Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

5 hours ago, Archtop said:

I'm not holding out for anything spectacular, we might get an acknowledgment on 30 years in some capacity, but it will most likely be current line up with Stizzy guesting. As much as my heart would like this to happen, my head kind of goes; no way that's appalling. I'm not sure theres anything really indicating Izzy will participate, other than wishful thinking.

As for GnR/Who combo, sorry but I find that really weird, not a great fan of the Who, is it me or they kind of dated. They don't have the status of the Stones or the appeal of a live act such as AC/DC. My opinon is based  on the fact that The Who  are not on my radar at all, it just seems a slightly desperate bid on both bands to fill stadiums. I an not convinced GnR could sell out for a third time in two years and does The Who have that kind of fan base? Enlighten me someone.

As much as I am a GN'R fan The Who are Stones, Zep, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen level. 

I've seen many, many bands, The Who in Belfast the second time I saw them was the best live show I've ever seen. They're The Who FFS. 

Edited by Izzymacbeth

21 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I was going through Izzy's rig on google and found this interesting article. They put him in #4 in the list of most underrated rhythm guitarists.

Izzy Stradlin

Think of the band Guns N Roses. Think of them right now. The image swirling up through the cracks of your brain is most likely one featuring a certain lead guitarist and singer.

This is understandable, of course. Axl Rose and Slash indisputably provided the sonic and visual candy in the band. Undergirding the band’s sound however, was always the loose and jangly tone of Izzy Stradlin’s rhythm guitar.

With respect to the theme of ‘underrated’, the point to be made here is that Guns N Roses was defined by Izzy Stradlin, who was the rhythmic lynchpin of the entire band prior to his departure.

Bolstered by a great rhythm section, he provided the canvass for Slash to play almost all of his most iconic solos over. Not widely known in GNR’s heyday, it has also come to light that he was also the principle songwriter of the band during the fabled Appetite for Destruction era, duly complimented by Slash and occasionally Duff McKagan.

Open about his eclectic pool of influences, Izzy’s sensibilities as a rhythm guitarist lie roughly at the confluence of upbeat punk music, and more traditional classic rock.

This is reflected clearly in song composition; Guns N Roses are a band who married the guttural energy of punk with accessible and occasionally even predictable chord movements.

Stradlin favoured some truly beautiful semi-acoustic Gibson guitars. Tonally, this provided a warm and resonant counterweight to Slash’s more invasive Les Paul sound. As amplification, Izzy has favoured deeper, less distorted Fender amps.

The idea we want to hammer here is one of interplay between the guitarists, an understated attribute of all the best bands. GNR are a prime example, where this interplay manifests in both complimenting tones and interlocking guitar parts.

It wouldn’t require the biggest stretch of imagination to picture two budding guitarists sat together in a rehearsal room trying to work out guitar parts, only to decide out of laziness or inexperience to play the same chords in the same way for a ‘thicker’ sound.

This would be a terrific waste of frequencies – guitar parts can always be double-tracked in the studio if need be. Izzy Stradlin’s genius however, was to create rhythm guitar parts which would not only carry across the song, but also dance around and underneath Slash’s more prominent lead rhythm. The result being that the guitars never competed but instead worked together and around each other, weaving in and out as the song demanded.

https://www.uberchord.com/blog/10-rhythm-guitarists-izzy-stradlin/

If you check the site, they show some examples of Izzy and Slash's guitar interplay (they're wrong about Mr. Browstone, though, Slash is the one who plays the power chords at the end of the riff while Izzy plays the cool lick).

