Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

That thing about the 80's/90's babies missing on The Who is fucking true. I'm one of those babies :ph34r: and I had never heard of them in my teens. Not that I am completely ignorant now too but I swear I couldn't name one The Who song, except for The Seeker, which I already hate with all my guts. :facepalm:

Not only that... When I was at the shows here in Argentina and they started playing The Zika, most people around me looked at each other and had no idea what song was that. Many thought it was a "new" GN'R song!!! :smiley-confused2:

I feel like this odd pairing is headed for disaster. GN'R fans will not like it and I can already hear the booh's and whistling :facepalm:

3 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I think it's extremely hard (if possible at all) to measure which band was more influential than which. For what it's worth, Aerosmith influenced my favorite band :D

The Who represented a whole subculture in the 60s, they were more versatile musically, then they popularized rock opera etc. Aerosmith were a louder version of the Stones (of course popular and good and everything) and they managed to stay relevant in the 90s with commercially orientated songs (not a bad thing necessarily) . GnR were influenced by Aerosmith and by other bands including The Stones.

In the end, all the influences go back to the blues (directly or not). Old bluesmen and rock 'n' rollers still living may not be "relevant" today, but it doesn't change the fact that they were influential and it doesn't take away from their significance. In this sense, historically at least, The Who are more significant and influential than Aerosmith. And I'd dare say that in terms of cultural impact in their era GnR have been more significant than Aerosmith although they were influenced by them.

Edited by Blackstar
added
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

I'm not upset, a little annoyed a few hours ago, but I'm good now. :lol: I just don't want what I said twisted around or misunderstood.

And you're probably right about Aerosmith too. Especially since Aerosmith is also claiming this is their last tour, AeroVederci and all that. (Yeah right. They'll be back. :ph34r: Joe lives to tour too much and so does Steven)

I know Metallica doesn't need the help with sales at all but it would be pretty cool for GNR to go out with them again. Finish what they started after all these years.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread...

"Moving right along..." :izzy:

A few months ago I saw Aerosmith and it was announced as their last show in Argentina. They're coming back this year... :max: I'm glad they're a bunch of liars, though, 'cause I love them and wanna see them again! ^_^

I would totally love a GNR/Metallica tour. Maybe financially it wouldn't work as well for them as touring on their own but it would be a lot a fun and they'd get a shitload of press. It would be a massive thing! And hopefully we'd get new things like this:

35 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

We're in agreement. Like I said above a GNR/Who tour benefits the Who much more than GNR, especially if what Ive read is true, that the Who have struggled to sell out venues in recent years. 

I think @MillionsOfSpiders mentioned how The Who ain't selling that well these days in the UK and I believe every word she says :P

It will be cool, though, I'm sure they'll earn a lot of new fans in these shows. Everyone here who's seen them say they're one of the best live bands ever.

32 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Not only that... When I was at the shows here in Argentina and they started playing The Zika, most people around me looked at each other and had no idea what song was that. Many thought it was a "new" GN'R song!!! :smiley-confused2:

I feel like this odd pairing is headed for disaster. GN'R fans will not like it and I can already hear the booh's and whistling :facepalm:

I don't think it will be a disaster. Half of the people who attend the shows are GNR fans (or maybe less) and I can't imagine GNR fans nor casuals disrespecting The Who. Worst case scenario there won't be much interest and they'll only get a cold applause but I imagine many people will be into the show. I imagine myself counting the minutes to see GNR, though.

27 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The Who represented a whole subculture in the 60s, they were more versatile musically, then they popularized rock opera etc. Aerosmith were a louder version of the Stones (of course popular and good and everything) and they managed to stay relevant in the 90s with commercially orientated songs (not a bad thing necessarily) . GnR were influenced by Aerosmith and by other bands.

In the end, all the influences go back to the blues (directly or not). Old bluesmen and rock 'n' rollers still living may not be "relevant" today, but it doesn't change the fact that they are influential and it doesn't take away from their significance. In this sense, historically at least, The Who are more significant and influential than Aerosmith.

