DJ Ashba 'If Slash Is Back There Is No Reason I Need To Be There'

Funky.Monkey

5 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

There is zero, and I mean ZERO reason why Axl would want DJ on board.

Scenario A- DJ leaves on his own and that silly letter he wrote ends up being the truth. Axl then calls Slash up to be in the band, after that, Axl... calls DJ asking him to come back?

Scenario B- Axl calls Slash out of nowhere to rejoin Guns N' Roses. DJ decides to leave because of this and writes that letter for no reason instead of just keeping quiet.

In either scenario we can assume Richard is still in the picture. What the fuck would DJ do on stage? It also seems Izzy was in early talks. If he was on board that means there was potentially 4 guitar players on stage. No way.

I just don't see it. DJ says stupid things all the time in interviews, is this really that different?

I think there was zero reason to hire him in the first place, yet Axl did it without having him audiotioning.

Also, he didn't really seem interested in having Izzy back. He said in an interview that if there was a reunion, only Slash and Duff would make it. I think Steven got to be part of it because Slash wanted him involved and because Steven was willing to accept any shitty offer, unlike Izzy.

I agree about Dj saying stupid things all the time, but this would be blatantly lying and Axl wouldn't forgive him and he knows it.

• Like 2

I just think you guys are holding Axl's opinion on DJ in too high of a regard. Who cares if DJ is lying? Only nerds like us talk about it, I doubt Axl cares.

Its true, I don't know what happened, maybe Axl did want him. I just personally do not believe it. DJ has lied and exaggerated in interviews all the time, I don't see this as very different.

5 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

I do think Axl liked DJ Ashba and he's not gonna just fire a loyal member and a friend just like that, so he probably asked if DJ wants to be a part of it all. It was probably a relief for Axl that DJ decided to quit for himself though.

I believe Axl asked pitman the same thing... but pitman wouldn't give up lol

57 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Scenario A- DJ leaves on his own and that silly letter he wrote ends up being the truth. Axl then calls Slash up to be in the band, after that, Axl... calls DJ asking him to come back?

Scenario B- Axl calls Slash out of nowhere to rejoin Guns N' Roses. DJ decides to leave because of this and writes that letter for no reason instead of just keeping quiet.

In either scenario we can assume Richard is still in the picture. What the fuck would DJ do on stage? It also seems Izzy was in early talks. If he was on board that means there was potentially 4 guitar players on stage. No way.

I just don't see it. DJ says stupid things all the time in interviews, is this really that different?

Well to respond.. scenario A: Dj probably knew when he wrote the letter. It's not like anyone would confirm the reunion. The whole "Izzy was in talks" was clearly only for guest spots, not a full time gig. That's what Izzy wanted but Axl probably didn't. I think Duff helped Axl and Slash work things out and All Axl knew was he needed another lead guitar player so, who else could they really hire other than slash? 

Scenario B: No chance he called Slash out of nowhere. Slash signed off on the DVD a year before that. Del James tweeted and tagged slash in the beginning of the year. Pretty clear it was in the works for awhile. What would he do on stage? Easy, share the oddball lead in night train or jam like slash does with fortus. Axl doesn't think like the rest of us, he saw this as slash and duff rejoining his band. Rejoining the team,  he said so himself. Slash and duff worked with frank and Richard, frank and Richard didn't do things slash and duffs way. 

You might be right but all I'm saying is, I just refuse to believe that Axl had any intention of kicking dj to the curb. They got along too well and were too close. I think Axl definitely wanted Dj to stay. I think Dj just thought rationally about it whereas Axl wouldn't and realized it was going to be too difficult to work things out.  Dj may say things to look cool but, Axls always had a wild eyed vision for making gnr bigger than they have to be. Buckethead didn't need Robin but Axl let Robin back in anyways. Not like they need two keyboards either. 

And I get that Dj is easily hateable but that doesn't necessarily make him a liar here..

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Well to respond.. scenario A: Dj probably knew when he wrote the letter. It's not like anyone would confirm the reunion. The whole "Izzy was in talks" was clearly only for guest spots, not a full time gig. That's what Izzy wanted but Axl probably didn't. I think Duff helped Axl and Slash work things out and All Axl knew was he needed another lead guitar player so, who else could they really hire other than slash? 

Scenario B: No chance he called Slash out of nowhere. Slash signed off on the DVD a year before that. Del James tweeted and tagged slash in the beginning of the year. Pretty clear it was in the works for awhile. What would he do on stage? Easy, share the oddball lead in night train or jam like slash does with fortus. Axl doesn't think like the rest of us, he saw this as slash and duff rejoining his band. Rejoining the team,  he said so himself. Slash and duff worked with frank and Richard, frank and Richard didn't do things slash and duffs way. 

