Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

15 minutes ago, Cold Jen Time said:

Anyway...... @Kris_1989 I saw something about "Jen and the facebook group".  Can I post something for y'all?  Was it these mysterious Izzy songs?  Did they ever go up for sale?  Just let me know what I can do.  Tried to catch up but I've missed so much.

Muah, my people!!!! :heart:

I believe Kris meant that you could help spread the word about the Kittyviolet album with Izzy on it through your Appetite for GnFR page. Glad to have you back! :heart:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

I believe Kris meant that you could help spread the word about the Kittyviolet album with Izzy on it through your Appetite for GnFR page. Glad to have you back! :heart:

Glad to be back.  I think I'm emotionally stable enough now to handle more Izzy. LoL. :lol: I can definitely help spread the word about the Kittyviolet album!  Although I kinda quit admin-ing on the Appetite page during my Izzy break and the main admin may be annoyed with me. :wacko: But I don't think he took my admin rights away so will see what I can do.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

All those trips to New Orleans...he feeds on blood and never gets old. :D

Learn from Keanu

7 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Sorry, can't stop. This is addictive...

xmsyz8ib.jpg

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170426/pngsdn23.jpg

The second link is another pic, but somehow it doesn't show.

Ikr,  Im still not done yet, Still not edit Duff N' Steven :ph34r:

33 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

I still can't get over those New Orleans stories. Niven has to be full of shit, right?

Guy seems to be unstable/weird to say the least.  So generally I wouldn't consider him a reliable source of information. Because of that, I don't know how much of this article/opinion is bs. (I'm pretty sure that it has been posted here before, I can't remember.)

http://teamrock.com/feature/2014-06-04/opinion-why-izzy-stradlin-was-the-heart-of-guns-n-roses

But when you read it, it is clear that he has one redeeming quality: he loves Izzy just like us. :wub:

gnr-alan-niv.jpg?w=584&h=393

I'm not fluent in Spanish, but this basically says: without Izzy and Adler it's more like Velvet Roses ( Niven referring to the current "reunion")  I have to agree.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Guy seems to be unstable/weird to say the least.  So generally I wouldn't consider him a reliable source of information. Because of that, I don't know how much of this article/opinion is bs. (I'm pretty sure that it has been posted here before, I can't remember.)

http://teamrock.com/feature/2014-06-04/opinion-why-izzy-stradlin-was-the-heart-of-guns-n-roses

But when you read it, it is clear that he has one redeeming quality: he loves Izzy just like us. :wub:

gnr-alan-niv.jpg?w=584&h=393

I'm not fluent in Spanish, but this basically says: without Izzy and Adler it's more like Velvet Roses ( Niven referring to the current "reunion")  I have to agree.

That man was loyal to Izzy while many tried to look like the cause of the reunion, or to be in the first show in the guest list, and it wasn't the first time, so he has my respect. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downliner said:

A little background info on the Izzy photos with Johnny pulled from the archives..... ;)

2007 - Johnny Kreis Q & A (Feb)

Johnny Kreis is best known throughout the GN'R community for being in the drummer in Hollywood Rose, here we find out a little more about his time in the band, other related projects and how his reunion with Izzy went. Many thanks to Johnny Kreis and Ed (IzzyDutch) for setting up this cool interview.

1. How did you end up being the drummer in Hollywood Rose and how long did you play with Axl and Izzy?

Actually Izzy and I played together in a band called Shire which was more along the lines of Melodic Metal, ala Scorpions, Def Leppard. Izzy played bass then, but he was also collaborating and writing songs with Axl, it wasn't long before they needed someone to lay tracks down for their new project which was materializing rather very quickly. Izzy's and Axl's songs were very streety and bluesy but had a very strong edge, and very related to what was going in the lives of young rocker kids on the street. Finally after a disappointing attempt at getting a record deal with Shire, moonlighting and playing a few gigs with Izzy's and Axl's band I made the decision to leave Shire, and play drums solely for Hollywoodrose or a few rocker buddies who were hanging out with us. Back in those days, one of those buddies and an absolute awesome guitarist and friend Tracii Gunns, seen our name change a few times to ROSE, AXL, then finally Hollywoodrose.

