Guns N' Roses: The Making of Chinese Democracy

On 11/25/2016 at 3:58 AM, Majestic Beast said:

Why there are no videos of CD making,what they want to hide from the fans anyway?

Even back in AFD & UYI no one brought a video camera in (except Shannon Hoon, Marc said he never considered it), apart from "Patience", and Robert John's documentary didn't have studio footage.  

Some bands don't want the worry of outside recording equipment esp. with a lot of money riding on it, but just about everybody sends files back and forth of what they're working on, and the studio's just a place to go polish it up. What you can do with a couple of laptops is amazing, and that's why so many studios have gone away, but there will be a few that never go away and find ways to generate revenue. 

In the case of ChiDem - not just videos, there's almost no photos from the sessions. It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but everything GNR used to promote ChiDem was from the stage. It's possible something exists but TB, Caram, Axl & Del would have to be the ones with the definitive answer, so far it's been "no" or "I don't remember". 

12 hours ago, Italian girl said:

Were there sessions for CD? Or everyone recordered singularly his parts in different moments?

The band (Finck, Josh, Tobias, Tommy, Dizzy) were in the studio together for 2 years about 3-5 days a week from 97/98-2000.

Likely again from 2000-2001, but this time with Bucket, Brain, Paul, Tommy, and Dizzy.

Richard joined in 2001, but says most of the stuff was done when he went in to record his parts.

Then Robin joined again in 2001. So the last band effort was probably from 2001 through 2002 before the tour.

Even with all that time, Tommy says they recorded everything (i think at least 3 times), because of label people and producer people. So they probably were all there together when most of the songs were written, and maybe even recorded them live (because they for sure played live and loud in the studio), but they rerecorded them later again and again.

Then in 2006/2007, Robin, Bumblefoot, Frank, and Axl all went into a studio (not sure if together or not, but their manager at the time said that there were like 2 or 3 productive days from Axl out of the many weeks/times they booked the studio. I infer that as Axl needed/wanted to be present to oversee either them recorded their parts, or the engineer copy and pasting their parts)

1 minute ago, Italian girl said:

Thanks @Mendez

Btw, it sounds like they were boring infinite sessions :P

Josh Freese said it was fun for him as he was friends with everyone in the band (including Axl) during the 97/98-2000 sessions. Its just (according to Josh) that they ran out of stuff to do after doing all the songs after about a year.

Tommy and Josh. Robin made the balloon hats.

2i92k2e.jpg

Theres a picture of Josh and Robin from 98 in the studio on his instagram.

• Like 1

On 24/11/2016 at 7:58 PM, IncitingChaos said:

Yea sounds like the only songs Zutant had worked on were Madagascar, The Blues, and Chinese Democracy...the most appealing songs 

I think this version is the one before Zutaut came to check out the drum sounds and buckethead.

Edited by Silent Jay

23 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

I think this version is the one before Zutaut came to check out the drum sounds and buckethead.

Thats a recreation (aka fan edit) of the 2001 version using the multitrack

Edited by Mendez

16 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Well I thought yes, I have all the leaks so I need to check out. But you make me doubt. I think you're right because the lyrics should have been 'As if your eyes were your ass you can tell' in 2001 right? Yeah nevermind.

Its a fan edit. it has Bumblefoot and Frank on it. Axl's vocals have the octave harmony that wasnt present throughout until the album was released. The MSL, and Antiquiet have Brains drums. Plus Brain drummed it the way it is on the leaks in 2001-2002, and 2006. Even the radio promo snippets have the same drums

@Silent Jay

First is the Boston 2002 TV promo, 2nd is i believe the MSL leak, and 3rd is the antiquiet

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1