Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

For those who haven't seen this:

Gilby, Matt as well as Duff and Izzy. Duff organised the event which brings me to question:

We know Izzy played with all his successors at some point live or just writing (Gilby pre Guns, Guns 93, Snakepit, the above show), Paul I'm sure of seeing as they knew each other and Izzy plays Lead and Rhythm on Back Off Bitch and then Richard over the years with the touring GN'R. We also know Duff shared the stage with Tommy, has Slash ever performed maybe not together but even at the same show with Robin or DJ or even the Nu-2nd lead players Buckethead or Ron? 

Edited by Izzymacbeth
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Gilby, Matt as well as Duff and Izzy. Duff organised the event which brings me to question:

We know Izzy played with all his successors at some point live or just writing (Gilby pre Guns, Guns 93, Snakepit, the above show), Paul I'm sure of seeing as they knew each other and Izzy plays Lead and Rhythm on Back Off Bitch and then Richard over the years with the touring GN'R. We also know Duff shared the stage with Tommy, has Slash ever performed maybe not together but even at the same show with Robin or DJ or even the Nu-2nd lead players Buckethead or Ron? 

No, Slash never played with any of them. He actually took a picture at some event with Alice Cooper, Nikki Sixx and DJ but he didn't know who DJ was and that he was in Axl's band. Slash only played with Josh Freese (who never got to play live with Axl but was part of Chinese Democracy) and obviously with Paul Huge, who was one of the reasons why he quit.

12 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

Female Izzy is so beautiful :smiley-confused2:

Feminizzy :wub: :rofl-lol:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

:lol: I'm certainly not! But you can come over and visit whenever you want! You can bring your future wife too, I quite like her. :P

awww, you're so sweet :heart:  I quite like you too, no wonder Stradlin choose you :P

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

An unsigned ad in the Lafayette newspaper (8/4/79) wishing Izzy happy birthday :)

35m3x3b.jpg

Axl's work, I'd bet :ph34r::P 

And Blackstar, such nice finds - this one and the other you posted on women's thread. Thanks for sharing, it's much appreciated :hug:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

This is totally off topic but am I the only one that can picture Izzy doing this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/sports/its-a-nice-night-for-surfing.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Surfers are nuts. :lol:

I wonder if he even still surfs?

The @ArtTavana article said something about him surfing, I think. Impressive if true. I would imagine it would be awfully hard on a 55 year old body.  

The newspaper ad's adorable, I bet it's from his Momma.

• Like 1

On 15.4.2017 at 6:27 PM, Izzymacbeth said:

I hate the 'No gang' name. He said a word 29 years ago in an interview. I said biscuits in an interview a few years back. And 'gang' is just Scooby Doo. Would mods mind a more serious Izzy thread discussing music, guitars, songs etc and not so much 'hotness'. Leaves a music fan feeling uncomfortable. 

Tbh I think NO! gang is very fitting name for this thread. Izzy has also said "NO" to:

-continuing with GNR in 1991

-joining Velvet Revolver and

- (sadly) NITLT tour

...so it's not just that one interview.

There is guitar and music talk on this thread... 

3d60f12a46e47033a77ed6eaa499ba82.jpg  

I thought Sherlock Holmes was a fictional character, then I met @Blackstar :o:shock:

That ad was a nice gesture from... someone :lol: Blackstar will probably figure it out if we give her a day or two

1 hour ago, dgnr said:

awww, you're so sweet :heart:  I quite like you too, no wonder Stradlin choose you :P

So we're going, right? Get ready, @Darkenchantress, we have Appetite For Paella (?)

13 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Tbh I think NO! gang is very fitting name for this thread. Izzy has also said "NO" to:

-continuing with GNR in 1991

-joining Velvet Revolver and

- (sadly) NITLT tour

...so it's not just that one interview.

There is guitar and music talk on this thread... 

3d60f12a46e47033a77ed6eaa499ba82.jpg  

That's actually very true. The fact that Izzy has said no to these things despite them being good opportunities from a financial point of view speaks volumes about him.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Stradlin recalled. "Concentrating on playing music is what gets me off. I wanted to do a cover for the single sleeve with me in a pair of headphones and dark glasses, just listening to my music. I don't hear the bullshit."

Stradlin has been stabbing handfuls of pushpins into a world map to mark the places the band will hit on its maiden tour. They'll start with a club tour of Europe and the U.K., plus a short foray to Japan before they begin touring the U.S. early in 1993. "On the road I always wanted to get out and see the people and places around town," enthused Stradlin. "I'm really looking forward to playing again."

1) That phrase sums up what I think happened with his departure of GNR and the Jujus ... in GNR became an employee and it wasn't fun anymore and  with the Jujus he was the boss and had a lot of pressure. If he isn't free, having fun and  free of drama he quits without a second thought. I also think Jimmy using drugs was a big factor, i'm sure he didn't want to be near any substance. 

2) Iz if you like to travel .. why you don't do a tour? pleaseeee :( we can run a kickstarter proyect!

Btw very cool post !

4 hours ago, beautifulanddamned said:

The @ArtTavana article said something about him surfing, I think. Impressive if true. I would imagine it would be awfully hard on a 55 year old body.  

The newspaper ad's adorable, I bet it's from his Momma.

The north of Spain where I live is a very well known place for surfers. There's a whole surfer culture going on here and our waves are some of the best. So it's pretty normal to see a lot of them and among them, there are quite a lot older men that kick younger asses when it comes to stand up on the board. You can say there are men that had been surfing pretty much all their lives. Izzy seems to be in good shape and healthy so it wouldn't surprise me if he's still surfing. Surfing at night must be one of the most beautiful experiences ever! I've never done surfing (I'd love to try it though) but I've done stand up paddle (in daylight) and it is absolutely amazing. I'd love to try it at night, they got these boards with led lights and it looks stunning. But of course, the water around here is supposedly too cold for most sharks so the ones we got here are usually not dangerous for people. I'd love to try it anyway. ::Jaws theme starts playing on my mind:: :lol:

@Blackstar OMFG that birthday add is adorable!!! :heart: Probably from his mom, or some teenage crush or... Axl, teenage crush, what I said. :P It was right before he left for LA!

Edited by Darkenchantress
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

@Blackstar OMFG that birthday add is adorable!!! :heart: Probably from his mom, or some teenage crush or... Axl, teenage crush, what I said. :P It was right before he left for LA!

:)

He must have left next year (or maybe he left for the summer and then came back?) because his name was among the high school graduates in 1980.

20 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

No idea, I always read he left when he was 17, but well, at the beginning of 1980 he was 17 too. :lol:

This is from May 1980:

2k0k8z.jpg

Btw, the other Isbell (Douglas) before him is his brother?

EDIT: Just noticed Paul Huge's (Tobias) name there also :P

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This is from May 1980:

2k0k8z.jpg

Btw, the other Isbell (Douglas) before him is his brother?

EDIT: Just noticed Paul Huge's (Tobias) name there also :P

Aren't Izzy's brothers names Joseph and Kevin? Never heard of a Douglas.

Maybe it's a cousin?

Or since it says "Douglas J. Isbell" - maybe his brother Joe goes by his middle name and it's his brother after all.

7 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

@Blackstar You're awesome for finding all of these. :headbang:

Supposedly Izzy did a interview with that newspaper right after leaving GNR but I've never been able to find it. Maybe it's in the archives?

I'll look for the interview and if I find it I'll let you all know :)

• Like 1