In the end, it's all thanks to Chuck Berry :P

• Like 1

Does anybody remember the exact year the Juju hounds split? I know I should know this but I can't remember for the life of me and google brings up nothin'. :lol: I swear sometimes I'm 27 going on 87. :facepalm:

Anyway, I was reading some of Marc Canters posts on here and stumbled on this:

On 5/21/2015 at 5:12 PM, recklessroad said:

When Axl called me in 1996 and told me that Slash and Izzy are back and that they may work something out. I told him the very same thing, go in a room with the rest of the guys and don't come out until you have a record. Why would I think differently now?

We know that 117 degrees had some material carried over from the last juju hounds record that was never finished (RIP JuJu Hounds :() and 117 was released in 98'? So I'm thinking Juju hounds was done in 95/96? And according to Marc, Axl called in 96 so is it possible the JuJu Hounds ended so abruptly because Izzy was trying to go back to GNR?

Edited by Kris_1989

3 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

Does anybody remember the exact year the Juju hounds split? I know I should know this but I can't remember for the life of me and google brings up nothin'. :lol: I swear sometimes I'm 27 going on 87. :facepalm:

Anyway, I was reading some of Marc Canters posts on here and stumbled on this:

We know that 117 degrees had some material carried over from the last juju hounds record that was never finished (RIP JuJu Hounds :() and 117 was released in 98'? So I'm thinking Juju hounds was done in 95/96? And according to Marc, Axl called in 96 so is it possible the JuJu Hounds ended so abruptly because Izzy was trying to go back to GNR?

Juju's played their last show in Japan, 9.19.93

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

Honestly, I think it might have been the other way around. Maybe after ending the JuJu Hounds Izzy thought it could be worth giving it another shot with GNR.

----------------------------------------------------------

Actually, just found this: http://likeadog.boards.net/thread/24/why-ju-hounds-split

It says Izzy quit music altogether in '93 and then picked up the guitar again in '95 when he started playing with Duff, Rick and Taz. Maybe Duff convinced him to try one more time with GNR.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

But when were they recording in Trinidad?

Hard to pinpoint the exact dates. Its sometime between that last show and late 94. He did alot of traveling in 94 is what I have read. Only time he got on a stage in 94 was with Aerosmith in Denmark on 6.30.94

Just now, NicDwolfwood said:

Hard to pinpoint the exact dates. Its sometime between that last show and late 94. He did alot of traveling in 94 is what I have read. Only time he got on a stage in 94 was with Aerosmith in Denmark on 6.30.94

Thanks for trying at least! :)

I think @BorderlineCrazy is probably right. Looks like everything was done by late '93 so the GNR call would've been much later.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

Thanks for trying at least! :)

I think @BorderlineCrazy is probably right. Looks like everything was done by late '93 so the GNR call would've been much later.

Just found this too:

Trivia: Released in October 1992 this was the debut album by Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds. This was Izzys first album since leaving GNR in late '91.

Tracklisting:

1 Somebody Knockin
2 Pressure Drop
3 Time Gone By
4 Shuffle It All
5 Bucket O Trouble
6 Train Tracks
* How Much (Japan only bonus)
7 How Will It Go
8 Cuttin The Rug
9 Take A Look At The Guy
10 Come On Now Inside
xx. Morning Tea (hidden)

Available on iTunes (UK/Europe only), Amazon and eBay.

IZZY STRADLIN AND THE JU JU HOUNDS

Izzy Stradlin - vocals, guitar, percussion
Rick Richards - guitar
Jimmy Ashhurst - bass, backing vocals
Charlie "Chalo" Quintana - drums, percussion

THE HISTORY

"The best thing about this is, it's not a complicated thing. It was fun."

That's how Izzy Stradlin describes Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds -- a band and a debut album, launched October 13, 1992 on Geffen Records worldwide.