2. Could you share some of your coolest memories you have of Izzy (or Axl) from the HR period?

One of the coolest memories was the first time we played a very large venue/club called The Country Club in Reseda California, and the expression on peoples faces as we unleashed our brand of StreetMetal/Rock N Roll, from sitting on my drums I can almost read their minds saying "What The Hell Is This"….and yet Hollywoodrose in the very beginning was hitting a nerve in every person who was in that hall that night, a nerve that Would carry atleast two of the musicians of HR to become one of Rocks Icons! To Fame!

3. What was your reaction when you heard the HR tracks 'The Roots Of Guns N' Roses' was going to be released?

Honestly, I was rather troubled, cause nobody bothered to even try to contact me to let me know that my drum tracks would be released without my consent to the public, and I knew that some people out there would be interested and buy the CD, they don't represent the best of my playing but for that time I was pretty proud of them and they were with my friends, Izzy, Axl and The HR Crew. Now I look back and there's nothing I could have done about the release I have tried to contact the label, to no avail, somebody's makin money off of this CD, and it aint me, not a damn penny!........so that's life in the record biz!...yes! I am bitter about how it went over!.....but I am proud that now the world can hear me Johnny Kreis play drums with Izzy and Axl and Hollywoodrose!

4. In 2004 you met with Izzy again and talked for the first time in 20 years, how was that like? And have you had any contact with any of the other HR members after all these years?

I still remember the first email I got from Izzy after a friend from Norway by the name of Jan gave me Izzy's email, and it was first contact after 20 years and for Iz, many tours albums and reaching the other side of Fame, The Big Time, it was really cool for me to hear from Izzy once again, and through email we arranged a meeting at one of my dads gigs in long beach and thinking that "Well Izzy's Famous Now He Won't Show Up to my Invitation!

"My friend Iz, who toured the world!.....who played stadiums! With other famous musicians He won't show up to see his buddy from the beginning of time!....and my mom and dad knew Izzy also before he made it!........

Well I was wrong!.......as I look at the entrance of the event, there's Izzy walkin in! right on time!.......you see! Izzy is Famous! In my book! But damn! He's still Izzy …a nice and warm-spirited person that I knew before fame, he was down to earth then, and he is down to earth now in the present! We did book some studio jam time after that day and we still had that musical chemistry even now!....that was fun!

5. Do you still have any HR bootlegs or recordings lying somewhere in the basement that the fans don't know about?

Yes I have a copy of the very first demo we did,on cassette tape, which is now slowly disintegrating though time cause the label I remember was white, and now it's a dark brown and it said Rose, Wreckless, Shadow of Your Love, and My Way Your Way.

6. Could you please tell us something about how and when you started out playing drums?

Well my Dad, Theo Kreis (who played bass guitar in a polka band with Jan Van Halen, and believe it or not, back then a very young Alex Van Halen on drums) in the early seventies bought me a cheapy Drumset from a five and dime store, I remember it very well as it was Really just a toy set and had plastic rims and gold colored cardboard shells with paper skins, But then after showing that I had a real interest in drums my dad bought me a real drumset from Sears which had metal rims real drumheads and wood shells with silver sparkles in it! And a few years later my dad bought me a real drum set which was a Tama set. He would let me sit in with his band with his good friend Gary, from "Gary Spar and The Fragments" and play a tune or two, and boy was I nervous when I was called up by his drummer and sit in. I was 13 then. Then one day many years later my dad brought home an Album from one of his friends son's band that would change the way I see drums and where drums could take me!.....that album was The Very First Van Halen Album, yes with Alex On drums and my dad would tell me, Alex is playing in a hardrock band in Hollywood now! …..and after listening to that!......and the rest is history!.....I had to give it a try!

