the obsession with the need to "reinvent" themselves

action

2 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Sure but that was a major cause of his split with Slash yes? The key word in your post are " his musical vision"..........In any band there has to be give and take and if one members "vision" of what the music should be differs drastically from the rest of the band there is always the solo album option which would allow Axl to pursue his desire to experiment while still producing a GNR album which is a band effort............

But there wasn't no give and take between Axl and Slash. Axl rejected Slash's Snakepit material as a whole, then changed his mind and wanted to use and work on a few Snakepit ideas.

Slash, according to Axl played him the Fall To Pieces ideas, Axl loved it, and Slash said no, sweet riff o'mine.

So the only give and take was Slash and Paul Huge exchanging hateful leads on a cover.

Slash proved he doesn't have a defined musical vision for albums and is not a songwriter really. Axl has proved he does know what loops a Guns album must crawl through in order not to be dated and disposable.

Slash could have done whatever Axl wanted to do musically even if he hated it, just showing Axl he'll give it as many attempts as possible, no matter what crazy musical direction Axl wanted to pursue. (like he said in his book)

But he didn't even want to give Axl the Fall To Pieces ideas.

Axl turned Gn'R to his Guns influenced solo project.

Edited by Rovim

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

But there wasn't no give and take between Axl and Slash. Axl rejected Slash's Snakepit material as a whole, then changed his mind and wanted to use and work on a few Snakepit ideas.

Slash, according to Axl played him the Fall To Pieces ideas, Axl loved it, and Slash said no, sweet riff o'mine.

So the only give and take was Slash and Paul Huge exchanging hateful leads on a cover.

Slash proved he doesn't have a defined musical vision for albums and is not a songwriter really. Axl has proved he does know what loops a Guns album must crawl through in order not to be dated and disposable.

Slash could have done whatever Axl wanted to do musically even if he hated it, just showing Axl he'll give it as many attempts as possible, no matter what crazy musical direction Axl wanted to pursue. (like he said in his book)

But he didn't even want to give Axl the Fall To Pieces ideas.

Axl turned Gn'R to his Guns influenced solo project.

Some good points but do you think either Slash or Axl are any more flexible regarding their musical vision then they were back in the day? Based on his solo stuff Slash is pretty much old Guns and if Axl still wants to pursue the ChiDem type of music I am curious if they can compromise to make music together?.........If Mick Wall is to be believed they are planning on new music but I will believe it when I am holding a new GnR double vinyl LP in my hands

On 29.11.2016 at 11:10 PM, classicrawker said:

Some good points but do you think either Slash or Axl are any more flexible regarding their musical vision then they were back in the day? Based on his solo stuff Slash is pretty much old Guns and if Axl still wants to pursue the ChiDem type of music I am curious if they can compromise to make music together?.........If Mick Wall is to be believed they are planning on new music but I will believe it when I am holding a new GnR double vinyl LP in my hands

I don't know if what Mick Wall said about this is true. Other then that, I believe they are older now, with the realization they are just better together as a money making machine and the incentive is there for Slash cause of his ex whore and he wanted to be back in Guns in 2010 when Duff played full shows by the look of it. but also just I look at these points to have a general idea:

Slash and Duff learned the Chinese tunes by choice, and they've been playing it live making it sound good, a lot more Gn'R.

Axl played them CD ll and/or vault stuff possibly, and they like it according to Axl.

There is probably a lot of material in the vault, Slash and Duff back after 25 years of not playing on a Guns album of original material.

I believe they truly want it to work, make as much money as possible for as many years they're able to do it, and Axl's goal is to again deliver a musical statement using CD ll material and maybe new tunes that he'll write starting from lyrics and melodies.

There is less ego bullshit, Slash and Duff are not going to rush things, Axl is still Axl but seems very happy Slash and Duff are back in Guns and not just cause of the fortune they're making. You can kinda tell Axl wouldn't be able to resist injecting Slash and Duff into his next Guns album. He just loves Slash's playing too much and it's stupid to not use that big of a Guns element, and Slash's sound.

Even when he still hated Slash, he wanted to use his talent for a few tunes on Chinese in 2001.

Edited by Rovim

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it is reinventing as much as evolving; if you are just bashing out the same shit record after record, your and your fans will eventually be turned off. Axl's musical crisis happened after GN'R had evolved and seemed to be a time of experimentation rather than reinvention.

Maybe it is my own negative association with the word in this context; it seems like a double shot of desperation gulped down by fame hungry faded stars in the last chance saloon of pop culture when that word is uttered.

What was it called when Bowie went through his various stages of musical schizophrenia? It that is widely regarded as reinventing yourself then I am way off the mark....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

What was it called when Bowie went through his various stages of musical schizophrenia? It that is widely regarded as reinventing yourself then I am way off the mark....

he was the first person i thought of when i saw this topic but you said it better than i ever could :)

• Like 1