You might be right but all I'm saying is, I just refuse to believe that Axl had any intention of kicking dj to the curb. They got along too well and were too close. I think Axl definitely wanted Dj to stay. I think Dj just thought rationally about it whereas Axl wouldn't and realized it was going to be too difficult to work things out.  Dj may say things to look cool but, Axls always had a wild eyed vision for making gnr bigger than they have to be. Buckethead didn't need Robin but Axl let Robin back in anyways. Not like they need two keyboards 

He could have hired any other no name or B rate named guitar player to take over for Ron and DJ. No one outside of the core fanbase of the band would care. For most fans, Axl was all that mattered in NuGNR. However, I don't think he called Slash completely out of nowhere. As far as I see it, NuGNR imploded with 3 players jumping ship. Since his relationship with Slash improved, he probably caved in and warmed up to the idea of asking Slash to rejoin Guns N' Roses. GNR was also a diminishing brand in 2014, but he could have kept things going at that same rate. 

At the same time, Axl himself has referred to this as the "reunion", even he knows this is more than just Slash and Duff joining NuGNR. I am sure none of them knew how long this would go on for or how things would go down in April. Luckily, they keep adding dates and I don't think that is a coincidence.

Frank and Richard are absolutely doing things Slash and Duff's way. All of solos are pretty much Slash's now. Even most of the Chinese ones. Frank is even playing the songs more like the studio versions. They seem to all get along great, but it is silly to assume Slash and Duff are just on the same level as players like Frank, Richard, Melissa, and Dizzy. Its clear from the marketing the big 3 are "Guns N' Roses" and that is how it should be. I am very satisfied with this lineup, and think everyone is pulling their weight, but I have no delusions on who the core band is. Axl may still be calling the shots to an extent, but the nature of the band changed from 2001-2014. I would compare Richard, Dizzy, etc to players like Bobby Keys, Lisa Fisher, Darryl Jones, etc in the Rolling Stones, they just get the cool band member title in GNR.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Could be loyalty. I believe Axl wasn't going to kick DJ out just cause Slash was gonna return.

I can see a situation where Axl would have continued with the 3 guitar players set up, or at least attempted to do it. Don't see how it would have worked and I think DJ didn't either.

I'm guessing DJ would have stayed if Slash did not return.

I agree with Russ though, these recent Ashba interviews regarding Gn'R is clearly an attempt to advertise his shitty music and products, keeping his name on the public radar. He's so classless. Shut the fuck up about Gn'R already if you're so happy with your sixx am shit band.

Edited by Rovim

I believe Ashba. Firstly, Fortus, and Frank are still there. Secondly, Axl has continued the two keyboardist policy, despite Pitman being axed, hasn't he? I see no reason why Axl would have not wanted to continue the three guitar thing. Axl, since Dizzy's inclusion back in 1990 really, has had this eccentric notion of adding superfluous musicians to Guns - he certainly is not an advocate of the streamlined (i.e. Appetite) rock n' roll set up. What Ashba says rings true.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I agree with Russ though, these recent Ashba interviews regarding Gn'R is clearly an attempt to advertise his shitty music and products, keeping his name on the public radar. He's so classless. Shut the fuck up about Gn'R already if you're so happy with your sixx am shit band.

He was asked about the GN'R reunion more than once in this interview.  He answered. The reunion is much more interesting than what Sixx:A.M. is doing right now. 

Axl and DJ seemed to have a good relationship so it would be odd if he was lying. we all know how Axl is about people telling lies about him, hell even giving a different version of events then he remembers. he'd pretty much be trashing that relationship over a little boasting that he couldve been apart of it.

Edited by -W.A.R-

9 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I dont believe for a second Axl wanted DJ in the band with Slash

DJ, Ron, and Tommy left and that lead to the reunion. It makes the most sense

We are talking about Axl. So I'm open to the possibility that he asked DJ to stay or at least he asked DJ to be a guest from time to time. I think we owe Nikki Sixx a big than you by keeping Sixx A.M. alive and take care of us :lol:

Ron and Tommy left because they didn't see a bright future in NuGN'R with no new album on the horizon and only Vegas and South American shows. I don't think Axl knew what he wanted to do until the Coachella people (and maybe Duff) persuaded him that they only thing left to do was a reunion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, downzy said:

I'm starting to think we should move these weekly topics into a mega "Stupid Shit DJ Said" thread.  

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I'm just going to move this to The Jungle. It's not really directly related to GN'R.

Yes it is.  He's talking about Slash and Axl, why he left GN'R, and the current tour.

I agree Ashba is a wierdo and does crazy things, but still I don't get why he gets so much hate.