7. What are some of your favorite drum kits?

Lately I really like playing Pearl Drums, though I did play Tama for awhile when I was younger and I played my silver Tama whatever Star series during my Hollywoodrose days, they really kept up very well and I used Tama Hardware with The Harley Davidson of Bassdrum Pedals, The Ludwig SpeedKing bassdrum pedals. These days I play a double pearl Bassdrum pedal clamped on to a 26in pearl marching bassdrum, and the also play a real marching pearl snaredrum for my new rock set, its very basic but also very big and oversized, As I wanted a very big sound and look!....which was really funny cause I got this idea from watching marching bands and their big drums and how they projected their sound, so I thought how neat it would be to convert marching drums for use on stage, so I did thinking that I was the first and not knowing that while attending the NAMM Show here in Anaheim that everybody is now using oversized drums!......oh well! But I am getting nothing but praises from everybody of how they really like the sound of my converted oversized drums on stage.

8. Most people in the GN'R community know you from the Hollywood Rose days, in what other bands did you play?

A Few Unknown local bands in the LA and Orange County,RockBand Circuit, Striker, Badboys, (my last rockband was in 97 by the name of Harmsway with Kurt Wada on Vocals)

9. Are you currently in a band or involved in a musical project, if so could you tell us some more about it?

One of my projects that I'm working on is with guitarist "Lord of The Strings" Randy Jacobs which is an instrumental trio with the style of Steve Vai, Satriani, Buckethead. And another project of reuniting the core members of Harmsway with Kurt Wada, Tommy,and Jeff Trott with myself on drums probably under another name but we'll see what the future brings! but til then I will play casual gigs with my pops band SoundsUnlimited which are the OGs (the ol guys band) but they are fun to play music with and I get paid to play drums!

10. Looking back at your musical career so far, on which project are you most proud of?

I would say Hollywoodrose, cause with that band you just can't get any closer to fame than to have the honor of playing RockNRoll in the same band with Izzy Stradlin and Axl Rose…..It doesn't get any better than that! And now the entire planet can hear my drums on The Roots CD, cause I can say that!.............Thats's Me!............I Was There!

Hey! Quick Thanks! To My Friend Edwin and Staff at www.chopaway.com for inviting me to this incredible opportunity to share my little part of musical history with all of you!

Take Care! And Cheers!
Johnny Kreis

-----------------------

Johnny sent 2 photos with Izzy, one was taken at one of Johnny's casual gigs in Long Beach California, mid 2004. (Both image links now expired, but I'm almost certain they are the two images already shared above). He also sent a link to an early Hollywood Rose video which is now expired also, but I'm sure it'll be on Youtube :)

In an interview with SlamRocks.com Johnny mentioned that he had jammed with Izzy in 2003. He says "Izzy and I hooked up in May 2003 and jammed in a studio in West LA once more!… for fun! And it was amazing, as the musical Chemistry was still there"

Aww i loved it! can i borrow this to the izzy arg page?? 

2 minutes ago, downliner said:

Yeah of course you can mate :)

thanks :headbang: PS: guys, i didn't ask JT for the record yet cause i don't want to bother him maybe he's been busy or he has to find it :lol: but i'll ask him in a week if i see he didn't send me anything, i liked that rough sound and now i want to hear it!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

I still can't get over those New Orleans stories. Niven has to be full of shit, right?

He has to, but he seems to genuinely appreciate Izzy. Or he fakes it too well just to piss Axl off. :P

3 hours ago, downliner said:

4. In 2004 you met with Izzy again and talked for the first time in 20 years, how was that like? And have you had any contact with any of the other HR members after all these years?

