Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

10 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

As a whole album, I prefer AFD, but there are some songs on the UYI:s that I love 

I love 14 years and D&B (Izzy singing them is not the least of the reasons) and obviously YCBM kicks ass. Estranged is very good alternative for NR, I even get some weird kicks from watching the video -Axl swimming with dolphins :P

Yeah, I pretty much know I'm out here all alone, an' drifting on my own when it comes to liking UYI best :) 

I kinda like the Breakdown - Estranged - Locamotive vibe best.

You forgot Pretty Tied Up, the best of the Izzy songs imo. 

I love UYI but they are completly dysfunctional, and only in parts lived upto my expectations, which given the circumstances in which they were recorded its not surprising. 

24 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

This reminds me of the best line of one of my favorite GnR think pieces:   

It's a great article, This sums up what I think of illusions

"But Use Your Illusion was the work of a band moving beyond its humble beginnings as heroin-scamming street scamps; soon the world would discover that “You Could Be Mine”—a lean, mean, and roaring rattlesnake shake in the vein of Appetite—had created a set of hard-rockin’ expectations that the albums, whatever their other merits, wouldn’t come close to living up to."

So around 2004, The Johnny Thunders gig, New York Dolls and VR, and in the same year Izzy puts his albums on ITunes, looks like he was really trying to work out what direction to go as a muscian? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I have always much preferred the illusions to AFD

:smiley-confused2:

Saaaaaame. You're definitely not alone lol.

UYI II is my favorite GNR album. I love or like everything on that album. (Well, nearly everything. I could do without YCBM, KOHD and Pretty Tied Up)

And after that... I don't know. I like 3 or 4 songs on Appetite, a couple of songs on CD and UYI I, and a few songs from the rest of their releases.

Funnily enough, the UYI albums were also the first GNR albums I bought when I was 14 years or so. Maybe buying them first leaves a lasting impression :P

13 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I know, I just wanted to make that clear because they were being mentioned and I don't want my previous comment (about being disappointed at certain people) to look as if it was directed at them because it wasn't. It was mainly because of a guy who tends to be one of the most reasonable on the D&N section and another guy who was pretty active in the Women's Thread until a while ago (if my memory serves) and was liking stupid complaints about it there.

Snort. People who like to appear "reasonable" in the D&N section can be pretty nasty and scheming behind the scenes. Or trolls. Or both. As in real life, appearances can be deceiving, I guess.

Anyway, @Archtop here's the full/original version of that picture you asked about. I don't remember ever seeing any other pictures from that night though (at least not with Izzy in them).

0ae90dd50d9ae3d65f9672d469ffbf26.jpg

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I don't know (and I'd like to know) who's been trying to get the Woman's Thread locked but I'm 100% sure it wasn't someone from here. We should never contribute to that nonsense.

I would have to say it in Spanish for you to get this advice "Nunca pongas las manos en el fuego por nadie. Jamás" ;)

These two threads seem to be pretty politcal about some things. Actually, most threads are political but I could handle you a list of names, lol.

Maybe you wouldn't be surprised but you'd be left wondering why.

8 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Anyway, @Archtop here's the full/original version of that picture you asked about. I don't remember ever seeing any other pictures from that night though (at least not with Izzy in them).

I dont think that's the london eye... Looks like the inside of a boat. :question:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Omg!  @Jane M., there I am!  Finally back in the picture!

:rofl-lol:

Re: the UYIs, obviously there are some killer songs on there - YCBM and 14 Years are two of my all time favorites.  But Appetite --- shoooooooo.  I was 12 years old when AFD broke big and had never seen any boys so bad nor had any music kick me in the face like that.  Just incredible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

I dont think that's the london eye... Looks like the inside of a boat. :question:

I think I remember seeing pics of Axl and Izzy on a boat on the Thames, heading to (or from) the show in London. I don't remember where I saw them though.

Just now, Kris_1989 said:

I was just going to say I've been on the London Eye and saw all the pods go past whilst waiting and none look like that, not even the private ones. Everything in the pods is in the middle. The windows are much bigger too, I only dared peep out once and spent the rest of the time petrified on it. 

11 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Saaaaaame. You're definitely not alone lol.

UYI II is my favorite GNR album. I love or like everything on that album. (Well, nearly everything. I could do without YCBM, KOHD and Pretty Tied Up)

And after that... I don't know. I like 3 or 4 songs on Appetite, a couple of songs on CD and UYI I, and a few songs from the rest of their releases.

Funnily enough, the UYI albums were also the first GNR albums I bought when I was 14 years or so. Maybe buying them first leaves a lasting impression :P

That must be the case :)  and I also love UYI 2 the most, I still play it all of the time. Even the art work from both albums is like a "comfort blanket" to me (I really have no other way of describing how I feel about it :lol:). 

