Fantastic Beasts, and Where to Find Them

Dan H.

Anyone seen the new Harry Potter film yet?

I was very disappointed, mostly because the film had a really solid story backbone, but failed to execute any of it properly. 

The movie didn't seem to have any idea where it was heading until the climax, when the movie tried to piece together each of the three main conflict elements (the witch hunters, the government, and Newts friends) but barely managed to stitch them together before dissolving into the obviousness of what this movie was: a two and a half hour set up for a future franchise.

I think if they had taken the time to more carefully craft some of the characters motivations,  and focused more heavily on the witch hunting family and the boy who eventually becomes the key plot element, it could have been a more solid movie.

Unless you're a huge Harry Potter fan, save your money and go see Arrival instead. Best film in theaters right now, maybe the best Sci Fi flick since Primer.

Hopefully the sequels are better. I thought it was a good movie, but not as good as the actual Harry Potter movies. 

I was wondering if Johnny Depp would be playing Grindelwald when I heard he'd be "playing Dumbledore's lover." The ending of the movie confirmed it. 

Wife got me all 8 films on a single blu ray back for 30 bucks. Had the week off from work so I watched them in 4 days. I got a new appreciation for these films and it got me interested in Fantastic Beasts. Though I am concerned with this Cursed Child play nonsense. The story should not be considered canon. I've read a bit and it is absolute shit. 

That said, my favorite films are either Order of the Phoenix or Half Blood Prince. Never understood the love for Prisoner of Azkaban. It is good but not that good.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Just now, Len Cnut said:

What, was 'get a life you sad cunt' too cryptic for ya? :lol:

I don't know, fuckin' maybe? :lol:

You saying it in the sense of "grow up and stop watching these movies" or "grow up and stop critiquing these movies" - because either way you're a cunt :lol:

In my defense, I think Dan cried about it a little more than it deserved. So direct your shitpost towards him :lol:

I actually hated this movie. I thought it was just garish, cynical, ugly. Even though I was never an enormous Potter fan, the best movies of that series had a sense of visual ingenuity and marvel that this movie just entirely lacked. It felt very much like a product, something churned out to piggyback on the success of another series. I just remember sitting there watching it and thinking the CGI was some of the worst and least creative I'd seen in years. I wouldn't say it was awful, but relative to the Potter series, it was pretty bad. 5/10 if I'm being generous.