I still remember the first email I got from Izzy after a friend from Norway by the name of Jan gave me Izzy's email, and it was first contact after 20 years and for Iz, many tours albums and reaching the other side of Fame, The Big Time, it was really cool for me to hear from Izzy once again, and through email we arranged a meeting at one of my dads gigs in long beach and thinking that "Well Izzy's Famous Now He Won't Show Up to my Invitation!

"My friend Iz, who toured the world!.....who played stadiums! With other famous musicians He won't show up to see his buddy from the beginning of time!....and my mom and dad knew Izzy also before he made it!........

Well I was wrong!.......as I look at the entrance of the event, there's Izzy walkin in! right on time!.......you see! Izzy is Famous! In my book! But damn! He's still Izzy …a nice and warm-spirited person that I knew before fame, he was down to earth then, and he is down to earth now in the present! We did book some studio jam time after that day and we still had that musical chemistry even now!....that was fun!

This is so lovely. I love to hear of this "down to earth Izzy" stories from the people who really know him. :wub: Thanks @downliner Also, I wish these guys would let the world listen to all those amazing jams and studio meetings they do sometimes.

3 hours ago, downliner said:

A little background info on the Izzy photos with Johnny pulled from the archives..... ;)

2007 - Johnny Kreis Q & A (Feb)

Johnny Kreis is best known throughout the GN'R community for being in the drummer in Hollywood Rose, here we find out a little more about his time in the band, other related projects and how his reunion with Izzy went. Many thanks to Johnny Kreis and Ed (IzzyDutch) for setting up this cool interview.

1. How did you end up being the drummer in Hollywood Rose and how long did you play with Axl and Izzy?

Actually Izzy and I played together in a band called Shire which was more along the lines of Melodic Metal, ala Scorpions, Def Leppard. Izzy played bass then, but he was also collaborating and writing songs with Axl, it wasn't long before they needed someone to lay tracks down for their new project which was materializing rather very quickly. Izzy's and Axl's songs were very streety and bluesy but had a very strong edge, and very related to what was going in the lives of young rocker kids on the street. Finally after a disappointing attempt at getting a record deal with Shire, moonlighting and playing a few gigs with Izzy's and Axl's band I made the decision to leave Shire, and play drums solely for Hollywoodrose or a few rocker buddies who were hanging out with us. Back in those days, one of those buddies and an absolute awesome guitarist and friend Tracii Gunns, seen our name change a few times to ROSE, AXL, then finally Hollywoodrose.

2. Could you share some of your coolest memories you have of Izzy (or Axl) from the HR period?

One of the coolest memories was the first time we played a very large venue/club called The Country Club in Reseda California, and the expression on peoples faces as we unleashed our brand of StreetMetal/Rock N Roll, from sitting on my drums I can almost read their minds saying "What The Hell Is This"….and yet Hollywoodrose in the very beginning was hitting a nerve in every person who was in that hall that night, a nerve that Would carry atleast two of the musicians of HR to become one of Rocks Icons! To Fame!

3. What was your reaction when you heard the HR tracks 'The Roots Of Guns N' Roses' was going to be released?

Honestly, I was rather troubled, cause nobody bothered to even try to contact me to let me know that my drum tracks would be released without my consent to the public, and I knew that some people out there would be interested and buy the CD, they don't represent the best of my playing but for that time I was pretty proud of them and they were with my friends, Izzy, Axl and The HR Crew. Now I look back and there's nothing I could have done about the release I have tried to contact the label, to no avail, somebody's makin money off of this CD, and it aint me, not a damn penny!........so that's life in the record biz!...yes! I am bitter about how it went over!.....but I am proud that now the world can hear me Johnny Kreis play drums with Izzy and Axl and Hollywoodrose!

5. Do you still have any HR bootlegs or recordings lying somewhere in the basement that the fans don't know about?

Yes I have a copy of the very first demo we did,on cassette tape, which is now slowly disintegrating though time cause the label I remember was white, and now it's a dark brown and it said Rose, Wreckless, Shadow of Your Love, and My Way Your Way.

