Anyone know when the Chinese Democracy songs released were actually recorded?

Apologies if this has already been asked. But we often talk about Chinese Democracy as being a 2008 album. But do we know when the vocals were actually done? When Better was recorded? Yes, some songs date from 1999, but were these the ones actually used? Who did what and when? Sorry to bombard you with a series of questions. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

CD was played in 2001, and Josh Freese wrote the main riff so it must have been recorded by 1999.

Shackler's Revenge was written by Buckethead, so I'm guessing it was recorded in 2002-2004

Better wasn't played until 2006, same year it leaked (or was it before?).... so it was probably recorded after 2002...

SOD was played in 2001 and there's some snippets of the studio version on some TV ads for the 2002 tour, so it also must have been recorded in 1999 .

No idea about If the World, I don't even think people knew about it's existance until it leaked

Twat, Catcher and IRS were already recorded in 1999 (we've all heard the 1999 studio versions)

Scraped and Sorry were also written by Buckethead, but they were never played live until 2009, and they didn't leak until 2008, so they even may have been finished in 2007 (who knows)

Madagascar was played in 2001, but the vocals do sound a lot like 2006 Axl

Prostitute leaked with the Antiquiet leaks, and Axl played some parts on his piano solo during the 2006 shows.... but given it was written with Tobias, it may have been ready by 1999 too.

About This I Love, there's no way to know, even though everybody always knew it existed, it only leaked a few months before CD was released....  but it does sound like 1999 Axl imo

Now, the final versions as they are on CD, with Bumblefoot playing power chords all over the mix were probably ready in 2008...

The thing is, the different vocals and parts were recorded in different moments (take as an example the vocals on the title track)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

CD was played in 2001, and Josh Freese wrote the main riff so it must have been recorded by 1999.

Shackler's Revenge was written by Buckethead, so I'm guessing it was recorded in 2002-2004

Better wasn't played until 2006, same year it leaked (or was it before?).... so it was probably recorded after 2002...

SOD was played in 2001 and there's some snippets of the studio version on some TV ads for the 2002 tour, so it also must have been recorded in 1999 .

No idea about If the World, I don't even think people knew about it's existance until it leaked

Twat, Catcher and IRS were already recorded in 1999 (we've all heard the 1999 studio versions)

Scraped and Sorry were also written by Buckethead, but they were never played live until 2009, and they didn't leak until 2008, so they even may have been finished in 2007 (who knows)

Prostitute leaked with the Antiquiet leaks, and Axl played some parts on his piano solo during the 2006 shows.... but given it was written with Tobias, it may have been ready by 1999 too.

About This I Love, there's no way to know, even though everybody always knew it existed, it only leaked a few months before CD was released....  but it does sound like 1999 Axl imo

Now, the final versions as they are on CD, with Bumblefoot playing power chords all over the mix were probably ready in 2008...

The thing is, the different vocals and parts were recorded in different moments (take as an example the vocals on the title track)

I'm almost sure the name "Prostitute" was floating around in 1999. 

I don't think Scraped and Sorry leaked until days before the release, when copies of the album were starting to get out there. I don't remember hearing those song titles over the years either.

We came to know about Sorry thanks to Sebastian Bach, but it never got leaked. 

Axl did re recorded all his vocals in 2006, I did read it over here somewhere, Axl was giving everyone a hard time and how he sung every song line to line or word to word also. 

1 minute ago, Slash787 said:

Axl did re recorded all his vocals in 2006, I did read it over here somewhere, Axl was giving everyone a hard time and how he sung every song line to line or word to word also. 

Pretty sure he didn't re record all his vocals.

4 minutes ago, EvH said:

Pretty sure he didn't re record all his vocals.

There was an interview or something with one of the engineers and it was mentioned there. But he did go to the studio in 2006 to record vocals on many tracks, even the tracks which were already recorded in the late 90's or early 2000's 

13 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

There was an interview or something with one of the engineers and it was mentioned there. But he did go to the studio in 2006 to record vocals on many tracks, even the tracks which were already recorded in the late 90's or early 2000's 

Oh I absolutely agree that he recorded additional vocals, but there are definitely loads of 1999-ish vocals on the final album.

47 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

If The World was on setlists in 2006 so it pre-dates that tour, at least.

I always assumed Sorry was (at least musically) from '99 based on a quote from Brain about re-recording '7 minute songs with drum solos at the end'.

Prostitute was one of the first songs people heard about in '99.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BreakDown2014 said:

Dont forget that Buckethead joined in 2000, so his stuff could have been (at least intrumentally) recorded in 2000/2001 when only the band would go into the studio.

