Would Guns N' Roses sound better if they were drinking, smoking and taking other drugs?

14 hours ago, EvanG said:

Axl has stated before that he never allowed himself to having an addiction. He simply doesn't allow it. Of course that's easier said than done, but it worked for him... when it comes down to alcohol and drug abuse, he has been the wisest of the bunch. He can still do something simple now as having a few beers without it being a problem. The other ones can't even do that anymore. Although there are junkies who manage to find the discipline of moderation even after a very bad addiction. John Frusciante, who was a terrible junkie in the mid 90s, managed to get away from the heroin but as far as I know of he still drinks and maybe smokes pot, but in a normal way. I guess the GnR guys are all or nothing kind of people.

I read that, too. But I think this is one of the silliest statements I've ever read.

To Axl's excuse, he was very young when he did this comment and I don't believe he would say something like this again.

Because if you do drugs or been drinking heavily booze you have no control about addiction, even if you think so.

And looking in Axl's face I think he drinks alot, or at least he did.

Edited by Free Bird

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I read that, too. But I think this is one of the silliest statements I've ever read.

To Axl's excuse, he was very young when he did this comment and I don't believe he would say something like this again.

Because if you do drugs or been drinking heavily booze you have no control about addiction, even if you think so.

I don't believe he was that young when he said that, I thought it was after (original) GnR ended, but I could be wrong. But having this attitude worked for him, though, and I think that's what he meant. At least he was smart enough to see what was going on around him and realize that he should stay off certain substance abuse.

On November 19, 2016 at 3:51 PM, Nikki_Sixx said:

If they start SOUNDING like Guns N' Roses again, and if they start LOOKING like a rock n' roll band again, then they can do all the drugs they want!

I thought you were agains't drugs?

I haven't read your book, but wasn't it about you nearly dying cause of drugs? 

You can't quit until you try
You can't live until you die
You can't learn to tell the truth
Until you learn to lie

You can't breathe until you choke
You gotta laugh when you're the joke
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Just open your eyes
Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful.

5 hours ago, EvanG said:

I don't believe he was that young when he said that, I thought it was after (original) GnR ended, but I could be wrong. But having this attitude worked for him, though, and I think that's what he meant. At least he was smart enough to see what was going on around him and realize that he should stay off certain substance abuse.

I think I read it in Mick Wall's Most Dangerous Band In The World. Axl said this to Mick when he got interviewed by him in 1990 I believe. So he may not been to young, but still young enough to be naive to believe that.

Well, it's a fact it worked somehow. He made his experiences with hard drugs and stopped using them and he was never a junkie on the same level as Izzy, Steven or Slash.

But my opinion remains the same... you can't say you'll never be an addict because that's something that is hard to control especially when you're open for drugs, when you are a night owl and you like to party

Edited by Free Bird

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

But my opinion remains the same... you can't say you'll never be an addict because that's something that is hard to control especially when you're open for drugs, when you are a night owl and you like to party

I agree, addiction can crawl under your skin without even realizing it and then there is a genetic issue part of it. But what he said worked for him... he wasn't necessarily talking about other people. Everyone deals with it differently.

42 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

They sure as hell would be writing better songs. And that goes for all of them (I mean.. the ones who write songs).

I call bullshit on this. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Yes because that worked out for Scott Weiland...

First rule is: don't be in a downward spiral of depression, anxiety and selfdestruction before you engage in any kind of impulsional habit. How about that? There's a huge difference between taking drugs for recreational purposes and taking drugs so you don't slit your wrists or hang yourself In a hotel room. Ask any seventies band! :D

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:17 PM, Slash787 said:

I thought you were agains't drugs?

I haven't read your book, but wasn't it about you nearly dying cause of drugs? 

You can't quit until you try
You can't live until you die
You can't learn to tell the truth
Until you learn to lie

You can't breathe until you choke
You gotta laugh when you're the joke
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Just open your eyes
Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful.

If it brings back the real GNR, I'm open for anything !

On 11/20/2016 at 4:08 AM, Free Bird said:

His own band mates even after the break up said Axl didn't have drug issues and wasn't a junkie.

You can find it in all their books. He was the only band member sitting by their hospital beds when they overdosed.

Axl never denied he did drugs but according to him and everyone else he didn't form that habit.

Didn't he quit smoking years ago? Or did he start smoking again?

As far as drinking goes idk

Edited by BOSSY78
Add

1 hour ago, BOSSY78 said:

His own band mates even after the break up said Axl didn't have drug issues and wasn't a junkie.

You can find it in all their books. He was the only band member sitting by their hospital beds when they overdosed.

Axl never denied he did drugs but according to him and everyone else he didn't form that habit.

Didn't he quit smoking years ago? Or did he start smoking again?

As far as drinking goes idk

Just to quote myself:

On ‎20‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 8:24 PM, Free Bird said:

Well, it's a fact it worked somehow. He made his experiences with hard drugs and stopped using them and he was never a junkie on the same level as Izzy, Steven or Slash.

But my opinion remains the same... you can't say you'll never be an addict because that's something that is hard to control especially when you're open for drugs, when you are a night owl and you like to Party

4 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Just to quote myself:

I tried to correct the quoting once I read that it wouldn't do it properly in edits.

What I said which seems to not have posted with my quote was your absolutely right there. Many addicts think they won't become one or they have it under control.

Sorry that didn't quote both your statements

Edited by BOSSY78
Added
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2016 at 4:04 AM, Route66 said:

Clearly not a serious question if you had heard them live at certain shows in the late 80's - 90's. GNR are burning it up right now. Enjoy it. Might not last long.

I heard them live in their heyday. This is clearly not their heyday, but I'm enjoying it. 

• Like 1