Johnny Thunders biopic

Zint

In Cold Blood demystified him a bit where it wasn't all about the fighting and being strung out, I could see why a biopic's being made. Adrien Brody would probably be my pick even if he's a little too old to play someone in their teens (although you have CGI, makeup, camera filters smoothing lines out), but most of the NY Dolls stuff up to the early 90s, I don't see why not. 

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

How are they gonna sanitise that? :lol:

Gang War, WHAT a fuckin' band, Wayne Kramer and Johnny Thunders on the same squad, whooooooooooooo!  Any fans of Johnny that ain't heard the Gang War recordings you need to get on that.

Where to start with Gang War?

4 hours ago, J Dog said:

Where to start with Gang War?

Theres not really anywhere but the one place to start with Gang War, they never got round to making an album, just a bunch of live recordings out there but those recordings are just fantastic. The album i think is just called Gang War.  They must've been planning to record or something because they wrote some tracks but for one reason or another they never got round to it.  It was basically the first band Kramer got together after comin' out from his 1975 prison stretch for cocaine trafficking.

Edited by Len Cnut

8 minutes ago, J Dog said:

It's always money or dope.

I love that Pistols diss track :lol:

So do i...grudgingly :lol:. Bastards, havin' a go at my boys :lol:  To be fair though The Pistols (or rather Johnny Rotten, the rest of the band were massive fans, Vicious idolised Johnny Thunders, Steve Jones is on record saying that he copied all of Johnnys onstage moves and is embarassed now looking back at how badly he was trying to ape him) started it.  

And his observations are so sharp too!  The rich kids bit aside, he kinda went to England and totally figured them out...fact is they kinda were kids, teenagers, the bands as well as the crowd, they hadn't seen shit compared to Johnny.  

Listen to som of the live recordings of Johnny back in them days in England too, he REALLY gives it to the crowd with both barrels...and those were some seriously violent audiences.

Edited by Len Cnut

5 hours ago, J Dog said:

Liking Gang War, gonna try and find that album today. Hate I got into Thunders so late but better than never I guess.

One of my favorites...

Greatest sounding guitar riff ever.  Stolen from Bad Company apparently.  One time Johnny got loaded, cut a gig mid gig and ended up standing on a table getting the audience to shout out riffs and he'd tell em where he stole it from :lol:

On 11/13/2016 at 2:12 PM, Len Cnut said:

sacrilegious.  not to be all precious about this but watch this sudden stream of 'oh i've been into his stuff for YEARS!' comin' out of the woodwork.  i hate the idea of biopics, they have an awful sanitising homogenizing effect.

what about Sid and Nancy? if that was a biopic :shrugs:

23 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

what about Sid and Nancy? if that was a biopic :shrugs:

It was fuckin' awful really.  Not very accurate at all.  I loved Gary Oldman in it and i like the scenes in New York, the mood of them, it was really grim, kinda touched upon showing junkiedom for what it was...generally though, in terms of doing the subject justice I didn't think much of it at all.  Same with The Doors film, Val Kilmer was great and some scenes were great as a work of fiction but i don't think it did Jim or The Doors or the story much justice.

• Like 1

Just now, Len Cnut said:

It was fuckin' awful really.  Not very accurate at all.  I loved Gary Oldman in it and i like the scenes in New York, the mood of them, it was really grim, kinda touched upon showing junkiedom for what it was...generally though, in terms of doing the subject justice I didn't think much of it at all.  Same with The Doors film, Val Kilmer was great and some scenes were great as a work of fiction but i don't think it did Jim or The Doors or the story much justice.

yeah Gary Oldman was awesome. he usually is. i kinda hated Chloe Webb.

The Doors at least had young, hot Val Kilmer...

24 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

yeah Gary Oldman was awesome. he usually is. i kinda hated Chloe Webb.

The Doors at least had young, hot Val Kilmer...

Chloe Webbs annoying but so was Nancy Spungen so it kinda fit.  I just thought that riding off in a taxi heaven bit was unnecessarily cheesy and kinda not reflective of how the two ended up...at all.  I mean it obviously wasn't, they died but i mean as a cinematic technique.