The Damned's David Vanian Says GN'R 'Knocked All The Life Out Of' New Rose Cover

Damn, that's a shame, Duff will be gutted to read that..

If not TSI I don't think I'd even be a Damned fan today so maybe Vanian should consider that at the least with the interest GN'R's covers brought to some of these somewhat obscure bands and tracks. 

On that note TSI > CD imho 

On 11/15/2016 at 2:49 PM, BorderlineCrazy said:

At least he said Slash is great :D

Can't wait for the all the "The Damned are a nostalgia band" comments to begin. How many pages is it gonna be? :lol:

I don't even know who the damned are and don't care. They're probably awful :lol:

• Like 1

On 11/15/2016 at 9:08 PM, DieselDaisy said:

He'd be correct. Spaghetti Incident is an appalling album - really bad album to end your (old band) innings on also.

Just don't agree with this. Some great covers, it was just a fun punk cover album, people read too much into it. Why is it so bad? Never understood this!

On November 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM, tremolo said:

NEW ROSE is an incredible song with a great punk edge.

in the Guns' version it was turned into a plain standard rock & roll tune.

Yeah but it's so much more powerful imo. The original is the original and you can't take anything away from it in that regard but the sound and production is awful and weak. 

Edited by Nintari

21 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Your statement would be correct if I said the damned were good or relevant. Can't name 5 songs. As far as I'm concerned they don't mean jack 

Nope. You said "they are probably awful" while posting that you don't know them. That's a stupid statement. Simple as that.

• Like 1

Just now, tremolo said:

New Rose was originally recorded and released in 76.
The GNR cover was released in 1993.

Of course the GNR version is more polished and produced. But FUCK all the production values and perfect synchronicity, it is a PUNK song and it doesn't need all that bullshit in it to be great. The power comes from the performance, not from countless overdubs, mic placement techniques, mixing shenanigans, mastering tricks, or any other studio bs. 2 takes to tape and that's it.

We are just going to have to disagree. I get what you're saying but for me, GNR's version is just so much more aggressive and punchy. 

I like TSI.

I agree it lacks the passion and the rawness of the originals, but GNR didn't cover them as punk songs but as hard rock songs. As r'n'r songs. 

I love Iggy's Raw Power, it's exactly what Punk should sound like... dirty and raw

Guns' version is precisely to the point.

Matt's drumming and Slash's guitar in the second half of the song, even Dizzy's piano fits their version perfectly and they turned it into a hard rock number!

Down On The Farm,

Raw Power

Ain't It Fun 

These are all songs that I really enjoy the way Guns played them. evehhhj

I thought it was really fun to hear The Damned play New Rose in a small tent at Coachella and then a few hours later hear GN'R play it on the main stage :headbang:. But I don't think I could tell which of those two live versions I preferred. I love The Damned and their version and I love GN'R and how they do the song live nowadays (but the TSI version is way to stiff, mostly because of the drums).

I like TSI, but of course it would be better with Steven. This is the reason why Steven is the best drummer Guns hs ever had and why Chinese never worked very well for most of the guns fans. It has too little life. And that's what Steven brings. 

Another example is Sympathy for the devil, a great song with Rolling stones but horrible with Guns n roses because it has no life and with Stones it's full of life. But TSI is great and has another kind of greatness in it than Sympathy. 

Recent RS article:

Inside Guns N' Roses' Scrappy Covers Album 'The Spaghetti Incident?'

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/inside-guns-n-roses-swan-song-the-spaghetti-incident-w452192

"At that point, the Dead Boys were kind of becoming a footnote," founding member Cheetah Chrome tells Rolling Stone with a laugh. "At the time, it was kind of nice that somebody actually remembered us."

Having one of the biggest rock bands in the world cover your song was actually more than just nice. "Having your song on a Guns N' Roses album is a considerable chunk of change," says Chrome. "I moved down to Nashville, got resettled down there and was able to live and not work for a while. Definitely turned my life around a little bit. It got me through a rough time."

"We wanted to call the record Pension Fund," Rose joked in 1994. "'Cause we're kind of ... helping these guys pay some rent. ... Some of those songs I liked, I got ridiculed and criticized for at the time those songs were out. So, it was kinda like, well, now maybe some of those people will listen to it."

"It's the energy and the defiance that punk rock had and that it didn't really hit the mainstream all that much," Rose said. "And we are, whether we like it or not, in some ways in the mainstream, so we've got to bring certain songs to people's attention."

• Like 1

I actually like listening to the Spaghetti Incident these days. It's not half as bad as people make it out to be....BUT I don't think it was the right idea to release it when they did. I mean..who besides the most hardcore fans of GNR would even be interested in hearing GNR cover punk tunes...it seems like a very selfish, over the top release from them....Perhaps they could have found a smarter way to make their dream come true of covering punk covers than to release a whole album. They could have done singles perhaps with some punk covers and some live versions of classic Guns tracks recorded from the UYI tour....It would have pleased a larger crowd I think and done more to keep up the momentum after the tours were done...

Edited by Nostalgia^
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2016 at 5:32 PM, J Dog said:

I like TSI more than a lot here. But honestly, they did suck the life out of quite a few of the covers. Raw Power and Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory for example.

I absolutely adore TSI and have since the moment I first heard it. I really dig pretty much all of the covers on it but I think I have to agree with you about Raw Power. The outro of the original has this sweet assed swing to it that GN'R couldn't capture. Otherwise, I think the majority of the song, of GN'R's version is alright. 

Edited by Tiffani
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Nostalgia^ said:

I actually like listening to the Spaghetti Incident these days. It's not half as bad as people make it out to be....BUT I don't think it was the right idea to release it when they did.

I personally feel the timing was right considering that what was left of the original band imploded not too long thereafter. If they hadn't released it then, then when? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tiffani said:

I absolutely adore TSI and have since the moment I first heard it. I really dig pretty much all of the covers on it but I think I have to agree with you about Raw Power. The outro of the original has this sweet assed swing to it that GN'R couldn't capture. Otherwise, I think the majority of the song, of GN'R's version is alright. 

In their defense, nobody can truly pull off the Stooges. That's a very unique sound they had. But then stuff like Since I Don't Have You, Aint it Fun, Black Leather, they really nail those.

• Like 1