METALLICA's KIRK HAMMETT Says GUNS N' ROSES Has 'Turned Into Somewhat Of A Nostalgia Act'

6 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

GNR have not released an album in 25 years. They have just reunited and are playing shows for the first time since 1993. Metallica never broke up, it is stupid for him to make these comments. GNR haven't even finished their SA tour yet. Axl was touring with AC/DC as well. If GNR continue to tour for a couple of years with this exact same list, and show no signs of writing new music, then Kirk will have a point. Until then, he needs to shut the fuck up.  

It is a nostalgia trip what they are doing now, but there's nothing wrong with that. If they didn't want that label attached to it they should have made a new album first and then go out and play a lot of new songs combined with the old songs, instead of immediately going out on tour and cashing in.

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

But with all their potential, if we seek quality and something close to a Guns album, you're only gonna find it consistently as an album, not just 2 to 3 tracks here and there on Chinese post old Guns.

Izzy is talented enough to always make it great, but it ain't Guns cause you need Axl to perfect it, and Slash to perfect it, Duff bass lines, musical logic, and arrangements and Steven for the Gn'R groove and feel.

But even only with Axl, some other talented musicians, a decade, and 15 mil, it's still stands tall as the best post old Guns project, cause it's the only album that pushed forward artistically and it still contains very Guns like tunes that could fit on Illusions.

The times where Chinese pushed the most forward musically or lyrically, it still works. Better and Catcher. SOD, This I Love, and There Was A Time all could have been on Illusions.

I disagree completely. IMO there aren't any songs on Chinese that could fit the Illusions. Not as they are.

It's just your opinion that it is the best post Guns album. It's not a fact. To me and to many other prople it's clearly not.

You say Izzy is talented enough to make it great but he needs Axl and the others to perfect it.

But as Izzy needs Axl, Axl needs Izzy. And Slash. They all seem to need each other. Axl isn't an exception. A decade and 15mil proved that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

several songs fit illusions like better, this i love, street of dreams, if the world, prostitute, there was a time, madagascar, irs. basically all the songs from guns n roses chinese democracy cd fit illusions. count me on as another saying it is best post guns record. clearly it is and clearly it is to axl to

Well it cannot be that clear as I (and a few others) find it absolute shit.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

The way I see it this is reunion tour. Well if it a reunion tour they play hits and mostly old songs. That is the case in all reunion tours. Sure if eventually they stay together, in the long run they could come up with brand new songs. But not right now, I would rather listen to Perfect Crime, Pretty Tied up, Locomotive and other UYI songs. Maybe at some point they make some changes to the set list. I hope so. But next year in Buffalo, Montreal and Europe nobody should expect 3 or 4 brand new songs. And if we take into consideration what Myles Kennedy just told the media (We have a thread about it) Well chances are this reunion will be over by 2018. If that is the case, why would they bother to write and play new songs?

I think any song would have fit on UYI because those two albums already had such a wide variety of styles anyway. It is all over the place in ideas and styles. If complete shit songs like Shotgun Blues or You Ain't the First could have made those albums, even the shittiest songs on CD could have made it.

Personally I still like about half of CD and if Slash had contributed his signature sound to them, then maybe almost half a dozen of those CD songs wouldn't have been outdone by the greater part of songs on UYI.

1 hour ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

several songs fit illusions like better, this i love, street of dreams, if the world, prostitute, there was a time, madagascar, irs. basically all the songs from guns n roses chinese democracy cd fit illusions. count me on as another saying it is best post guns record. clearly it is and clearly it is to axl to

To me the Illusions can be classified as classic rock while CD, well, not so much. Whatever it is, it's another genre. To me it's not even the natural progression or the next step. It's easily 5 steps above.

56 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

To me the Illusions can be classified as classic rock while CD, well, not so much. Whatever it is, it's another genre. To me it's not even the natural progression or the next step. It's easily 5 steps above.

Only as classic rock? Don't you agree that there are many different genres on the UYI records? From the punky Shotgun Blues and RNDTH, to the more metal oriented songs like Locomotive, Don't Damn me and Coma, to the more prog rockers like Estranged and November Rain, to the southern rockers like Dust N Bones, to the more classic rock songs like Civil War, to the more pop stuff like Don't Cry and Yesterdays, etc. 

Even on AFD you could hear all those influences, but with UYI it became even more extreme because a lot of the songs were written seperately.

7 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Well it is also fifteen years later, in the age of computers and digital recordings. Different times different musicians. You can't produce old classic rock with Buckethead, Robin Finck, Brian Mantya or Chris Pitman.

3 hours ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

illusions is classic rock. chinese democracy is progressive

Illusion fall into dad-rock category these days.

6 hours ago, EvanG said:

Only as classic rock? Don't you agree that there are many different genres on the UYI records? From the punky Shotgun Blues and RNDTH, to the more metal oriented songs like Locomotive, Don't Damn me and Coma, to the more prog rockers like Estranged and November Rain, to the southern rockers like Dust N Bones, to the more classic rock songs like Civil War, to the more pop stuff like Don't Cry and Yesterdays, etc. 

Even on AFD you could hear all those influences, but with UYI it became even more extreme because a lot of the songs were written seperately.

Being classic rock doesn't mean it can't have different styles.

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Stones, CCR, Hendrix, Deep Purple, Clapton, Dire Straights, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Guns, Steppenwolf, Uriah Heep, ACDC and many more. All bands with totaly different styles but all them can be classified as classic rock.

Same with the Illusions. There are some hard rock songs, some ballads, some blues rocker, but aside of My World you can call it classic rock IMO.

22 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Well it is also fifteen years later, in the age of computers and digital recordings. Different times different musicians. You can't produce old classic rock with Buckethead, Robin Finck, Brian Mantya or Chris Pitman.

Illusion fall into dad-rock category these days.

Doesn't change my point one bit.

And WTF is dad rock?

11 hours ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

illusions is classic rock. chinese democracy is progressive

Progressive? Where? Just cause it has some interesting and different noises it doesn't mean it's progressive 

Edited by Nicklord

8 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

I think the worst thing about CD was the fact that it was release soooo late (and the fact that it was release under the GnR banner). The songs would have made so much sense if they had been release in 2000 as they were supposed to be. Recently I re-read this article (depressing as it is Link) and my mind immediately jumped to the lyrics of Madagascar, Scraped and Prostitute. 

Throughout the night, Rose seems anxious to finally have his say but wishes he could wait until the new album is released and can "speak for itself." - Axl Speaks, RS 2000

Edited by KiraMPD

17 hours ago, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

cheech27qj3bg4ws.gif~c200

I forced myself to give that dogs breakfast of an album a second chance, just in case I was having an aneurysm I was unaware of the first listen. Nope, still a total unlistenable mess. SOD has a GNR song in it, the rest I'm not so sure about.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Being classic rock doesn't mean it can't have different styles.

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Stones, CCR, Hendrix, Deep Purple, Clapton, Dire Straights, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Guns, Steppenwolf, Uriah Heep, ACDC and many more. All bands with totaly different styles but all them can be classified as classic rock.

Same with the Illusions. There are some hard rock songs, some ballads, some blues rocker, but aside of My World you can call it classic rock IMO.

Ok, well, I guess everyone has a different definition of classic rock then.