Now moving to what I was originally looking for, I wanted to ask you what's your favorite guitar among the ones Izzy's played? I have a weakness for Les Pauls (nothing to do with Slash :rolleyes:) and love this Goldtop Izzy's played:

tumblr_la7ogpawqp1qc8orp.jpg

For some reason, my favorite Izzy guitar is the Gibson ES-175, though.

mXb1m.jpg

This is what Izzy said about this one: "The Gibson ES-175s were a big favorite of mine when we first started. I could get them for $300 or $400. I like Les Pauls, but the hollowbodies are great, because I can play them in hotel rooms or anywhere without an amp. I just love the look, the feel, and the sound those things get." - Guitar Player magazine, May 1993

I think nothing beats this combo, Izzy with the ES-175 and Slash with the Les Paul :wub:

6f8d1b677ebd0a322064f41301ece43f.jpg

EDIT: Here are some of Izzy's guitars and amps in case you want to take a look. Not 100% accurate, though, but still useful. http://equipboard.com/pros/izzy-stradlin

I got myself an ES-135 years ago when I was Izzy in a tribute band, I usually play Les Paul's and Tele's in my own band but took the old girl to play Hard Rock Hell festival last November, I love it

FB_IMG_1488333570947_zpsnlm4mkax.jpg

Certified Records Sold (Not the most current numbers but they're still close enough):

1. Beatles: 270.4 million
  2. Zep: 139.3 million
  3. Pink Floyd: 118.7 million
  4. Queen: 113.8 million
  5. Stones: 96.6 million
  6. Aerosmith: 84.4
  7. GNR: 73.1 million
  8. The Who: 26.7 million

No doubt The Who puts on a great show but they still aren't in the same league as the others. Aerosmith makes more sense to tour/co-headline with. :shrugs:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

Certified Records Sold (Not the most current numbers but they're still close enough):

No doubt The Who puts on a great show but they still aren't in the same league as the others. Aerosmith makes more sense to tour/co-headline with. :shrugs:

I wouldnt think those figures are worldwide accurate. Maybe in the USA but there is no way Aerosmith have sold more records than a band from the 60's who played Woodstock and still have songs used in shows like CIS etc.

Edited by Izzymacbeth
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Izzymacbeth said:

I wouldnt think those figures are worldwide accurate. Maybe in the USA but there is no way Aerosmith have sold more records than a band from the 60's who played Woodstock and still have songs used in shows like CIS etc.

That list is from 2016 and is worldwide...

5 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

The album Who's Next alone sold 100 million worldwide. 

You sure its not just American 'wordwide' like The 'World' Series? 

Not sure where you're getting your info, but the worldwide certified sales for The Who are 26.7.

Wasn't looking to argue with you. Believe whatever you want. :facepalm:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Not arguing either, just have no idea where you are getting yours. Everywhere I look its in the 100 million mark. Who's Next is considered one of the greatest albums of all time. Have a Google and a read! 

Now I remember why I had you on ignore...

For the third time, the list I made is certified sales. Claimed and certified numbers are two very different things. If you had googled record sales you would know that.

Even if you go by claimed sales they're still far down the list from the other bands I listed. Next time please do us all a favor and google what you're talking about before trying to sling insults. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kris_1989

Just now, Kris_1989 said:

Now I remember why I had you on ignore...

For the third time, the list I made is certified sales. Claimed and certified numbers are two very different things. If you had googled record sales you would know that.

Hypothetically, even if you go by claimed sales they're still far down the list from the other bands I listed. Next time please do us all a favor and google what you're talking about before trying to sling insults. :rolleyes:

I have no idea I had insulted you, if I did then sorry, I just do not believe Aerosmith have sold more than The Who and I refuse to believe that which is entirely up to me. 

http://www.statisticbrain.com/top-selling-music-artists-of-all-time/

I'l throw my 2 cents in this. the above link is pretty consistent with the numbers I've seen on different sites that report the numbers on record sales. 

Pretty significant margin between the certified sales and reported sales. interpret that as you wish. Numbers dont lie though imo. With that said though, Music isnt a competition. so what? if one band has sold more than the other. doesnt diminish them one bit imo. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe Aerosmith are more commercially successful  (although in Europe they are not so immensely popular as they are in the US), but in my opinion they can't be compared to The Who in terms of significance and influence.

