comic strip moving left to right. Bold outlines, loads of action and psychedelic at times...

Quite the same I guess. It would have been terrific. I always imagined This I Love to be a simple close up of Axl, playing piano in a dark huge place with beams of light.

But that's for another thread.

EDIT: The thing is, we didn't get to see how Axl ages, and more importantly ageing with his songs. So any future music videos release will be really weird for the causual watchers.

Edited by Silent Jay

• RussTCB locked and unlocked this topic

A little off the ongoing discussion but I'm just  writting say that, as a oldschool Metallica fan (that even had a cover band a few years ago), I've actually enjoyied some songs on their new album. They only thing I really dislike about Hardwire is the post production, it sounds terrible. But song wise, it actually has some cool stuff.

I dont really care for anything they did post Justice, but hey, they did something like it or not! You can't really call Metallica a nostalgia act.

"They are a Nostalgia act 'cause they only play past hits live"

Its not really their fault if people goes over there to listen to old stuff. They even did some pool to fans decide what they should play lol

So if they are a nostalgia act, i'd love gnr to be a nostalgia act like them.

• Like 1

Metallica's New Album is actually pretty damn amazing. a mixture between Load, Reload and Master of Puppets. James sounds amazing, has some really catchy vocal melodies and riffs. Best songs include: Halo on FIre, Moth into the Flame , Confusion, Spit out the Bone, Now that we're dead among others. It's a pretty solid record.

Coolest thing is, they actually released a video for every song on the damn record and for many of the bonus tracks like Lords of Summer.

That just validates the point Kirk was Making, they may have a lot of hits in the past but this band is moving forward and giving their fans all they desire. They also streamed a live concert in HD yesterday and it was kirks Bday.

I wasn't really following metallica before this release, but this one is actually well done and really makes me happy for them and their fans.

Gn'r could learn some work ethics with Metallica, we'd all gain from it.

I can't even imagine gn'r doing videos because chinese didn't even have one video, and here we have metalllica releasing 12 videos in one day!

• Like 2

All 'older' bands have a hint of nostalgia, nothing wrong with that! Metallica play the same fucking brilliant songs they made back in the day at almost every show, even last night in london they only played  a handful from the new album. 

Just about to give the Metallica album a serious go, had a few listens so far but it hasn't stood as out being really good like Death Magnetic which i thought was great. 

Axl, Slash and Duff got back together to perform all their hit songs and get some money out of it with backing musicians. There's no denying this is a nostalgia act. Axl has been playing pretty much the same setlist since 2001, technically, we can still call it Chinese Democracy World Tour or Appetite For Democracy world tour. If they got back together, made some new music with the backing band and then went on tour, then it would be a legit 'reunion' or 're-brand'.