15 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Saaaaaame.

Snort. People who like to appear "reasonable" in the D&N section can be pretty nasty and scheming behind the scenes. Or trolls. Or both. As in real life, appearances can be deceiving, I guess.

Ah Yes thank you, there is another one, which is how I came to the conclusion Timo was in the picture. 

You have to love Axl in that picture, he looks demented ? 

Yeh not sure it is the London eye, definantly not a bar otherwise why the drink stands? 

10 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

28 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I would have to say it in Spanish for you to get this advice "Nunca pongas las manos en el fuego por nadie. Jamás" ;)

These two threads seem to be pretty politcal about some things. Actually, most threads are political but I could handle you a list of names, lol.

Maybe you wouldn't be surprised but you'd be left wondering why.

I guess I tend to believe people are a lot nicer than they really are even though they remind me how wrong I am every 15 minutes. I hope I'll learn someday.

I'm not sure I wanna know the list anymore :nervous: :lol:

39 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

That pic gives me an awkward feeling but it's nice to see Axl and Izzy hanging out together :)

29 minutes ago, Archtop said:

ISo around 2004, The Johnny Thunders gig, New York Dolls and VR, and in the same year Izzy puts his albums on ITunes, looks like he was really trying to work out what direction to go as a muscian? 

He was also shopping around for a record deal around this time. Makes sense. He was in his early 40's which is a time of self reevaluation for a lot of people. He was also going through an extremely prolific period as an artist. Between 2005 and 2010 he would do six albums.  Six!  Unfortunately, since he'd last dealt with the business shit in 1998, the record industry as he knew it collapsed.  The internet opened it's giant maw and ate it. In order to be even a small time artist with a label you have to do lots of publicity, have a social media presence and tour. It's a lot of work. I love that he is willing to share his music with us in any way we can get it. I do wish more than anything that he would have done a few solo shows during that period. Or during this period. But if you don't have a label and management to help you than touring isn't really worth it.  

Mr. BeautifulandDamned says being an Izzy fan is what ghosthunting must feel like. You sit around waiting for minimum contact before he recedes into the mist again.

Image result for shadowy figure gif

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I guess I tend to believe people are a lot nicer than they really are even though they remind me how wrong I am every 15 minutes. I hope I'll learn someday.

I'm not sure I wanna know the list anymore :nervous: :lol:

That pic gives me an awkward feeling but it's nice to see Axl and Izzy hanging out together :)

Same here. It especially gives me an awkward feeling about Izzy. Don't know if it looks as if he feels awkward or he looks awkward or because these type of situations (luxury rock n roll lifestyle) seems to be so unlike the Izzy we "know". Or because his suit looks uncomfy, look how high the collar is. :lol:

It doesn't end to confuse me how the WT and the Wacky Thread could possibly irritate people so much. I mean, we're on a Guns n Roses message board, why are "we" so offensive - here?! As @killuridols said, it seems to be political, to me it is a man-woman kinda power game (maybe there's more to it, I simply can't tell, don't know this forum well enough). Maybe, @killuridols wants to elaborate on that? Maybe not, it's up to you, dear.

I am really grateful to all the mods involved who helped those two threads staying alive. If it wasn't for those two threads, I wouldn't be here. 

16 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

It doesn't end to confuse me how the WT and the Wacky Thread could possibly irritate people so much. I mean, we're on a Guns n Roses message board, why are "we" so offensive - here?! As @killuridols said, it seems to be political, to me it is a man-woman kinda power game (maybe there's more to it, I simply can't tell, don't know this forum well enough). Maybe, @killuridols wants to elaborate on that? Maybe not, it's up to you, dear.

I am really grateful to all the mods involved who helped those two threads staying alive. If it wasn't for those two threads, I wouldn't be here. 

Well you said it yourself, it's a power game, power play. In first instance, the reasons why men of this forum were so mad at it, has strictly to do with patriarchism and nothing else. Seeing women being empowered, being able to make a thread successful, draw attention, draw a lot of posters and talk about topics that made them uncomfortable was the "tick" in their balls that bothered them. Just like in real life they are bothered that we are productive, that we have jobs, that we produce more than them, that we are independent, drive cars and invade their spaces. Losing battlefields is not something people see with good eyes, also losing power... that's why it was hated and still is, to an extent.... :shrugs:

As for the women who never supported the thread and still don't do it, it is also related to the same kind of patriarchal way of thought they've been raised with. Most women who don't support it are people in their 50's or women who think of Axl Rose as some sort of god that has done no wrong and should not be held subject of any criticism, even when the guy has hurt women in the same way those same women have been hurt before, by unknown men who do not hold the power of being a famous singer. There are other people mad at the threads because they think we should strictly talk about the music and the musicians, not the private life of them and somehow they deem those topics as "less intellectual" and invasive, rather than informative and interesting :rolleyes:

There may be a lot more other reasons involved like jealousy, different opinions, inability to carry on with heated debates without taking it personal, lack of education and/or energy to be able to discuss certain matters, not the persons and sometimes it's just something called "feeling", lol. But all in all, I think power and domination have played a big role here and that's why I resume it as "political".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

He was also shopping around for a record deal around this time. Makes sense. He was in his early 40's which is a time of self reevaluation for a lot of people. He was also going through an extremely prolific period as an artist. Between 2005 and 2010 he would do six albums.  Six!  Unfortunately, since he'd last dealt with the business shit in 1998, the record industry as he knew it collapsed.  The internet opened it's giant maw and ate it. In order to be even a small time artist with a label you have to do lots of publicity, have a social media presence and tour. It's a lot of work. I love that he is willing to share his music with us in any way we can get it. I do wish more than anything that he would have done a few solo shows during that period. Or during this period. But if you don't have a label and management to help you than touring isn't really worth it.  

Mr. BeautifulandDamned says being an Izzy fan is what ghosthunting must feel like. You sit around waiting for minimum contact before he recedes into the mist again.

Image result for shadowy figure gif

That still doesn't explain why he doesn't do a one off show in LA every once in a blue moon. :smiley-confused2:

Just now, Darkenchantress said:

I don't give a fuck if people find this thread annoying. We got a "thank you shout out" from the man himself and, as far as I know, we've been the only ones. :hahafyou:

He thanked the forum as a whole, not this thread. There's no way to know for sure if he's seen this thread and that was months ago. I seriously doubt he'd approve of some of the talk that's gone on in here since then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archtop said:

I love UYI but they are completly dysfunctional, and only in parts lived upto my expectations, which given the circumstances in which they were recorded its not surprising. 

Speaking of circumstances.. what do you think of Steven's drumming on Civil War? If don't remember totally wrong, it was the last song he ever played on?

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I was just going to say I've been on the London Eye and saw all the pods go past whilst waiting and none look like that, not even the private ones. Everything in the pods is in the middle. The windows are much bigger too, I only dared peep out once and spent the rest of the time petrified on it. 

PrivateCapsule.jpg

Looks a lot different than the pic with Axl and Izzy inside the boat... 

52 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

I follow (and post on) some threads on the D&N section: official/unofficial media, NITLT -tour threads (not all, but some of them) and what ever interesting might come along.  Is bitching about Axl's voice or setlists on tour threads more intellectual/meaningful or entertaining than things that are posted here (or on the WT) ? I don't think so. Obviously they are talking about the music, but still...

but hey... we just talked about music... we can do it too :thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

That still doesn't explain why he doesn't do a one off show in LA every once in a blue moon. :smiley-confused2:

If Izzy would do that, you would have to go see the show. So at least one of us could see him.  

Edited by Fourteenbeers

2 minutes ago, Darkenchantress said:

And about the other issue, I'm an AFD girl myself. The first time I saw the November Rain video I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I had seen since Duff carried a tray for no reason to the reception desk in Patience:facepalm:

LMFAO :rofl-lol:

17 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Well you said it yourself, it's a power game, power play. In first instance, the reasons why men of this forum were so mad at it, has strictly to do with patriarchism and nothing else. Seeing women being empowered, being able to make a thread successful, draw attention, draw a lot of posters and talk about topics that made them uncomfortable was the "tick" in their balls that bothered them. Just like in real life they are bothered that we are productive, that we have jobs, that we produce more than them, that we are independent, drive cars and invade their spaces. Losing battlefields is not something people see with good eyes, also losing power... that's why it was hated and still is, to an extent.... :shrugs:

As for the women who never supported the thread and still don't do it, it is also related to the same kind of patriarchal way of thought they've been raised with. Most women who don't support it are people in their 50's or women who think of Axl Rose as some sort of god that has done no wrong and should not be held subject of any criticism, even when the guy has hurt women in the same way those same women have been hurt before, by unknown men who do not hold the power of being a famous singer. There are other people mad at the threads because they think we should strictly talk about the music and the musicians, not the private life of them and somehow they deem those topics as "less intellectual" and invasive, rather than informative and interesting :rolleyes:

There may be a lot more other reasons involved like jealousy, different opinions, inability to carry on with heated debates without taking it personal, lack of education and/or energy to be able to discuss certain matters, not the persons and sometimes it's just something called "feeling", lol. But all in all, I think power and domination have played a big role here and that's why I resume it as "political".

Thanks for that. Exctly as I thought it would be. 

• Like 1