Zakk Wylde on uncle rose and slash

Apologies if repost

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-11-22/interview-zakk-wylde-on-slash-ozzy-axl-rose-and-eddie-van-halen

Slash

Slash is a sweetheart. But every time we hang out together we end up getting tanked to bejesus. I remember one time we were hanging at Wembley Arena – we were doing The Gibson Night Of 100 Guitars. We were sat up there at the bar and I go: “Man, this fuckin’ sucks,” because they’d just closed it. Fuckin’ Slash just reaches into his jacket pocket and whips out a bottle of Jack Daniel’s and says: “We still got booze, dude. Don’t worry about it.”

Who can drink more? I don’t think anyone wanted to challenge the two of us idiots – and Dimebag either. You put the three of us together and that was a holy trinity. And you gotta put Kerry King in for that contest too. Any night I’m not in the mood for drinking, I’ll just get Kerry to drink the motherfuckers under the table.

Axl Rose

What you see is what you get with Axl. The guy is a legend and a Black Label brother. He’s the shit. I played with Guns N’ Roses [in the mid-90s]. I was in Studio B and they were in Studio A. So I played Axl some of my shit, like 13 Years Of Grief. And he was like, “Zakk, what fuckin’ market are you trying to reach with that?” I told him, “I dunno, the fuckin’ farmer’s market?”

So we ended up hanging and jamming together – me, Axl, Slash, Duff [McKagan], Matt [Sorum] and Dizzy [Reed]. And I was like, “Axl, when are you gonna start singing on this shit, dude? Let’s quit fuckin’ around here!” And that’s when Black Label Society was born, because I had all these riffs lying around, and I thought, “Fuck it, I’ll do it myself.” But it’s not because Axl is hard to work for. It’s because he cares. He had so much passion. And I’d rather have that than a douchebag who doesn’t give a fuck.

What do I think of Chinese Democracy? The wife bought me a copy and it got smashed in my luggage, so I had to fuckin’ buy another one. No, Axl didn’t send me a copy. But he’s a beautiful guy.

• Like 1

I don't buy it. Axl doesn't care about his fans, he has no passion for them, as long as they're buying tickets that's enough. He released one single album in 25 years, and it doesn't even sound like the original stuff. Some people call it the largest and most expensive turd in music industry. He's an egomaniac, not passionate.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

His comment on CD says it all. He did not comment on the material, which means he thought it was a piece of shit. 

I remember Zakk commenting on how Axl was trying to follow the late 90's trend and how he admired Fred Durst and other douchebags of that era. Zakk pretty much let him have it, and told him (from what I best remember reading) "what the fuck? You are Axl fuckin Rose"  

Axl is always trying to target markets, which explains why his album was an all over the place pile of crap. He took so long that the trend kept changing on him. It is sad that he became somewhat of a follower of people who don't even have 5% of his talent.

He fell into the same trap Michael Jackson did. Aside from the crazy clothing -- these two were bogged down in chasing every trend and overproducing their albums in the name of perfection for years on end.

This relevant quote (paraphrasing here) from Slash always comes to mind when I think of Chinese Democracy. "We don't need to be like Pearl Jam. Let's just be Guns n' fuckin Roses!"

• 4 weeks later...

I was listening the Pride&Glory album the other day for the first time in years and couldnt help myself but think about these recent comments from Zakk on GNR and how great it would be if he had joined the band. 

Fuck! That is an amazing album, several songs on there could be huge hits if released under GNR brand. Zakk is great. 

59 minutes ago, default_ said:

I was listening the Pride&Glory album the other day for the first time in years and couldnt help myself but think about these recent comments from Zakk on GNR and how great it would be if he had joined the band. 

Fuck! That is an amazing album, several songs on there could be huge hits if released under GNR brand. Zakk is great. 

Those songs were written before Zakk ever got any call from GNR, the jam happened in 95 when P&G broke up already. You have to listen to BLS debut to hear songs Zakk jammed with GNR. Rose Petalled Garden was one of them IIRC.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Those songs were written before Zakk ever got any call from GNR, the jam happened in 95 when P&G broke up already. You have to listen to BLS debut to hear songs Zakk jammed with GNR. Rose Petalled Garden was one of them IIRC.

Yeah, I know. What I was saying is: Zakk was capable of doin' something similar yet updated on the GNR sound. It wouldnt be the same record he released with BLS, it would also feature Axl and Slash ideas after all. The mindset wouldnt be the same as BLS too so, I think it would be an amazing mix of P&G, Snakepit and whatever axl had at the time. Its exciting to imagine what could be from this trio.  

3 minutes ago, default_ said:

Yeah, I know. What I was saying is: Zakk was capable of doin' something similar yet updated on the GNR sound. It wouldnt be the same record he released with BLS, it would also feature Axl and Slash ideas after all. The mindset wouldnt be the same as BLS too so, I think it would be an amazing mix of P&G, Snakepit and whatever axl had at the time. Its exciting to imagine what could be from this trio.  

Zakk deliberately steered his music in the southern / countryrock direction with his band P&G though, he wouldn't have done that with Guns. What he had in mind for Guns was the real heavy shit that made Axl go "what market are you wanting to appeal with that"? or something like that. Would have ended up being a bit more bluesy and less hardcore BLS debut with This I Love and some Slash riffs. Sadly neither I nor anyone else will ever be able to hear what would have come of that, since Slash was it against it aswell. I just wanna hear the 95 jam tapes, that would be good enough.

2 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

I had a feeling for past 25 years everyone is competing in complimenting Axl, no matter what he says about them or other, cause they are afraid of him one way or another.

Why would  Zakk Wylde be afraid of Axl?

Why would anyone other than someone currently connected as an underling be afraid of him?

• Like 1