Recorded in Chicago and Los Angeles and co-produced by Stradlin and Eddie Ashworth with mixes done in Copenhagen, the album is influenced by some of the musical styles Stradlin heard growing up, from the Keith Richards-style riff which opens "Somebody Knockin'" to the Beatlesque psychedelia of "How Will It Go" to the sinewy reggae skiffle of "How Much" and the country-blues of "Time Gone By". There's also a duet between Izzy and Ronnie Wood on a cover of the latter's "Take A Look At The Guy." The lead track, "Shuffle It All," has a Lou Reed-meets-Rolling Stones attitude, something of a "tumble on the wild side."

The album was preceded in Europe on September 14 by a four-cut EP, Pressure Drop, which includes "Been A Fix," "Came Unglued" and "Can't Hear 'Em," plus a revved-up cover of Toots & the Maytal's reggae classic, "Pressure Drop," the only track also included on the album.

It's been 13 years since Stradlin packed his drums in the back of his Chevy Impala and left his hometown of Lafayette, Indiana bound for Hollywood. He hooked up with high school buddy Axl Rose and became a founding member, rhythm guitarist and a songwriter of Guns N' Roses. Stradlin was the primary songwriter of such G N'R classics as "Patience" and "Mr. Brownstone," as well as the writer or co-writer of 12 songs on Use Your Illusion I & II, including the solo-credited "Double Talkin' Jive," "Pretty Tied Up" and "You Ain't The First."

Tell Stradlin it took a lot of courage to talk away from one of the biggest bands in the world in November of 1991 and he laughs. "It was a pretty tough thing," he acknowledges. "I was pushed and pulled in any number of directions. It just wasn't working out for me on any level and I couldn't seem to communicate my side of it, y'know. I couldn't really get through to anybody. I've known Axl a long time and I still have a lot of feelings for those guys. But I had to leave to get sane and somewhat normal. To get back to reality, I guess you could say. I'm happy. I don't know what the future holds or anything, but what the Ju Ju Hounds have done is good. I'm pleased with it, and if other people dig it, that will just be icing on the cake."

When Stradlin flrst left G N'R he returned to Lafayette and decompressed by riding trials motorcycles over obstacle courses. "I wasn't interested in music after all I'd been through," he says. "But when wintertime came to Indiana, I was sitting in a room with a guitar in the comer and it was the only thing that seemed to make sense." I began writing songs and recording them on eight-track until I had an entire demo album."

He called his friend Jimmy Ashhurst, who had played bass for Broken Homes, and the two began working on the material. But they didn't want to record with just the two of them and the process took on a momentum of its own when Ashhurst opened up his little black book and began bringing in musicians like former Georgia Satellite guitarist Rick Richards and ex-Cruzado/Bob Dylan drummer/percussionist Charlie Quintana to round out the core band. They represent a U.S. melting pot of references: a west coast bassist, southwestern drummer, and deep south guitarist to complement the midwestem frontman.

As the project progressed more guest stars showed up, like legendary keyboardist Nicky Hopkins and one-time Face lan McLagan, Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood, reggae vocalist Mikey Dread, guitarist Jah-T and more.

Stradlin was sensitized by the simplicity of his music and new life.

"During the recording we had the LA floods, earthquakes, the riots and the studio even got hit by lightening while I had headphones on. But it was great. Those are the kind of things I'd never noticed before back when I was doing drugs and stuff," Stradlin recalled. "Concentrating on playing music is what gets me off. I wanted to do a cover for the single sleeve with me in a pair of headphones and dark glasses, just listening to my music. I don't hear the bullshit."

The Ju Ju Hounds play more for the feel than to be analytical about what they're saying. A lot of the Iyrics aren't intended to be understood. It was such a groove Iyric, slurred in the backing vocal on a demo recording that sounded like "ju ju hound" that gave the band it's moniker.

Stradlin has been stabbing handfuls of pushpins into a world map to mark the places the band will hit on its maiden tour. They'll start with a club tour of Europe and the U.K., plus a short foray to Japan before they begin touring the U.S. early in 1993. "On the road I always wanted to get out and see the people and places around town," enthused Stradlin. "I'm really looking forward to playing again."