Also, Pitman said that Axl wrote the horn riff for Maddy up at Axls house, and that they recorded it pretty quick (meaning, also vocals), so that could have been any where from 97-2002. His voice is alot like Live Era, so maybe in 1999 he recorded it. And snippets of Maddy, CD, and SOD were used in 2002 as promo for the shows, so it was likely already done by then. Also side note, when you listen to the multitrack the first verse of Maddy's vocals sound unprofessionally recorded (a bunch of background noise bleed that had to be filtered out as best as the engineers could), so this also goes with the fact that they could have at least recorded the first verse at Axls house.

Alot of the vocals could have been done before 2006, because it seems like alot of people forget that Axl was very capable of singing in the studio. I mean you have a vocal performance from the title track, which is Axl belting his ass off, and then you have SOD which is the cleanest vocals ever after the intro. Then you have Madagascar which is just Axl's rasp at 100% for everything except the 2nd chorus. And snippets of them were all used in 2002 for radio promos. Better has very similar belting vocals to CD's chorus and Madagascar that could have easily been done pre 2002.

Edited by Mendez

Chinese Democracy, Street of Dreams, Madagascar, Riad - Had to have been pre-2001

Catcher in the Rye/TWAT, IRS - 2000 Intentions, so also pre 2001. 1999

This I Love - written in 1993, recorded probably through the 90's

Scraped, Better, Shacklers Revenge - I'd argue 2001-2004. Sounds completely new to give another polished Rocker on CD

Prostitute - 2001-2002. Vocals sound reminisent of that time.

My theory is this.

Seeing as the 99 stuff was re-recorded it's just about all 2000 into 2001 recording wise. 

Shackler's, If the World, Scraped, Sorry were finished in 2004 with Constanzo. If the World/Sorry seem to have been around a while. There was re-recording with Costanzo so maybe they got some. 

It's Shackler's and Scraped that may have been new Bucket songs he laid down in 2004 with Costanzo. Sorry sounds re-recorded with Bucket. If the World got a Bucket solo. 

Better is probably from 2000-2001 recording but was finished by 2004. Fortus worked on it. 

Beavan said most of the vocals were recorded with him in 99. I wonder if Shackler's, Scraped, If the World, Sorry had vocals from Constanzo era?

Oh ok Wags has the intel. Where did that come from? 

The Soul Monster/ Leave Me Alone/Prostitute mystery continues. 

Edited by wasted
Atlas Monster

7 hours ago, Slash787 said:

The leaked version of Riad has the same vocal track as the album version except for one line. If you heard the leak it really stands out as a cut/paste job. 

12 hours ago, Modano09 said:

I'm almost sure the name "Prostitute" was floating around in 1999. 

I don't think Scraped and Sorry leaked until days before the release, when copies of the album were starting to get out there. I don't remember hearing those song titles over the years either.

There was that post on a site, maybe this one, with the lyrics to Sorry.

Can't remember what year, 2006?

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

There was that post on a site, maybe this one, with the lyrics to Sorry.

Can't remember what year, 2006?

On January 13, 2007 a poster named "Demolition" posted the following on htgth:

To all the haters : I'm sorry for you not sorry for me. You don't know who you can trust now or who to believe.
Remember these words when the album comes out.
I'm out of here

Who knows, it is a bizarro album - thou I like it ALOT - there a ton of layers too many and it is just too produced. Everything is recorded multiple times, like Freese had ton a ton of drums, Brain said that Axl wanted him to do them all again, play them exactly the same but with his feel. He had to get all those songs sheeted and then he recorded them one by one. 

Then Frank redid something and Bumble and so on and so on.

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It sounds like a mess. The making of was a dog's dinner and the result was a bowl of pedigree chum.

The result was tunes Guns can play alongside the old tunes and it adds something. Better, SOD, Chinese, Catcher, There Was A Time, and more.

Van Halen lll it sure as fuck wasn't. Axl is highly creative. Chinese proved that when his heart is into it, he can still deliver a product no one else in the world can. Or is crazy enough to actually pursue to the finish line.

I don't have other albums like Chinese to listen to. Other music I can find multiple bands or at least albums that are not just close, they basically provide the same vibe.

Chinese is different. It has Guns elements but is unique in how it combines Guns with other shit I really like. This is why another album of that kind of music is of very high value to me which is unfortunate given the kind of special ginger we're dealing with here.

Edited by Rovim