He did the right thing by stepping away, he was the smart one, he earned good money by playing covers, did good investments, then when he saw musically the band is not moving forward at all and when the main guy Slash is back, so he just left like how any fan would.

Axl's solo band basically ended in Vegas, all of them just kinda left, Ron did give them a notice and left, but Tommy and Ashba had not officially left. 

Tommy also said if he gets the call, he will be there, but Tommy never got the call cause Axl wanted to work with Duff and obviously he din't want 2 bass players.

And as we know Axl's history, he seems to be interested in keeping 3 guitarists, so he would have told Ashba to stay. 

14 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

He could have hired any other no name or B rate named guitar player to take over for Ron and DJ. No one outside of the core fanbase of the band would care. For most fans, Axl was all that mattered in NuGNR. However, I don't think he called Slash completely out of nowhere. As far as I see it, NuGNR imploded with 3 players jumping ship. Since his relationship with Slash improved, he probably caved in and warmed up to the idea of asking Slash to rejoin Guns N' Roses. GNR was also a diminishing brand in 2014, but he could have kept things going at that same rate. 

At the same time, Axl himself has referred to this as the "reunion", even he knows this is more than just Slash and Duff joining NuGNR. I am sure none of them knew how long this would go on for or how things would go down in April. Luckily, they keep adding dates and I don't think that is a coincidence.

Frank and Richard are absolutely doing things Slash and Duff's way. All of solos are pretty much Slash's now. Even most of the Chinese ones. Frank is even playing the songs more like the studio versions. They seem to all get along great, but it is silly to assume Slash and Duff are just on the same level as players like Frank, Richard, Melissa, and Dizzy. Its clear from the marketing the big 3 are "Guns N' Roses" and that is how it should be. I am very satisfied with this lineup, and think everyone is pulling their weight, but I have no delusions on who the core band is. Axl may still be calling the shots to an extent, but the nature of the band changed from 2001-2014. I would compare Richard, Dizzy, etc to players like Bobby Keys, Lisa Fisher, Darryl Jones, etc in the Rolling Stones, they just get the cool band member title in GNR.

Well Axl said himself in his two interviews that duff and slash worked with frank and Richard to play the songs the way that they did. And I mean last I heard Richard was still getting his own solos so... I mean Axl isn't going to deny that it's a reunion for himself Slash and Duff but, it's not like they ditched the Chinese era material. They didn't even ditch the last lineup. You just said it yourself- you see three guys leaving and being replaced by slash and duff. It's not like the set lists have even drastically changed other than throwing double talkin and coma into the set lists. 

Dj Ashba was pro gnr everything in 2015 until July when he announced his resignation completely out of the blue. He didn't just wake up one day and say "screw it I'm out". Some conversation somewhere brought him to that conclusion, and it's pretty clear that discussing slashs return and probably a new pay structure put him over in that regard. And he knew motley was retiring anyways so it made it easy to help keep the threeunion a secret. Sure they're mareketing this as the big 3... why should Axl care? At this point he would obviously prefer sold out stadiums vs half empty arenas since he's getting paid more.    We knew bumblefoot was out in 2014, we knew Stinson wasn't coming back. Dj suddenly is pro Axl pro gnr hey we're about to put it some unreal shit then all of a sudden e just decides to quit?!? Yeah... The conversation with Axl clearly shaped what he was going to do. 2 and 2 equals 4.

3 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Well Axl said himself in his two interviews that duff and slash worked with frank and Richard to play the songs the way that they did. And I mean last I heard Richard was still getting his own solos so... I mean Axl isn't going to deny that it's a reunion for himself Slash and Duff but, it's not like they ditched the Chinese era material. They didn't even ditch the last lineup. You just said it yourself- you see three guys leaving and being replaced by slash and duff. It's not like the set lists have even drastically changed other than throwing double talkin and coma into the set lists. 

He didn't say the part in bold. There are things that are done Slash's way. For example, if I'm not mistaken, the long RQ jam with the talk box is a Slash thing.

I honestly don't see the big kafuffle about this.

Axl has made some strange decisions in the past, it's not such a stretch to believe he asked DJ to hang around...

I mean... take the Melissa Situation.. Why is she there? What does she bring to guns n roses exactly? Why is there a second keyboardist? What does she do that Dizzy doesn't do? Other than the emo look to possibly make the band look more modern in keeping with today's youth etc  (which is a crock anyway if that's what shes there for? )

The point i am making is, the possibility that Axl wanted to go back out with 3 guitarists isn't a stretch.. not by a long shot.

And as for all the people ripping on DJ, at least he had the good grace to step aside for the fans, he knew what they wanted and he didnt cock block that in any way.. which is more than can be said for other members who are still there regardless of the outside issues with steven, matt and izzy.