THE ALBUM

Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds was recorded in Chicago and Los Angeles, with mixes done in Copenhagen and was co-produced by Izzy and Eddie Ashworth. Stradlin discussed the making of the record and offered the following track-by-track comments:

"Somebody Knockin" (Stradlin/Ashhurst): "Most of these songs are pretty vague and abstract because, when I write, I end up throwing together a bunch of thoughts that don't really blend together in a story. This one started as a guitar rhythm. It's probably a flashback on all the different visitors I've had over the last seven years since the success of G N'R."

"Pressure Drop" (Frederick Hibbert): "That's one of my favorite reggae songs ever. Originally we were going to cover it reggae style, but it was just too good. I figued we'd just fuck it up, so we just turned it completely around. But to give people an idea of where it came from, we put a little bit of the original version at the end."

"Time Gone By" (Stradlin/Richards): "We found ourselves going back to the music we were brought up on. This is a root-ish song I co-wrote with Rick Richards. He popped that riff, Charlie had a real cool drum thing he was doing. I wrote some lyrics and we put it all together. This one came real easy. A collaboration I was really happy with."

"Bucket O' Trouble" (Stradlin): "That's a real slammer."

"Got Away"* (Stradlin/Ashhurst): "It's just a mood; not about anything in particular, more like a collection of thoughts. Which doesn't make this any easier for you, does it? It's one of the first collaborations I've ever done with someone outside Guns N' Roses. Since '85 and that band started, I hadn't done anything with any other group or artist as far as songwriting goes. It was a little weird at first. Once we bagan recording the material I came out with, new stuff kept coming up."

"Train Tracks" (Stradlin): "That's the only song which is really autobiographical in a nutshell. Where I grew up in Indiana, we used to live by the railroad. That's where we hung out and smoked pot. If you weren't in school or working, that's where you were...down by the train track."

"How Will It Go" (Stradlin): "Definitely a song about change that you feel. I listen to so many different types of music, I guess it just rubs off on me. This was another song written in one sitting. Originally, I was going to record it with just me and an acoustic guitar. After I played it in the studio, we added keyboards and drums."

"Cuttin' A Rug" (Stradlin): "We had a real good time recording this. When we went to Chicago, the hotel we stayed at would have live music every night and all these people would be there, laughing, buzzing and dancing. When we went out, we'd pass all these reggae, rock, thrash, punk and jazz clubs on Clark street where people were just having a good time. Being in L.A. I'd forgotten how it was in some towns where the music scene thrives seven days a week and people are cuttin' a rug. This is just a fun song about loosening up."

"Take A Look At The Guy" (Wood): "That's from Ronnie Wood's solo album, I've Got My Own Album To Do. We collared him when he was having a listening party for his new album over at A&M Studios. Ian McLagan knew him from the Faces days. We went out to dinner and I asked if he wanted to do a duet on the song. It took a couple of days, but we got it together. We took turns singing. That's his guitar solo at the end. Four in the morning..."

"Come On Now Inside" (Stradlin): "That's a really soft, moody song with piano. It's the slowest tune on the record. It's about winter in Indiana, which is both dark and cold."

For good measure, Stradlin also commented on the rest of the Pressure Drop EP tracks:

"Been A Fix" (Stradlin): "That was sort of an angst song. I thing I was reflecting back to when I was first taking a look around after the success of G N'R and what a fuckin' mess it felt like I was living in. We left Hollywood dirtbags and we came back heroes. What a fuckin' trip. Originally, the track was called 'Sure Been A Trip.' Then I changed it to 'Sure Been A Bitch,' then we mixed it up so some of the vocals are 'been a trip' and some are 'been a fix,' as in jam, like you're in a fix."

"Came Unglued" (Stradlin): "That's the fastest song I've ever written in my entire life. I'd just gotten off the phone with somebody and I went back into my bedroom and recorded this in one take with my guitar and a little miniature buzz amp at full distortion. Then I went back and wrote down what I played, divided it into verse and choruses and wrote the lyrics the next day. It's sort of fragmented, but it's about coming apart completely. Because that's how I felt at the time. Like I was coming unglued. Then I wrote the song and I felt just fine."

