The Damned's David Vanian Says GN'R 'Knocked All The Life Out Of' New Rose Cover

Interview With The Damned's David Vanian

November 10, 2016

What did you think to the Guns N' Roses cover of New Rose?  

David Vanian: It's not really my cup of tea because they knocked all of the life out of it by making it sound as though it has been played to a click track (laughter). I think that all of the spontaneity had gone out of it, but they obviously loved the song and that's great. They are a good band with a great guitarist, so what can you say? If they had taken the song and completely redone it in a totally different way then perhaps that would have been more interesting.   

http://www.nottinghampost.com/the-damned-s-david-vanian-interview-ahead-of-the-bands-40th-anniversary-tour-of-the-uk/story-29884497-detail/story.html

Edited by Funky.Monkey

He's right. The only why to do a good cover of a punk song (at least for a band that hasn't been part of the scene) is to try a different approach of it. Covers which have tried to stay faithful to the original sound lifeless compared to it. I think that the GnR version of New Rose is decent and respectful, but, like most of the other punk covers on TSI, lacks the soul of the original. Human Being (mainly due to the vocals), Ain't It Fun and Black Leather are very good covers though (imo of course).

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

TSI is one of the worst compact discs I have in my collection. I only hold onto it because I bought it the day of release and because I'm stupid. It is truly unlistenable.

It doesn't have non of the vibe the originals did. All the magic was lost. It was really misguided musically. But maybe that's what you get when a band like Guns takes on this kind of material: it sounds like Guns in all the wrong areas and calculated and just didn't add anything if you like the originals.

Having said that, I do like it even though it sucks. Ain't it Fun, Black Leather, Look At Your Game Girl and more. I can listen to it when I'm in the mood for some fake punk with Axl, Slash, and Duff. I think I just like to listen to 'em do their thing.

Technically though? a horrid release. Guns are better at doing Guns than other bands. Especially punk bands.

16 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I saw The Damned last Sunday night at Nottingham Rock City, it was a right night out :D 

I was also there - great show! Managed to get the VIP package to watch the soundcheck beforehand too :D

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, seely said:

I was also there - great show! Managed to get the VIP package to watch the soundcheck beforehand too :D

I didn't get a ticket until about a week before, glad I did. They played for a lot longer than I thought they would and yes it was a really great show. I love that venue too :) 

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

TSI is one of the worst compact discs I have in my collection. I only hold onto it because I bought it the day of release and because I'm stupid. It is truly unlistenable.

Such a fanboy. I agree, everything about that album is awful, especially the cover. 

I've got tickets to see the Damned in Toronto next April and I am majorly stoked!

40th Anniversary tour and they ARE playing all of the first album!

As for Guns' version of New Rose I think they put their own spin on it and I like it.

What I love about TSI is, a major rock band on top of the fucking world just took a breather and had some fun recording tracks from artists who had a major influence on them.

It wasn't supposed to be done, it went against the rules-for-rock stars handbook and I god bless 'em for it...I play TSI a lot!

• Like 3