6. Could you please tell us something about how and when you started out playing drums?

Well my Dad, Theo Kreis (who played bass guitar in a polka band with Jan Van Halen, and believe it or not, back then a very young Alex Van Halen on drums) in the early seventies bought me a cheapy Drumset from a five and dime store, I remember it very well as it was Really just a toy set and had plastic rims and gold colored cardboard shells with paper skins, But then after showing that I had a real interest in drums my dad bought me a real drumset from Sears which had metal rims real drumheads and wood shells with silver sparkles in it! And a few years later my dad bought me a real drum set which was a Tama set. He would let me sit in with his band with his good friend Gary, from "Gary Spar and The Fragments" and play a tune or two, and boy was I nervous when I was called up by his drummer and sit in. I was 13 then. Then one day many years later my dad brought home an Album from one of his friends son's band that would change the way I see drums and where drums could take me!.....that album was The Very First Van Halen Album, yes with Alex On drums and my dad would tell me, Alex is playing in a hardrock band in Hollywood now! …..and after listening to that!......and the rest is history!.....I had to give it a try!

7. What are some of your favorite drum kits?

Lately I really like playing Pearl Drums, though I did play Tama for awhile when I was younger and I played my silver Tama whatever Star series during my Hollywoodrose days, they really kept up very well and I used Tama Hardware with The Harley Davidson of Bassdrum Pedals, The Ludwig SpeedKing bassdrum pedals. These days I play a double pearl Bassdrum pedal clamped on to a 26in pearl marching bassdrum, and the also play a real marching pearl snaredrum for my new rock set, its very basic but also very big and oversized, As I wanted a very big sound and look!....which was really funny cause I got this idea from watching marching bands and their big drums and how they projected their sound, so I thought how neat it would be to convert marching drums for use on stage, so I did thinking that I was the first and not knowing that while attending the NAMM Show here in Anaheim that everybody is now using oversized drums!......oh well! But I am getting nothing but praises from everybody of how they really like the sound of my converted oversized drums on stage.

8. Most people in the GN'R community know you from the Hollywood Rose days, in what other bands did you play?

A Few Unknown local bands in the LA and Orange County,RockBand Circuit, Striker, Badboys, (my last rockband was in 97 by the name of Harmsway with Kurt Wada on Vocals)

9. Are you currently in a band or involved in a musical project, if so could you tell us some more about it?

One of my projects that I'm working on is with guitarist "Lord of The Strings" Randy Jacobs which is an instrumental trio with the style of Steve Vai, Satriani, Buckethead. And another project of reuniting the core members of Harmsway with Kurt Wada, Tommy,and Jeff Trott with myself on drums probably under another name but we'll see what the future brings! but til then I will play casual gigs with my pops band SoundsUnlimited which are the OGs (the ol guys band) but they are fun to play music with and I get paid to play drums!

10. Looking back at your musical career so far, on which project are you most proud of?

I would say Hollywoodrose, cause with that band you just can't get any closer to fame than to have the honor of playing RockNRoll in the same band with Izzy Stradlin and Axl Rose…..It doesn't get any better than that! And now the entire planet can hear my drums on The Roots CD, cause I can say that!.............Thats's Me!............I Was There!

Hey! Quick Thanks! To My Friend Edwin and Staff at www.chopaway.com for inviting me to this incredible opportunity to share my little part of musical history with all of you!

Take Care! And Cheers!
Johnny Kreis

-----------------------

Johnny sent 2 photos with Izzy, one was taken at one of Johnny's casual gigs in Long Beach California, mid 2004. (Both image links now expired, but I'm almost certain they are the two images already shared above). He also sent a link to an early Hollywood Rose video which is now expired also, but I'm sure it'll be on Youtube :)

In an interview with SlamRocks.com Johnny mentioned that he had jammed with Izzy in 2003. He says "Izzy and I hooked up in May 2003 and jammed in a studio in West LA once more!… for fun! And it was amazing, as the musical Chemistry was still there"

This is such an awesome interview, thanks for sharing. Jonny seems to be an awfully nice bloke - and of course down-to-earth Izzy makes me happy. :)

So why is Izzy not sharing the trillions of studio sessions he does with other musicians? I do wanna hear them!