"Can't Hear 'Em" (Stradlin/Ashhurst): "I like reggae because you can listen to it anytime, anyplace, anywhere. When ever I get a little wound-up, I put on a reggae tape and I can just kick back. Whenever we'd finish up a song in the studio, we'd go straight into a 15-20 minute reggae jam. Of course, our version of reggae doesn't sound like the stuff from Jamaica. It's kind of like our version of it."

*Japanese release only.

Label: Geffen
Released: Oct. 1992

Izzy Stradlin & The Ju Ju Hounds broke up in 1993 before work on there second album was completed.

http://likeadog.boards.net/thread/19/ju-hounds-record

Edited by BorderlineCrazy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

The Who represented a whole subculture in the 60s, they were more versatile musically, then they popularized rock opera etc. Aerosmith were a louder version of the Stones (of course popular and good and everything) and they managed to stay relevant in the 90s with commercially orientated songs (not a bad thing necessarily) . GnR were influenced by Aerosmith and by other bands including The Stones.

In the end, all the influences go back to the blues (directly or not). Old bluesmen and rock 'n' rollers still living may not be "relevant" today, but it doesn't change the fact that they were influential and it doesn't take away from their significance. In this sense, historically at least, The Who are more significant and influential than Aerosmith. And I'd dare say that in terms of cultural impact in their era GnR have been more significant than Aerosmith although they were influenced by them.

Yeah, I agree. Come on, The Who were huge back in the day. They kinda reinvented the mod movement in the 60's. There's Tommy, Quadrophenia... My generation???? That is like a fucking RnR hymn that some people consider to be a big influence for bands such a Sex Pistols or Ramones. I personally hate the guy (don't know him personally of course but he has such a big mouth) but Pete Townshend is a living guitar legend and speaking of influence there's a certain guitarist we all love that loved to do the "windmill" on stage with the result of looking even cooler. The thing is, as someone mentioned, they might have missed some generations (no pun intended :lol:). I'm an 80's kid, born in late 70's and I love The Who thanks to my mom but yeah, most of the people know CSI main theme and that's all. That doesn't take away the influential part in music history but again, the general public that go to a GnR show might be a little lost. 

Dammit, girl, you're an expert! I'll move to Spain so you can give me some lessons B-)

:lol: I'm certainly not! But you can come over and visit whenever you want! You can bring your future wife too, I quite like her. :P

10 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

Yeah, I agree. Come on, The Who were huge back in the day. They kinda reinvented the mod movement in the 60's. There's Tommy, Quadrophenia... My generation???? That is like a fucking RnR hymn that some people consider to be a big influence for bands such a Sex Pistols or Ramones. I personally hate the guy (don't know him personally of course but he has such a big mouth) but Pete Townshend is a living guitar legend and speaking of influence there's a certain guitarist we all love that loved to do the "windmill" on stage with the result of looking even cooler. The thing is, as someone mentioned, they might have missed some generations (no pun intended :lol:). I'm an 80's kid, born in late 70's and I love The Who thanks to my mom but yeah, most of the people know CSI main theme and that's all. That doesn't take away the influential part in music history but again, the general public that go to a GnR show might be a little lost. 

I agree. In absolute terms and historically The Who are way more significant than Aerosmith, but yes, in relation to the current GnR shows (and the people who go to them), Aerosmith would be a better match.

• Like 3

A few months ago I saw Aerosmith and it was announced as their last show in Argentina. They're coming back this year... :max: I'm glad they're a bunch of liars, though, 'cause I love them and wanna see them again! ^_^

I would totally love a GNR/Metallica tour. Maybe financially it wouldn't work as well for them as touring on their own but it would be a lot a fun and they'd get a shitload of press. It would be a massive thing! And hopefully we'd get new things like this:

I think @MillionsOfSpiders mentioned how The Who ain't selling that well these days in the UK and I believe every word she says :P

It will be cool, though, I'm sure they'll earn a lot of new fans in these shows. Everyone here who's seen them say they're one of the best live bands ever.

