[Troubadour Live] Sweet Child O' Mine

59 minutes ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

This is the awful clean voice?

Or this?

Or this?

Or did you hear any mickey voice back then?

what the fuck are you talking about? those are all great powerful performances. great use of his trademark raspy voice. try again.

I don't like the way Axl has been singing SCOM since Rio '11, but for a clean voice performance it's one of his better ones compared to 11-14. Slight rasp on some parts.

But as I've stated before in multiple threads, Axl should use his deep voice which he uses on Nightrain and the end of Patience to sing this and YCBM. It's much more pleasing to listen to and shows Axl still has it.

The "where do we go" segment is quite decent, he is pushing for the rasp.

It's way past time to adjust expectations when it comes to Axl's voice. His signature voice is gone for good, he lost the ability to transition easily from rasp to clean, and he changed the tone and range he sings in. Something serious has happened to his voice post 2010 and at this point is quite clear it is not reversible.

I really, really wish we could say 2016 Axl is anywhere close to 2006 or 2010, but he is not. I would even consider that the state of his voice after 2011 is related to the lack of new releases. Axl sings in falsetto now, and not a single song sounds better than it did in those previous years - you can count in one hand those that sound almost as good as they used to. It is what it is.

He is putting so much into his 2016 performances. If the voice was a matter of effort, I'm sure he would be sounding like 93 right now, he is not. Thankfully, a very diminished Axl still puts one hell of a show, right up there with the best remaining rock bands out there.This is what we have, and at 54 years old, things are more likely to slowly go down than up.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, maynard said:

what the fuck are you talking about? those are all great powerful performances. great use of his trademark raspy voice. try again.

They are great powerful performances and he doesn't use his trademark raspy voice through the whole songs. He uses his clean voice a lot.

That's what I'm saying, his clean voice was far from awful, it was great.

The falsetto he uses now may sometimes be awful, but he never used this technique back then.

On 11/16/2016 at 1:02 AM, dgnr said:

I don't even care how Axl sounds or how Fortus' spins annoy me or what the hell is Frank doing with the drums here...  Watched the all video grinning :wub: Fuckin magical night!! Just like that all day with the periscopes of people in the Tower Records line, then the Troubadour announcement, the 'museum', the no phones allowed, the periscope outside the Troubadour just listening Axl raspy on Jungle and then it popped on Instagram the first pic of those two together after 23 years...Almost cryed like a baby :facepalm:

Magic, magic everywhere! Release this shit already and I'll gladly give you all the money you ask, I don't care!!

I agree!  This is what started it all don't care at this point how they sounded just glad they are up there and TOGETHER :heart:

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

He does. Just not with Guns. He has even surpassed 2010 levels for me in certain performances. None of them were with Guns.

Those are different, man. The AC/DC voice is higher pitched than his old trademark one, it's also more screamy. At any rate, it doesn't look at all like he can use that voice through more melodic songs/segments. He uses it a bit with GNR, but only on select parts.

Don't get me wrong, it is an awesome voice, but it's not Axl's old signature voice. That one died in 2010. Damage, surgery, whatever the reason (we might never know), he obliterated that voice. His ways are firmly set on falsetto after more than 5 years of it. It's possible he could use less falsetto and a bit more rasp, but the 90's, 2006, 2010 voice is gone forever.

The AC/DC voice is a fantastic base for his career going forward. If Axl was to release new music, he should compose them based on a mix of his natural deep voice + AC/DC powerful high pitched rasp - that can be a path to a late career new prime. That would also ensure commanding performances and would go a long way making the new material staples on a setlist. There is no point in releasing material he can't perform as he should anymore (maybe he is aware of that, and this is somehow related to him holding on to material).

On a sidenote, his falsetto/clean voice has improved a lot in 2016. Every casual that hears him thinks he sounds great - my friends were blown away. I never believed it, but it also sounds awesome live - my friends who are not hardcores were blown away by Axl last friday. He is a good singer still, the problem is the massive standards he created for himself, his voice was probably the most powerful I've ever seen.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Axl's voice is what's annoying.

People who keep denying Axl's voice is annoying are annoying.

The fact that you find me annoying says everything.

So you're saying that he doesn't sound good on AC/DC material? Sounds like you're the one in denial.

5 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

He is putting so much into his 2016 performances. If the voice was a matter of effort, I'm sure he would be sounding like 93 right now, he is not. Thankfully, a very diminished Axl still puts one hell of a show, right up there with the best remaining rock bands out there.This is what we have, and at 54 years old, things are more likely to slowly go down than up.

