Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

1 minute ago, beautifulanddamned said:

Aaaaaaaanyway. 
I'm reading a book on the New York Dolls and I think it's insane they almost got Izzy to fill in for Johnny Thunders. I'd forgotten that. A deal was signed and everything. The official party line was that he didn't want to do anything extensive. In the book, it's said that they could never find him to rehearse in the first place. 

Arthur Kane: "All is great, but I should be rehearsing with Izzy already. We got to rehearse someday and not every man studying records in his own home by himself."

Izzy being Izzy. The fade away.

Image result for fade away gif

Both Duff and Slash mentioned Izzy's Johnny Thunders vibe in thier books. 

That is NEWS to me. How interesting! When was that, before or after GnR? Why would he not rehearse. He even rehearsed with GnR in 1993, i just saw a foto today with that caption. Izzy worshipped Jonny Thunders and really looked like him before GnR days. Why was he not more excited to work and rehearse with them? Maybe @downliner knows something about this too? :awesomeface:

3 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

That is NEWS to me. How interesting! When was that, before or after GnR? Why would he not rehearse. He even rehearsed with GnR in 1993, i just saw a foto today with that caption. Izzy worshipped Jonny Thunders and really looked like him before GnR days. Why was he not more excited to work and rehearse with them? Maybe @downliner knows something about this too? :awesomeface:

It was for their reunion show at the Meltdown Festival in 2004. I'm sure the offer was as flattering as it was daunting to him. He was the perfect choice and it would have been interesting to see what he would have brought to the band. Sigh.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Yes, I didn't know about it either! The New York Dolls reunion was in the 00s (in the 80s they were all solo - and they didn't know Izzy before GnR). I don't know why he wouldn't want to rehearse. According to @beautifulanddamned's link, he was unwilling to learn all the material...

4 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

It was for their reunion show at the Meltdown Festival in 2004. I'm sure the offer was as flattering as it was daunting to him. He was the perfect choice and it would have been interesting to see what he would have brought to the band. Sigh.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, I didn't know about it either! The New York Dolls reunion was in the 00s (in the 80s they were all solo - and they didn't know Izzy before GnR). I don't know why he wouldn't want to rehearse. According to @beautifulanddamned's link, he was unwilling to learn all the material...

Uuugh! This is frustrating! Man, we could have music, videos and fotos of Izzy fronting the bloody New York Dolls. :max::lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Tori72 said:

Uuugh! This is frustrating! Man, we could have music, videos and fotos of Izzy fronting the bloody New York Dolls. :max::lol:

Well that was back in 2004 so instead of the New York Dolls we got him With Velvet Revolver... I'm ok with that. :)

There was an article that I read years ago where they said it was supposed to be a 1 show gig (that Izzy agreed to) and then they started talking to the press saying he would be there for more shows (without talking to Izzy first) and that's what made Izzy bail. Not sure how much truth there is to that though. :shrugs:

Really wish we could get Izzy to engage on a Q & A with some of this stuff, so I think this role with the New York Dolls was eventually filled by Steve Conte?  Steve also played withe Michael Monroes band, and  Hanoi Rocks Sami Jaffa. Sami was a good friend  of Jimmy Ashhurst, so I guess the connections all just come down to who you know?   

Izzy definantly gets a bad rapp on rehearsing, and effort he puts into learning material wonder what that's about? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Archtop said:

Thanks @Jane M. why did I think this was in a limo??? There were three or four of these some time back it, must be from the European dates 2012 London. I think the guy sat next to Izzy who you can just see the top of his hat is Timo kalito who Izzy worked with on a song called Box 2009. I know Timo was a replacement in Hanoi Rocks for a time and Izzy was a fan, but it would be interesting to know how they came to work together. @downliner do you have any information on this one?

I don't know how they met with Timo (I believe they knew all the guys from Hanoi) but he's credited as one of the songwriters of Right Next Door To Hell too.

29 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

Aaaaaaaanyway. 
I'm reading a book on the New York Dolls and I think it's insane they almost got Izzy to fill in for Johnny Thunders. I'd forgotten that. A deal was signed and everything. The official party line was that he didn't want to do anything extensive. In the book, it's said that they could never find him to rehearse in the first place. 