I don't think it will be a disaster. Half of the people who attend the shows are GNR fans (or maybe less) and I can't imagine GNR fans nor casuals disrespecting The Who. Worst case scenario there won't be much interest and they'll only get a cold applause but I imagine many people will be into the show. I imagine myself counting the minutes to see GNR, though.

In the end, it's all thanks to Chuck Berry :P

Yes, it was me who said they weren't selling arenas out even here in the uk and pissed a few Who fans off, incidentally I didn't see any of them saying they were going to these shows, such big fans they are :P I pointed out that they are attaching themselves to GnR in SA because they (the who) really want to play to an audience there as they have never done that, but they weren't sure they could do the shows alone. In comes Guns to help out yet another band of their musical heroes, good lads :lol: 

They've always been called the last of the great rock bands and it's funny now to see them helping out their heroes, this must be such a massive thing for them. Bet they never thought they'd be helping out AC/DC and The Who. 

Im not going to join the influence debate since The Who are from the UK and I'm biased. True legend status though :P

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders
  • Like 4

Its also worth pointing out that this is a geographical thing. Aerosmith are an arena band here and not very popular at all unless headlining rock specific festivals like Download and not huge across the board ones like Glastonbury (cough, The Who, cough). People know them but Aerosmith really only came on the scene in the UK and Ireland in the early 90's. We basically had no idea these guys had been haunting the States since the 70's. The Who however are revered and are British icons. 

Edited by Izzymacbeth
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

It is quite strange how unpopular Aerosmith are here, they're nowhere near as popular as Guns N' Roses are. 

Personally I love them but seeing 2 of them guest with GN'R in Paris 92 was the first time I've heard of them. I saw them 7 years ago at Download and will again in Dublin at 3 Arena

2 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Personally I love them but seeing 2 of them guest with GN'R in Paris 92 was the first time I've heard of them. I saw them 7 years ago at Download and will again in Dublin at 3 Arena

Me too, I'm having to go to Download for the day this year to see them. I live 10 minutes down the road from Donington so it's not far for me to go. I'm just going to turn up later on in the day. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Me too, I'm having to go to Download for the day this year to see them. I live 10 minutes down the road from Donington so it's not far for me to go. I'm just going to turn up later on in the day. 

Sadly I live in the 'awkward' part of the UK, Belfast, usually have to travel to The Republic, Scotland or England for the bigger shows. Looking forward to Slane though, buses full of fans travelling down! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Sadly I live in the 'awkward' part of the UK, Belfast, usually have to travel to The Republic, Scotland or England for the bigger shows. Looking forward to Slane though, buses full of fans travelling down! 

I'm originally from Sheffield and that's another lucky area because it has one of the best arenas in the UK, the sound system in there is brilliant. I know loads of people from round here going down to London for the weekend, I was hoping Download will be half empty because of it :lol:

7 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I'm originally from Sheffield and that's another lucky area because it has one of the best arenas in the UK, the sound system in there is brilliant. I know loads of people from round here going down to London for the weekend, I was hoping Download will be half empty because of it :lol:

Lol, my mates going over for the Download show only. He's Aeronuts, tattoos etc.

My own band had a tour booked going through Sheffield but we then decided to take a break due to my own health problems. If its ever rescheduled I'll put you on the door! 

• Like 1

OK since I seem to have shown my self up ? with my complete 'Who' ignorance, where do I start? At the beginning with My Generation, or with a quick Goggle Tommy seems to be the most popular album. Any recommendations anyone?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Archtop said:

OK since I seem to have shown my self up ? with my complete 'Who' ignorance, where do I start? At the beginning with My Generation, or with a quick Goggle Tommy seems to be the most popular album. Any recommendations anyone?

I would say Who's Next and play it loud then The Who by Numbers. ☺️

• Like 1