I would argue that the ACDC shows and NA leg of the Guns tour was a strong period for Axl, not 2010 level but definitely above '11-14. It's only the April shows and the current SA shows (especially the SA shows) where he's sounded weak this year. I was hoping he was just sick to start but his voice has sounded strained the whole SA leg, wonder if he ditched his voice coach or fucked up his voice after the ACDC shows...

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I would argue that the ACDC shows and NA leg of the Guns tour was a strong period for Axl, not 2010 level but definitely above '11-14. It's only the April shows and the current SA shows (especially the SA shows) where he's sounded weak this year. I was hoping he was just sick to start but his voice has sounded strained the whole SA leg, wonder if he ditched his voice coach or fucked up his voice after the ACDC shows...

To me it seems like he just genuinely believes that voice is good. He doesnt realize he sounds weak, and no one tells him, because he would have stopped using it by now. But everyone who is used to the guns records or even most of their live videos/bootlegs from the glory days (which is almost everyone) will immediately start to think "man what is that?" SCOM and NR and YCBM are the 3 songs I think suffer the most from it. YCBM sounds powerless even though the band is totally killer instrumentally..it could be so much more if Axl started using the secret weapon ACDC rasp on that song. Highlight of the show for sure.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

9 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

To me it seems like he just genuinely believes that voice is good. He doesnt realize he sounds weak, and no one tells him, because he would have stopped using it by now. But everyone who is used to the guns records or even most of their live videos/bootlegs from the glory days (which is almost everyone) will immediately start to think "man what is that?" SCOM and NR and YCBM are the 3 songs I think suffer the most from it. YCBM sounds powerless even though the band is totally killer instrumentally..it could be so much more if Axl started using the secret weapon ACDC rasp on that song. Highlight of the show for sure.

Fernando has said that Axl knows he sings like mickey

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Maybe he saw it as a challenge..or hes making a statement. I have no idea, but all I know is that voice is much worse than literally any other one he could use instead. When youre there in concert it's not that bad because of the whole euphoria of being there, but when you rewatch or watch a recording/video of it, it becomes very noticeable, like on this pro shot.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

7 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

The "where do we go" segment is quite decent, he is pushing for the rasp.

It's way past time to adjust expectations when it comes to Axl's voice. His signature voice is gone for good, he lost the ability to transition easily from rasp to clean, and he changed the tone and range he sings in. Something serious has happened to his voice post 2010 and at this point is quite clear it is not reversible.

I really, really wish we could say 2016 Axl is anywhere close to 2006 or 2010, but he is not. I would even consider that the state of his voice after 2011 is related to the lack of new releases. Axl sings in falsetto now, and not a single song sounds better than it did in those previous years - you can count in one hand those that sound almost as good as they used to. It is what it is.

But... AC/DC though.

30 minutes ago, Mendez said:

When?

4 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

Those are different, man. The AC/DC voice is higher pitched than his old trademark one, it's also more screamy. At any rate, it doesn't look at all like he can use that voice through more melodic songs/segments. He uses it a bit with GNR, but only on select parts.

Don't get me wrong, it is an awesome voice, but it's not Axl's old signature voice. That one died in 2010. Damage, surgery, whatever the reason (we might never know), he obliterated that voice. His ways are firmly set on falsetto after more than 5 years of it. It's possible he could use less falsetto and a bit more rasp, but the 90's, 2006, 2010 voice is gone forever.

The AC/DC voice is a fantastic base for his career going forward. If Axl was to release new music, he should compose them based on a mix of his natural deep voice + AC/DC powerful high pitched rasp - that can be a path to a late career new prime. That would also ensure commanding performances and would go a long way making the new material staples on a setlist. There is no point in releasing material he can't perform as he should anymore (maybe he is aware of that, and this is somehow related to him holding on to material).

On a sidenote, his falsetto/clean voice has improved a lot in 2016. Every casual that hears him thinks he sounds great - my friends were blown away. I never believed it, but it also sounds awesome live - my friends who are not hardcores were blown away by Axl last friday. He is a good singer still, the problem is the massive standards he created for himself, his voice was probably the most powerful I've ever seen.

Not true. He uses major rasp in his upper chest register during the entirety of Got Some Rock and Roll Thunder when he's with AC/DC. Plus the verses of Shoot to Thrill are all upper chest register with insane '90s level rasp. Even if I'm mistaken on that and it is in fact some heavily distorted falsetto technique, he's able to get so low in his head voice that he should be commended for it because it's fucking super-human if that's the case. Which I don't think it is, I'm pretty certain it's upper chest voice.