Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

1 hour ago, bikka said:

Interestingly enough, Izzy himself said he has never ODed...

Q: Have you ever had any paranormal experiences?
Izzy: I've had altered state, out-of-body experiences - they were mostly drug-induced. I do
meditation now, though, and I find that very relaxing. You know what? I try to practise meditation
twice a day now and I don't always get it, but I've found that, half of the time, I can get to that
same euphoric state that I used to get with opiates, or very close - and of course, not the hangover
and you don't have to go score and risk your life. It's much better, you know.
I've never OD'ed on any drugs, so to speak, but there was one time, when I'm sure I was probably
close to overdose. When I was first experimenting with opiates, I'd smoked some heroin and I
remember laying down and there was a Who song on the radio in the background, 'Teenage
Wasteland'. I remember hearing this, laying there, feeling very relaxed, and then that keyboard
part came on - dicka-dicka-dicka-dicka-dicka-dicka. On opiates, if you do too much, your
respiratory starts to shut down, so probably what was happening was my respiratory was about to
shut down, but hadn't really, and I remember waking up just agasp - urhhhhhh! - one of those
things, and that was really bizarre - really scary, actually. But then I felt fine and I was living with
Stevie at the time, so we went back, started playing the guitar and drums again, and everything
was cool. That was the closest I ever came to something very foreign to me. It was very strange
and probably not good!

From Metal Is interview, 2001

Thanks, I've never read this before. So either Axl pulled that OD story out of his head or it happened and Izzy doesn't want to remember it.

Doug Goldstein on the Japan flight incident (from Mick Wall's book). As he describes it, it doesn't seem like an OD:

By the start of December 1988, Guns ‘n’ Roses were back out on the road: five headline shows in Japan, held over from the summer, culminating in a sell-out show at the 14,000 capacity Budokan, in Tokyo. With the exception of Axl, the band were mostly drunk throughout this tour, as they knew they would be unable to score for drugs of any description once inside Japan. As Doug Goldstein says: ‘They knew they couldn’t take any heroin with them. So on the plane over Izzy takes a handful of sleeping pills and we literally have to carry him through customs – into the van and then up to his room.’ Hours later, ‘Izzy wakes up and he has literally no fucking clue where in the world he is. So he calls Steven. “Hey man, where are we?” Steven goes “We’re in fucking Japan.” Izzy goes, “No, we’re not.” Steven goes, “I want you to go to the window right now and look outside and if you can see one head of blonde hair I’ll suck your dick!”

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Hours later, ‘Izzy wakes up and he has literally no fucking clue where in the world he is. So he calls Steven. “Hey man, where are we?” Steven goes “We’re in fucking Japan.” Izzy goes, “No, we’re not.” Steven goes, “I want you to go to the window right now and look outside and if you can see one head of blonde hair I’ll suck your dick!”

We can only hope Duff wasn't feeling like taking a walk under their window in that moment :lol:

Thanks for the story @bikka new to me too!

Edited by Darkenchantress
  • Like 4

@Frey :wow: Welcome to Izzy Stradlin world! B-):izzy:

3 hours ago, KiraMPD said:

Oh man... Why did I go back and read that article? It's so fuckin sad... :no:

With regards to Izzy denying ever having OD'ed (and generally keeping hush hush about his past), I always got the feeling that Izzy is a little paranoid about his past. I can't help but think about the lyrics in 14 years:

I've been the beggar...
I've played the thief

I've been the dealer...hangin' on your street
I was the dog...they all tried to beat

I also recall Alan Niven once stating that Izzy was nervous about his drug-dealing past and Niven assured him that it wouldn't come to light if he didn't want it to...? Others have said that Izzy was the schemer, the instigator. Axl once said that Izzy was always good at scamming his way in. That doesn't seem like someone who is 'shy'. I get the feeling that Izzy was involved in some seriously shady shit back then (not just fooling around as a street kid like the others), which he might think would get him into a lot of trouble if the information becomes public. Thus he keeps a low profile.

:wow: That is sonething tht I need to know!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

Just reading Richard Fortus old interview N' He's also selling drugs,

N' I remember reading tht He likes bikes just like Izzy,

also He's into Pink Floyd too

Some proof tht Richard is Izzy with moobs :rofl-lol:

:lol:

What does he say about selling drugs? 

Ive never really bothered to find out much about the NuGnR guys. 

17 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

:lol:

What does he say about selling drugs? 

Ive never really bothered to find out much about the NuGnR guys. 

Do you remember your first guitar?

There were always guitars around the house but I remember the first one that I bought. I got it from my father’s company. At that time they owned a guitar line called Electra and those were my first guitars. I sold drugs to buy it (laughs)

Are you serious?

Yeah, I was like twelve years old.

What is a twelve year old doing selling drugs?

I was trying to buy a guitar (laughs)

What were you selling?