About Niven, I seriously don't care whether he too loves Izzy or not. The amount of shit he is putting out over Axl (and Izzy too. I bet he doesn't want his black magic skills known :lol:) is too much. He is discredited in my eyes. Check out the women thread, Niven just got discussed there again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tori72 said:

This is such an awesome interview, thanks for sharing. Jonny seems to be an awfully nice bloke - and of course down-to-earth Izzy makes me happy. :)

So why is Izzy not sharing the trillions of studio sessions he does with other musicians? I do wanna hear them!

About Niven, I seriously don't care whether he too loves Izzy or not. The amount of shit he is putting out over Axl (and Izzy too. I bet he doesn't want his black magic skills known :lol:) is too much. He is discredited in my eyes. Check out the women thread, Niven just got discussed there again.

I agree.

And it's not just Axl; if you read/listen to his interviews, it seems like he hated Axl right from the start, but he also appeared (or still appears) to think Duff and Steven were/are retarded and hopeless cases, and he can't have had much respect for Slash either, if he tried to fuck Slash's wife/fiance (I don't blame Slash for wanting to get rid of him after that). He's also the source (or one of the sources) of the whole "Slash will do anything for money" thing. While that may or may not be true, it's still a shitty thing to say for someone in his position.

Niven's also to blame for bringing the moron that is Doug Goldstein into the GNR world. And the damage "Dougie" did to that band is hard to put into numbers, but probably extensive.

Anyway, you can't manage a band if you only respect one 1 out of 5 band members. And as you say, he probably did damage to Izzy too with all of that black magic nonsense.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Frey said:

I agree.

And it's not just Axl; if you read/listen to his interviews, it seems like he hated Axl right from the start, but he also appeared (or still appears) to think Duff and Steven were/are retarded and hopeless cases, and he can't have had much respect for Slash either, if he tried to fuck Slash's wife/fiance (I don't blame Slash for wanting to get rid of him after that). He's also the source (or one of the sources) of the whole "Slash will do anything for money" thing. While that may or may not be true, it's still a shitty thing to say for someone in his position.

Niven's also to blame for bringing the moron that is Doug Goldstein into the GNR world. And the damage "Dougie" did to that band is hard to put into numbers, but probably extensive.

Anyway, you can't manage a band if you only respect one 1 out of 5 band members. And as you say, he probably did damage to Izzy too with all of that black magic nonsense.

I dont know who is the first person tht into black magic,  Niven or Izzy?

Is the black magic thing a big deal? I certainly dabbled when I was a teen, and I walked into my daughters bedroom the other day to see her sat on the floor with a pentagram, a burning tea light apparently reciting a spell to change her eye colour. :facepalm: 

Don't a lot of people look for answers in the mystical be it horoscopes or black magic when life goes a little haywire, I just look at as fleeting bizarre interest on Izzy's part. I use to live next to a shop that sold everything from healing crystals to black magic literature, the place was fascinating. 

Anyway, as I know your all dying to ask, her eyes are still green. ?

I think there's dabbling and then there's flying to New Orleans multiple times for some black robe voodoo doll sillyness with your ex-manager. All to combat a psychic war that Axl supposedly started. :lol: And wasn't Izzy around 35 when all of this supposedly happened?

I'm trying not to judge but it just seems way out of character for Izzy. I also wouldn't put it past Niven to be making all of this up just to ruffle Axl's feathers. You can tell Niven hates Axl with a passion and will do anything to tick him off. The AC/DC comments are a pretty good example of that.

• Like 1