Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Man, what a disappointment this is. The campaign is alright, but who buys these games for the campaigns in 2016?

I actually loved the Black Ops III multiplayer (I was a total nerd and even Master Prestiged in it, I sunk way too many hours into that game), but the multiplayer here is just so poorly orchestrated. I'm not sure exactly what it is, something I can't quite put my finger on, but it's just off. I think Activision has always made the more "realistic" COD games and Treyarch did the futuristic cartoonish sci-fi angle quite well, but now it's like Activision is trying to keep up with Black Ops, so they carried over all the stuff from BO3 (rocket packs, wall runs, etc.) without any of the grace or fluidity. It just isn't a smooth experience.

It's highly frustrating because it's near-impossible to get any solid scorestreaks, the game constantly spawns enemies right behind you so that you're immediately flanked no matter what you do. I used to routinely go 30+ in BO3 with only a handful of deaths, and I struggle to even go positive at all with Infinite Warfare. The maps are muted, ugly, industrial, totally lacking in vibrancy or colors -- or fun, frankly. BO3 might have been too unrealistic and futuristic for some longtime COD fans but at least it was fun and colorful and imaginative. This game is dreary, muted, depressing.

I dunno, I'm really disappointed so far and I might not really bother continuing to give the multiplayer a chance. I've sunk 2 - 3 hours into it and I find no reason to continue.

• Like 1

It really shouldn't be a yearly franchise. If they actually took some time to develop some of the ideas then it could be an impressive franchise but instead it's become quite stale. The last one I played at the time of release was MW2. Even then, I've never been a huge fan of the games.

13 hours ago, bran said:

modern warfare 2 was my last COD game that i bought played a lot online. the lack of recoil and the maps are just awful and now with the future setting they have completely lost me.

Modern Warfare 2 was the best. I still play it. 

I am actually one of those weirdos who play these games for campaigns. I went for years without an Xbox and now that I acquired a 360 from some relatives I have been playing Call of Duty 2, World at War, Modern Warfare trilogy, Ghosts and  soon Black Ops I and II. I know Ghosts was unpopular but I would rather they make another Ghost or a Modern Warfare 4 instead of futuristic bullshit. They should have stopped at Advanced Warfare. 

• Like 1

played these games up to modern warfare 1. but then it hit me, it's respawning enemies all over the place. and weapon limit? regenerating health? no thanks...

i could never justify paying 70 euro every year on an annual update of a flawed game. i can name a few better things to spend my cash on

multiplayer never interested me unless it's local. an N64, goldeneye, friends, pizza and beer. it can't possibly get better than this.  i'll pass the bucket on anonymous internet sessions

Edited by action

• 3 weeks later...

They have a rotating schedule with 3 studios(Treyarch, Sladgehammer & Infinity Ward) so there is no reason to have 3 futuristic games in a row. Defeats the whole purpose. That said, we all know Infinity Ward hasn't been anything close to the real Infinity Ward since Vince Zampella and Jason West split and started Respawn, so Infinity Ward and this years game clearly the weak link. Activision knew fans are wise and that's why they packaged the far more desired Modern Warfare Remastered in the Legacy Edition.

Worked for me as I bought the Legacy Edition for MWR and it's such the superior game as you'd expect. Awesome to have boots and the ground again and there is such a gravitas to it missing in Infinite Warfare(at least the multi-player). I will say the Zombie map in Infinite Warfare is fresh and the highlight of that side of the package.

They'll start selling MWR standalone in the next 6 months, but I've seen the Legacy Edition marked down to like $50 for the holidays and it's a screaming buy at that price, so no real reason to wait.

Would KILL for World at War 2 by Treyarch or even a remaster....

Fans got sick of World War II didn't they? They jumped to futuristic warfare once Modern Warfare started to wore out its welcome. COD 2 was the best of the WWII games. Introduced the regenerating health which is far more convienient than finding a health pack. Sure it is unrealistic but not more realistic than finding a health pack and get shot a dozen times in the process.

I thought Black Ops had a good thing going with the Cold War timeline but I wasn't feeling the 2025 storyline. I enjoyed Ghosts more. But the levels that look place in the 80's were fun. Especially when you get to take on Soviet tanks and attack helicopters on horseback in Afghanistan.

On 11/12/2016 at 10:14 AM, Estranged Reality said:

Man, what a disappointment this is. The campaign is alright, but who buys these games for the campaigns in 2016?

I actually loved the Black Ops III multiplayer (I was a total nerd and even Master Prestiged in it, I sunk way too many hours into that game), but the multiplayer here is just so poorly orchestrated. I'm not sure exactly what it is, something I can't quite put my finger on, but it's just off. I think Activision has always made the more "realistic" COD games and Treyarch did the futuristic cartoonish sci-fi angle quite well, but now it's like Activision is trying to keep up with Black Ops, so they carried over all the stuff from BO3 (rocket packs, wall runs, etc.) without any of the grace or fluidity. It just isn't a smooth experience.

It's highly frustrating because it's near-impossible to get any solid scorestreaks, the game constantly spawns enemies right behind you so that you're immediately flanked no matter what you do. I used to routinely go 30+ in BO3 with only a handful of deaths, and I struggle to even go positive at all with Infinite Warfare. The maps are muted, ugly, industrial, totally lacking in vibrancy or colors -- or fun, frankly. BO3 might have been too unrealistic and futuristic for some longtime COD fans but at least it was fun and colorful and imaginative. This game is dreary, muted, depressing.

I dunno, I'm really disappointed so far and I might not really bother continuing to give the multiplayer a chance. I've sunk 2 - 3 hours into it and I find no reason to continue.

Missed this before but your criticisms of IW multiplayer are spot on. The maps(and spawns) do suck and so refreshing to go back and play MWR. Kicks the shit out of IW on every level and that's not nostalgia talking. Almost jarring going from IW to MWR and being reminded how off track things have gotten(at least with Infinity Ward)...

Edited by Turn_It_Up