[Troubadour Live] Sweet Child O' Mine

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

To me it seems like he just genuinely believes that voice is good. But everyone who is used to the guns records or even most of their live videos/bootlegs from the glory days (which is almost everyone) will immediately start to think "man what is that?" SCOM and NR and YCBM are the 3 songs I think suffer the most from it. YCBM sounds powerless even though the band is totally killer instrumentally..it could be so much more if Axl started using the secret weapon ACDC rasp on that song. Highlight of the show for sure.

Fair enough, I tend to think he believes that voice is "acceptable" and kind of counts on it being low in the mix rather than it being a good one; it's just one he can get away with. I say that because in various spots over the years he's swapped it out for the classic raspy voice only to go back to clean in the next show. Some examples off the top of my head of what I mean:

(raspy first verse)

(raspy ending, at about 8:10)

Axl talked about choosing to sing cleaner in the 2000's and that's fine, but to me there's a big difference between the clean voice of '02-'06 and the weak head voice he's been using since 2011. SCOM, PC, Nov Rain all suffer from the weak head voice the most but it effects everything he uses it on, YCBM, RQ, Estranged, everything. If he can't project the clean voice properly it's time to go classic rasp even if it means shorter shows, or it's time to reinvent his voice again. But the 'head voice' is the reason Slash is carrying the shows now.

IMO this is what a standard performance of SCOM should sound like - it's clean, but there's power and it doesn't sound like he loathes every second of it.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mendez said:

lol that topic was easily the best topic in 2015. 

It's funny that this Fernando topic came into the conversation, I was only reading the 2008 one yesterday, the one were Axl turns up and starts calling people cunts and stuff. It was amusing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Fair enough, I tend to think he believes that voice is "acceptable" and kind of counts on it being low in the mix rather than it being a good one; it's just one he can get away with. I say that because in various spots over the years he's swapped it out for the classic raspy voice only to go back to clean in the next show. Some examples off the top of my head of what I mean:

(raspy first verse)

Axl talked about choosing to sing cleaner in the 2000's and that's fine, but to me there's a big difference between the clean voice of '02-'06 and the weak head voice he's been using since 2011. SCOM, PC, Nov Rain all suffer from the weak head voice the most but it effects everything he uses it on, YCBM, RQ, Estranged, everything. If he can't project the clean voice properly it's time to go classic rasp even if it means shorter shows, or it's time to reinvent his voice again. But the 'head voice' is the reason Slash is carrying the shows now.

IMO this is what a standard performance of SCOM should sound like - it's clean, but there's power and it doesn't sound like he loathes every second of it.

That's exactly how it sounds on the current tour. This troubadour one was just a tad weaker for some reason (broken foot, first show in 2 years, nerves due to reunion etc. who knows?) The falsetto he used for the Vegas shows a week later sounded identical to this.

2 minutes ago, AlexC said:

That's exactly how it sounds on the current tour. This troubadour one was just a tad weaker for some reason (broken foot, first show in 2 years, nerves due to reunion etc. who knows?) The falsetto he used for the Vegas shows a week later sounded identical to this.

I disagree, but OK.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

(raspy first verse)

I'd forgotten how douchey Ashba is. I do not miss that era haha.

• Like 3

I've seen guns twice on their reunion tour. One in Vegas and one in Philly. Axl sounds phenomenal. Even when he uses his clean voice, his notes are full and sustained when you compare it to the early 00s. He does sound pretty bad in the video in this thread but overall id give him much more credit than flack. That's not even mentioning his unreal AC/DC voice

10 hours ago, AlexC said:

So you're saying that he doesn't sound good on AC/DC material? Sounds like you're the one in denial.

I haven't said anything about Axl/Dc in this thread.  I saw Axl/Dc in May.  I know how he sounded there.  In fact I've been complaining about the difference in his performance ever since.

the original SCOM video from theTroubadour... Is Axl  chewing a gum at aprox 01:13? :D

About Axl's voice... I think it has changed over the years. But more then that, I think he doesn't enjoy singing certain songs anymore, so he doesn't even try enough. He sounds better with AC/DC, he obviously enjoys doing their stuff.

Edited by MisterNo

On 16.11.2016 at 10:31 AM, F*ck Fear said:

That performance was hard to listen to.

I hope this never sees an official release because it sounds better on the Vegas 2012 dvd.

Even Slash sounded terrible.

A release from the stadium tour would be WAY better.

No, Slash sounded good. But not as dynamic as in the golden era. They simply got old. But Axl was the weakest part of this performance. That outfit was as horrible as the April O' Neill banana rainrobe thing....

It could have been magic with Steven /Matt/Gilby/Izzy. But this semi reunion here is forgetable....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...