All subjective of course. that opinion will vary by the person. 

record sales are a good indication of popularty and commerical viability. The who cant beat Aerosmith in numbers because they went a good 20+ years without releasing an album between 82 and 06. I think that is why the have fallen behind and why they seem to struggle a bit more to sell out venues. Its a big reason why the whole GNR/ The Who shows are rumoured for SA and why it makes sense, for The Who especially. They need another band to help them play large venues in an uptapped market. 

plus there is discrepency in how America counts their certification and the rest of the world. Gold certification in the US is 500,000 unit sold. everywhere else that varies same thing with platinum certificationa and beyond. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

http://www.statisticbrain.com/top-selling-music-artists-of-all-time/

I'l throw my 2 cents in this. the above link is pretty consistent with the numbers I've seen on different sites that report the numbers on record sales. 

Pretty significant margin between the certified sales and reported sales. interpret that as you wish. Numbers dont lie though imo. With that said though, Music isnt a competition. so what? if one band has sold more than the other. doesnt diminish them one bit imo. 

Exactly if sales mattered Guns should be touring with Take That or Britney Spears. The Who are HUGE. A band of clear status as (half) living legends and 50 years of making music. I stand by they are up there with Queen, Stones etc

7 hours ago, killuridols said:

I didn't even know they are still together but in Latinamerica, I don't think they have such a big fanbase for them to play stadiums.

The combination is odd indeed and one I will have to shove down my throat if it happens and I want to see GN'R again......

Perfect combo would have been Aerosmith/GN'R.

If they come again to Argentina and all the neighbor countries, I'm sure they will sell out but they don't need The Who for that.

And if the ticket prices are much more expensive because of The Who, I will have to think about it twice.

I'm in the same situation. I have big respect for The Who but I'm not into them at all and I'll have to see them anyway it seems.

The GNR/Aerosmith combo would be awesome but I think neither band would accept to be anyone's opening band.

7 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

The Who fans mixed with GnR fans will be hilarious. 

Mods vs Rockers :lol:

Actually I imagine a few thousands of GNR fans, a bunch of Who fans and a shitload of casuals who have to attend to big shows because that's cool... :max:

7 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

KqJnjci.gif

Come on, this has to be the best thing EVER!!! :rofl-lol:

6 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Don't know if anyone mentioned it but this tweet as well as the one @Kris_1989 posted have Del James tagged. It's not like he's looking for stuff about Izzy (or Stizzy) and liking it out of the blue. He could have ignored these tweets, though, so who knows...

6 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

Yeah, and to be honest, I don't think it means anything. :shrugs:

@Archtop I think Izzy's guitar on "Stuck in the middle with you" video is an acoustic Gibson J-200 vintage sunburst. Another beauty. :heart:

Dammit, girl, you're an expert! I'll move to Spain so you can give me some lessons B-)

2 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

I got myself an ES-135 years ago when I was Izzy in a tribute band, I usually play Les Paul's and Tele's in my own band but took the old girl to play Hard Rock Hell festival last November, I love it

FB_IMG_1488333570947_zpsnlm4mkax.jpg

That guitar is fn' gorgeous!! :drool:

2 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

I'd recommend to anyone doubting the list to check it here in wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists There you can see how much those albums sold in each country (well, only in the countries where they sold the most actually).

Also, in case someone didn't realize, Kris put together a list with the bands that were being mentioned, but these are not the top 8 selling rock bands.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe Aerosmith are more commercially successful  (although in Europe they are not so immensely popular as they are in the US), but in my opinion they can't be compared to The Who in terms of significance and influence.

I think it's extremely hard (if possible at all) to measure which band was more influential than which. For what it's worth, Aerosmith influenced my favorite band :D

27 minutes ago, killuridols said:

They are HUGE but they need GN'R to fill a stadium? :confused:

I'd love to see GN'R again but I don't know if I want to eat up 5 hours of a show which half I won't give a damn, really.....

I need to figure this out soon!

They don't seem to have aged well as far as popularity goes but I think they were a fairly big band a few centuries ago :P

Now I hope you're kidding. I don't wanna see The Who either but would you miss Slash and your favorite ass because of them?