Arthur Kane: "All is great, but I should be rehearsing with Izzy already. We got to rehearse someday and not every man studying records in his own home by himself."

Izzy being Izzy. The fade away.

Image result for fade away gif

Both Duff and Slash mentioned Izzy's Johnny Thunders vibe in thier books. 

It's a shame nothing came out of it, would have liked to see at least one show with Izzy fronting the band. I guess it was Steve Conte who took that place which is cool 'cause it led him to do great things with Michael Monroe after that.

Why do you always disappear, Izzy? :lol:

• Like 1

According to the book, there was talk about doing more shows, but only talk at that time. Izzy was only signed on for that one show. Arthur Kane would die of cancer in July of 2004, 22 days after the festival. The Dolls did regroup in 2006 and tour extensively between then and 2011, but that appears to be separate thing.

9 minutes ago, Archtop said:

Izzy definantly gets a bad rapp on rehearsing, and effort he puts into learning material wonder what that's about? 

There's fire under that smoke. Izzy wants to do what he wants to do when he wants to do it and when it's over for him it's over. I think the minute something stops being fun for him it's finished. Take it or leave it. :shades:

Must be nice to be able to live your life that way. Jealous.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:
22 minutes ago, Archtop said:

There's fire under that smoke. Izzy wants to do what he wants to do when he wants to do it and when it's over for him it's over. I think the minute something stops being fun for him it's finished. Take it or leave it. :shades:

Must be nice to be able to live your life that way. Jealous.

Yeah, probably. Most likely Izzy's reputation as being flaky or not putting in the effort isn't completely undeserved. Didn't he himself even say something about not bothering with or not being able to play Coma because it was difficult to remember?

It's probably little things like that that add up, because as you say, he's able to get away with stuff like that for the most part, unlike the majority of people on this planet. I'm jealous too.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Frey said:

Yeah, probably. Most likely Izzy's reputation as being flaky or not putting in the effort isn't completely undeserved. Didn't he himself even say something about not bothering with or not being able to play Coma because it was difficult to remember?

It's probably little things like that that add up, because as you say, he's able to get away with stuff like that for the most part, unlike the majority of people on this planet. I'm jealous too.

I lean towards him being in a position to please himself, so he does what makes him happy, I also think it comes down in part to his relationship with the music industry as whole and wanting to avoid it.

I'm torn between jealousy and wanting to put a rocket up his god damn arse. :awesomeface:

Edited by Archtop
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Archtop said:

I lean towards him being in a position to please himself, so he does what makes him happy, I also think it comes down in part to his relationship with the music industry as whole and wanting to avoid it.

I'm torn between jealousy and wanting to put a rocket up his go damn arse. :awesomeface:

Same!!! :lol:

8 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

This reminds me of the best line of one of my favorite GnR think pieces:   

Needlessly expensive, fatally overblown, and a clear product of self-destructive tunnel-vision, the video for “November Rain” already seemed laughably dated the first time MTV played it. It was as if Axl was dutifully following a checklist of things you didn’t want to see GNR involved with: opulent weddings, humungous orchestras, heavy-handed symbolism, Stephanie Seymour, and so on. Just five years earlier, GNR presented a much different image in the video for “Welcome To The Jungle,” which for me is the single most powerful thing the band ever did, even more powerful than Appetite as a whole. To this day, Guns N’ Roses as seen in the “Welcome To The Jungle” video is the only rock band to ever truly frighten me. Yes, it helped that I was only 10 at the time, but GNR was unnerving in a way that even the scariest of scary metal bands couldn’t touch. Metal bands were like slasher movies; GNR was like prison rape.

Exactly! ;)

9 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I have always much preferred the illusions to AFD

:smiley-confused2:

As a whole album, I prefer AFD, but there are some songs on the UYI:s that I love 

I love 14 years and D&B (Izzy singing them is not the least of the reasons) and obviously YCBM kicks ass. Estranged is very good alternative for NR, I even get some weird kicks from watching the video -Axl swimming with dolphins :P