TRUMP Thread

Silent Jay

55 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Do you mean stuff like turning off the lights when I leave a room; turning off appliances when I'm not using them; not leaving things on standby; not owning a car and instead getting around on public transport; not buying train tickets with my card because they print out an extra billet for the receipt; saving paper wherever possible; recycling, organic food waste, metal, paper/cardboard and plastic; making sure to eat everything I make or order; taking my own bags to the shops; not dropping litter; putting on more layers in the house rather than turning the heating up? I try my best to do stuff like this as much as possible... Could I do more? Absolutely, but I do make an effort.

I do most of the things in that, although it is not as if I have the environment in mind while doing them; for instance litter on our streets drives me mad regardless of environmental implications (the British are foul creatures in this regard), and, I have a number of recipes for using up food that is (as my mother would say) ''on the turn''. I use public transport a lot also.

20 minutes ago, Graeme said:

They might not be particularly onerous overall, but I pretty much conform to the list of lifestyle choices recommended for reducing one's carbon footprint by the NGO COTAP (Carbon Offsets to Alleviate Poverty). I guess I don't really have the facilities to take bold steps like growing my own food or generating my own electricity. I don't have the land for food production, I currently live in a household of 4, so I have to share with other people, I generally eat what gets cooked for everyone and I'm not sure that insisting on eating separately would actually reduce the amount of energy consumed overall, I don't have the option to buy solar panels or a wind turbine for the house.

I try to keep up to date with climate change research and to contribute to a culture of awareness and positive collective action (by arguing with people on the internet mostly). However it's difficult to escape the feeling that action at the individual level is a bit futile when you have people with a similar mentality to our Steve now governing the biggest per capita carbon-emitting economy on Earth...

I don't want it to sound like I'm having a go, as doing something is better than nothing, and if everyone chipped in it would be a grand start. To me, all of the listed things seem like things that everyone should do. I can't understand why people crank up the central heating whilst wearing a t-shirt, or leave lights on all over the place, for example. I was just interested in why you aren't more on the proactive end of the spectrum, was all, seeing as you obviously care about the environment (and rightly so).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

I don't want it to sound like I'm having a go, as doing something is better than nothing, and if everyone chipped in it would be a grand start. To me, all of the listed things seem like things that everyone should do. I can't understand why people crank up the central heating whilst wearing a t-shirt, or leave lights on all over the place, for example. I was just interested in why you aren't more on the proactive end of the spectrum, was all, seeing as you obviously care about the environment (and rightly so).

I have thought about joining the Scottish Green Party but I'm a bit reticent to throw myself 100% behind any political organisation, even the one that currently most closely conforms with my own values. I kinda think that all political parties are destined to let you down at some point and it's better to be able to evaluate each manifesto at each election with an independent perspective. I am studying an environmental science, so it's entirely possible that when my degree is complete my career path will take me onto the more proactive end of the spectrum.

• Like 1

You can't make a difference. We'll have to build more nuclear reactors is all. Humans will be instinct one day. This party is temporary. People in developing countries want washing machines and cars too. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

I've survived Ivanka, I've never watched so much CNN. 

She is fuckin' fitness isn't she?  No wonder Trump is always looking goofy and self assured...which conversely explains why George Bush Snr always looked so uptight, shagging Barbara must be like shagging a folding WWF steel chair.

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

She is fuckin' fitness isn't she?  No wonder Trump is always looking goofy and self assured...which conversely explains why George Bush Snr always looked so uptight, shagging Barbara must be like shagging a folding WWF steel chair.

Think Trump is married to Melania but he said he would date Ivanka. 

Bush senior is dying it looks like, but through his teeth he's still seems to be saying "nuke iran"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wasted said:

Think Trump is married to Melania but he said he would date Ivanka. 

Bush senior is dying it looks like, but through his teeth he's still seems to be saying "nuke iran"

I was talking about whatever one Trumps married to now, the first lady.  Who the fucks Ivanka, his daughter?!?

Edited by Len Cnut

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I was talking about whatever one Trumps married to now, the first lady.  Who the fucks Ivanka, his daughter?!?

Yeah, I mean they are both decent. Trump is hilarious though. Goes everywhere with about 8 blondes.