I used to sell joints for the guys up the street and from there I was selling bags of weed and then from there I ended up buying water acid from Hell’s Angels. I used to also buy speed from these junkies that would break into pharmacies and they didn’t want the speed so I’d buy like black beauties and yellow jackets and speckled eggs, stuff like that, for like fifty bucks and then I’d sell them for a buck a piece. So I made a lot of money doing that.

And you were twelve?

Yeah, it was when I was in Junior High, so I would’ve been thirteen when I was selling speed.

Did your parents find out?

I think the first time I got busted by my parents I was twelve. I also got caught at school and they called the police and stuff.

Worse than Izzy

Edited by SerenityScorp

4 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Thank you @SerenityScorp He was hardly trying to survive the streets of LA and dealing smack.

I only know, out of those he mentioned, weed and speed. Speed isn't that bad, is it? Bet most of us have had speed, right? :lol:

But still for a junior high kid selling drugs

Not Me, Never had any drugs or smoke, so I didnt know

Edited by SerenityScorp

9 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

But still for a junior high kid selling drugs

Not Me, Never had any drugs or smoke, so I didnt know

It's still not comparable to living on the streets selling Heroin. 

You are right though, it's not good for a twelve year old to be selling weed and whizz! 

JFC Richard Fortus...and he was only 12?:shock:

I've never had speed...I think? I'm not sure. 

Where is that conspiracy theory about Izzy being in shady stuff coming from? lmao It's funnyJulian Assange, do you have something to say? Did Izzy like to kick puppies back n 1985?:lol:

Maybe I'm alone in this but I think being a dealer, pimp, junkie and a bit of an asshole during your youth is shady enough and reason enough to feel embarrassed for the rest of your life and keep a low profile. Especially if you're someone famous that never wanted to be that famous to begin with. When you get older you start to rethink your life and most of the time is like :facepalm: wtf was I thinking?

• Like 2

Izzy is a clown

Slash is Scientist

Axl,Duff N' Adler are stripper :rofl-lol:

3 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Where is that conspiracy theory about Izzy being in shady stuff coming from? lmao It's funnyJulian Assange, do you have something to say? Did Izzy like to kick puppies back n 1985?:lol:

Maybe I'm alone in this but I think being a dealer, pimp, junkie and a bit of an asshole during your youth is shady enough and reason enough to feel embarrassed for the rest of your life and keep a low profile. Especially if you're someone famous that never wanted to be that famous to begin with. When you get older you start to rethink your life and most of the time is like :facepalm: wtf was I thinking?

Maybe

38 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

I don't think he had been doing something far shadier than that, but those activities were more serious compared to what the other 4 were doing at the time.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think he had been doing something far shadier than that, but those activities were more serious compared to what the other 4 were doing at the time.

Definitely, I cant imagine if somethings happens to HIm because of He's selling drugs:scared:

You know how much Axl hates Them using drugs I wonder what He said to Izzy about selling drugs

Izzy's full address in on the net? Not cool at all. I didn't even know he lived in Ojai until the Art Tavana thing a couple of weeks ago.

36 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

You know tht in the band Fortuss started play with drum too before change into guitar ;)

It's the natural progression. You learn rhythm on drums then you switch to guitar that is much cooler and easier to transport :lol: I didn't discover my full potential as a rhythm player till I started "drumming" on my desk xD

Edited by Darkenchantress

Just now, SerenityScorp said:

Definitely, I cant imagine if somethings happens to HIm because of He's selling drugs:scared:

You know how much Axl hates Them using drugs I wonder what He said to Izzy about selling drugs

I don't think Axl had a problem the time Izzy was doing that. He was using himself.

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Agreed and that's what I'm saying. What could possibly be shadier than that?:shrugs:

2 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

Izzy's full address in on the net? Not cool at all. I didn't even know he lived in Ojai until the Art Tavana thing a couple of weeks ago.

Exactly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

It's the natural progression. You learn rhythm on drums then you switch to guitar that is much cooler and easier to transport :lol: I didn't discover my full potential as a rhythm player till I started "drumming" on my desk xD

Someone said tht He have one in Indy N' also in France or I dunno which country/city in Europe too

Well not all People

Edited by SerenityScorp

33 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Dude I wasn't trying to start a 'conspiracy theory', just a little bit of speculation. You make it sound like I'm trying to 'defame' Izzy or something. Being a dealer and a pimp can get you mixed up in awful situations, and I suspect that maybe at times it went overboard. Do I think Izzy's still like that? No.

Besides, it's just speculation. You can disagree if you like.

44 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Especially if you're someone famous that never wanted to be that famous to begin with.

This I'm not so sure about. There have been a few accounts of how Izzy was trying hard to join the more popular bands on the LA scene for a while there. He also tried to be a lot more vocal during interviews when Guns first started getting attention. I suspect that once Izzy got a taste of fame, he was put-off by it and no longer desired it.

• Like 1