4 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Now I hope you're kidding. I don't wanna see The Who either but would you miss Slash and your favorite ass because of them?

I need to know if there will be any way to avoid them :ph34r: or some other thing I can do to console myself that I have to put up with that before GN'R :max:

In any case, it will be a chunk of money for me because I have to make travels :max: so that's why I need to think it twice.

We'll see....

11 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I need to know if there will be any way to avoid them :ph34r: or some other thing I can do to console myself that I have to put up with that before GN'R :max:

In any case, it will be a chunk of money for me because I have to make travels :max: so that's why I need to think it twice.

We'll see....

Not that hard for me to console myself, I just think "at least it's not Airbag" and I immediately feel so much better :lol:

Hope you'll work it out, we have a big chance of seeing some Seeker free GNR concerts!

13 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Not that hard for me to console myself, I just think "at least it's not Airbag" and I immediately feel so much better :lol:

Hope you'll work it out, we have a big chance of seeing some Seeker free GNR concerts!

lol man, I never got to see Airbag!! :hahafyou:
Both shows I arrived to the stadium like 1 hour / 30 minutes before GN'R so I am clean of that shit.

I would love to do the same now but don't know how yet :ph34r:

38 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

They don't seem to have aged well as far as popularity goes but I think they were a fairly big band a few centuries ago :P

This is correct. Its due to the huge gap in not releasing albums. They missed out on the 80s and 90s babies especially, whereas bands like Aerosmith were able to make the transition with their music videos from the late 80s and early 90s. 

On the radio they only ever play a few songs at most. atleast here in LA from what ive been exposed to, Its either Baba Oreily or Wont Get Fooled again. 

They are highly influential though. They imo invented that power chord, riff rock that would follow. 

Edited by NicDwolfwood

25 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Don't know if anyone mentioned it but this tweet as well as the one @Kris_1989 posted have Del James tagged. It's not like he's looking for stuff about Izzy (or Stizzy) and liking it out of the blue. He could have ignored these tweets, though, so who knows...

Fuck, you're right i didn't saw  Del James was tagged, thanks for bring it up, that makes a LOT more sense u.u ... about The Who + GNR i think is not about one of the bands needing to fill a Stadium, i think is about RIR festival coincidence, and hide the fact Izzy and Steven aren't in the AFD anniversary..  in 2007 The Who cancelled his show in Argentina cause they couldn't find a place to play in Brazil and Chile, so maybe they think this is a good opportunity to come to South America... both parts are winning , Here's the article , is in spanish sorry http://www.lanacion.com.ar/880646-se-cancelo-el-show-de-the-who

Just to clarify, I posted that list because we were discussing how odd the pairing is with GNR and because IzzyMacBeth claimed The Who were a bigger band than they are. I like The Who, I've got nothing against them and agree they deserve to be respected as a band. But just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I should exaggerate their current status.

GNR proved last year they could sell stadiums on their own. Which is why I mentioned Aerosmith as a better co-headliner because in terms of touring/record sales success they're more on GNR's level. They would take the NITL tour - or whatever it will be called - to another level with cross promotion. With The Who it's more one sided, The Who will benefit from GNR but not so much the other way around.

On top of that the crowds don't mix well. How many GNR fans are Who fans? And vice versa? What's the one song all gnr fans complain about? The Seeker, because it sticks out like a sore thumb in the set. Great song with The Who, not so much with GNR. Turn your fandom off for a second and try to picture The Who fans mixed in with this:

It just doesn't fit.

Nothing I said was to put down The Who's music so how this debate has been twisted into that is just :facepalm:

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, killuridols said:

lol man, I never got to see Airbag!! :hahafyou:

Lucky you! Not that I saw much of their set either but still, not seeing them at all would have been better. Actually, I didn't dislike their last song to be fair, but that's all.

39 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

This is correct. Its due to the huge gap in not releasing albums. They missed out on the 80s and 90s babies especially, whereas bands like Aerosmith were able to make the transition with their music videos from the late 80s and early 90s. 

