COMA song question

Hi. So Coma is definitely one of the best songs GNR ever did. However I have a question regarding the lyrics...

Suspended deep in a sea of black

I got the light at the end

I got the bones on the mast

Well, I've gone Sailing, I've gone sailing...

I've always wondered what does the "I got the bones on the mast" lyrics mean?

Also when they played it in Vegas on that first night it was incredible...the opening bass then the lighting over Axl, and him sitting in that chair with the glasses on and that menacing stare...and he says "Hey you caught me in a Coma" gave me chills. It was like "holy shit they are really trying this" 

but my favorite current version is of course Houston...that ending is just great, him casually taking off his glasses at 9:04 while singing that novel is the coolest thing ever

My favorite part is the "I never really wanted to live" in that low voice...just bc it adds to the emotion of the song when he disappears and returns in the last few minutes for that incredible ending...it's as Axl put it, just an uplifting ending to a depressingly beautiful song. 

Really glad it's part of the current set 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Also when they played it in Vegas on that first night it was incredible...the opening bass then the lighting over Axl, and him sitting in that chair with the glasses on and that menacing stare...and he says "Hey you caught me in a Coma" gave me chills. It was like "holy shit they are really trying this" 

but my favorite current version is of course Houston...that ending is just great, him casually taking off his glasses at 9:04 while singing that novel is the coolest thing ever

My favorite part is the "I never really wanted to live" in that low voice...just bc it adds to the emotion of the song when he disappears and returns in the last few minutes for that incredible ending...it's as Axl put it, just an uplifting ending to a depressingly beautiful song. 

Really glad it's part of the current set 

It's definitely the highlight of the show, for me. In Vegas, I was talking to the guy beside me before the show and said if they played Coma, it doesn't matter what else they play, they could literally come out, play Coma, walk off, and I'd still be happy. So when they actually started playing it we looked at each other, freaked out, high fived, and rocked out :lol: I know there's been better performances since then, but being there when they brought that song back was definitely one of, if not the best 'concert moment' I've ever experienced.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Yeah, it means he's sailing to death or somewhere unknown.

I love this song and I'm so glad I could hear it live two shows in a row.

I particularly remember screaming along with Axl the "In a world that's full of shit" line and it felt so good :lol:

Pretty sure I've fucked up my voice by the 'God damnit!' scream each time I've seen them play it :lol:

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's definitely the highlight of the show, for me. In Vegas, I was talking to the guy beside me before the show and said if they played Coma, it doesn't matter what else they play, they could literally come out, play Coma, walk off, and I'd still be happy. So when they actually started playing it we looked at each other, freaked out, high fived, and rocked out :lol: I know there's been better performances since then, but being there when they brought that song back was definitely one of, if not the best 'concert moment' I've ever experienced.

Wow, that sounds eerily familiar.  I want to say that person was me.  Small world!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Sounds like it could be the meaning since Axl was overdosing on heroin before he wrote Coma.

Or it could just sound cool as it does.

the interview he done years ago he claimed he grabbed  bottle of pills and thats how he overdosed, not with heroin

i wasnt there so i have know idea what realy happened lol