On the radio they only ever play a few songs at most. atleast here in LA from what ive been exposed to, Its either Baba Oreily or Wont Get Fooled again. 

They are highly influential though. They imo invented that power chord, riff rock that would follow. 

Well, I think most of the casuals who fill the stadiums nowadays were born in the 80s so that may be a critical gap popularity wise.

41 minutes ago, Izzyarg said:

Fuck, you're right i didn't saw  Del James was tagged, thanks for bring it up, that makes a LOT more sense u.u ... about The Who + GNR i think is not about one of the bands needing to fill a Stadium, i think is about RIR festival coincidence, and hide the fact Izzy and Steven aren't in the AFD anniversary..  in 2007 The Who cancelled his show in Argentina cause they couldn't find a place to play in Brazil and Chile, so maybe they think this is a good opportunity to come to South America... both parts are winning , Here's the article , is in spanish sorry http://www.lanacion.com.ar/880646-se-cancelo-el-show-de-the-who

To be honest, I don't think they mean to hide Izzy and/or Steven's absence with this. The anniversary is on July and they'll be doing the north american leg at that point so we all will notice if Izzy and Steven are not involved at all, there will be no way to hide that. Unless they come up with a new album out of nowhere

21 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

Just to clarify, I posted that list because we were discussing how odd the pairing is with GNR and because IzzyMacBeth claimed The Who were a bigger band than they are. I like The Who, I've got nothing against them and agree they deserve to be respected as a band. But just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I should exaggerate their current status.

GNR proved last year they could sell stadiums on their own. Which is why I mentioned Aerosmith as a better co-headliner because in terms of touring/record sales success they're more on GNR's level. They would take the NITL tour - or whatever it will be called - to another level with cross promotion. With The Who it's more one sided, The Who will benefit from GNR but not so much the other way around.

On top of that the crowds don't mix well. How many GNR fans are Who fans? And vice versa? What's the one song all gnr fans complain about? The Seeker, because it sticks out like a sore thumb in the set. Great song with The Who, not so much with GNR. Turn your fandom off for a second and try to picture The Who fans mixed in with this:

It just doesn't make fit.

Nothing I said was to put down The Who's music so how this debate has been twisted into that is just :facepalm:

This has already happened in the main section, some Who fans seem to be pretty passionate about the band and they either can't or don't want to acknowledge how their current status differs from the one they had back in the day. They sell what they sell these days and whether or not any of us like them won't change that. But don't get upset :(:hug:

On a different note, I'm not sure what GNR would benefit from doing a tour with Aerosmith either. If you're selling the tickets yourself, sharing the bill with another mega band doesn't sound like good business. You'll be selling the same tickets but splitting the loot in a shittier way. And we know a certain trinity don't like that. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

This has already happened in the main section, some Who fans seem to be pretty passionate about the band and they either can't or don't want to acknowledge how their current status differs from the one they had back in the day. They sell what they sell these days and whether or not any of us like them won't change that. But don't get upset :(:hug:

On a different note, I'm not sure what GNR would benefit from doing a tour with Aerosmith either. If you're selling the tickets yourself, sharing the bill with another mega band doesn't sound like good business. You'll be selling the same tickets but splitting the loot in a shittier way. And we know a certain trinity don't like that. :ph34r:

I'm not upset, a little annoyed a few hours ago, but I'm good now. :lol: I just don't want what I said twisted around or misunderstood.

And you're probably right about Aerosmith too. Especially since Aerosmith is also claiming this is their last tour, AeroVederci and all that. (Yeah right. They'll be back. :ph34r: Joe lives to tour too much and so does Steven)

I know Metallica doesn't need the help with sales at all but it would be pretty cool for GNR to go out with them again. Finish what they started after all these years.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread...

"Moving right along..." :izzy:

4 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Well, I think most of the casuals who fill the stadiums nowadays were born in the 80s so that may be a critical gap popularity wise.

We're in agreement. Like I said above a GNR/Who tour benefits the Who much more than GNR, especially if what Ive read is true, that the Who have struggled to sell out venues in recent years.