DJ Ashba 'If Slash Is Back There Is No Reason I Need To Be There'

Funky.Monkey

Willy Tyler of Billings MT 96.3 The Zone recently conducted an interview with DJ Ashba.  I've transcribed some of the interview below:

Willy Tyler: You just kind of recently walked away from Guns N' Roses. That's gotta take a lot to walk away from GN'R?

DJ Ashba: Ha ha it does. Yeah man I had a blast man, I think over six years I don't know, around 6 years. Well over 300 shows with them. We had a lot of fun, there were a lot of laughs a lot of good times. It gets to a point where you start loosing yourself, or at least I do. I never got into the music business or started playing music for money so at some point you start going...wait a second. You know playing other people's songs, is really cool and it's fun especially if you were very inspired growing up as a kid to these songs. But after a while you -- I remember we did a modern vintage tour, it was like 19 shows -- the difference between playing stuff that you write and the notes that you hit that come from your heart, when you see them connect with the crowd. I can't tell you, there is no amount of money can buy that feeling. It just came down to following my heart. Getting myself back on track to where I knew I was suppose to be.

Willy Tyler: I kind of wondered when you were the touring guitarist during the Chinese Democracy, I don't know how many guitarists Axl had on that album. But you had to have been having to swing like 5 different styles?

DJ Ashba: Yeah, again, I'm happy I did it because it was an experience of a lifetime. I believe it really did make me a better guitar player. But it was tough. I'm not great at playing other people's styles. You know it really made me, I was playing quite a few different peoples styles. One song I'd be soloing to a Buckethead solo, the next one would be a Robin Finck solo. The next one would be Slash. It was tough because they all three have such different styles from each other. And there are three guitar players in the band. I wasn't used to so, you played 5 majors of a solo then the next guy would take off -- it was really broken up and was very unnatural feeling, you know, to play this stuff. At the same time it was an incredible challenge, I'm glad I did it.

Have you gone to see GN'R with Slash reunited yet?

DJ Ashba: I haven't, I can't wait I'd love to see it you know. I remember before the whole thing went down before it was public, Axl personally called me and really wanted me to a part of it. My whole thing was, you know, if he's coming back, that's his deal man. I couldn't be happier as a fan, I get the best of best worlds. Playing in the band I love and I get half of the band I used to love back which is kind of a win win. If Slash is back there is no reason I need to be there. I was just there trying to keep the music alive.

• Like 2

I think it'd be too risky for him to lie about this but if I was Axl, I wouldn't want him to be so insistant with repeating this shit in every interview.

It makes him look bad and crazy.

Too bad no interviewer ever asks him the reason why Axl wanted him to be part of it. :facepalm:

Axl is very loyal. He didn't want to dump DJ Ashba like a dirty shirt, and as much as I detest Ashba I commend Axl for being courteous and loyal...even if that is questionable decision.

Can we stop hearing GN'R related stuff from this hack now? He's just repeating the same shit every interview...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I demand to know why Axl wanted Ashba to be part of the reunion................... I just can't.... :question:

I do think Axl liked DJ Ashba and he's not gonna just fire a loyal member and a friend just like that, so he probably asked if DJ wants to be a part of it all. It was probably a relief for Axl that DJ decided to quit for himself though.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lies They Tell said:

I do think Axl liked DJ Ashba and he's not gonna just fire a loyal member and a friend just like that, so he probably asked if DJ wants to be a part of it all. It was probably a relief for Axl that DJ decided to quit for himself though.

and what if he had not quit?? :question:

Was Axl willing to lose the opportunity to relive the dead body of Guns N' Roses just because of some "loyalty"?

hmmm

i think Axl asked that knowing he would say no....would have been awkward if he said he'd do it :lol: 

if you read any of these interviews its clear Ashba wanted out of GNR for some time. he'll frame it as he "stepped away for slash" but he wasn't happy with never putting out any music and touring playing stuff he had no part in. not to mention the fans loathing him and always shitting on him. Slash coming back was the greatest thing for him and us                                 

Edited by -W.A.R-

Axl wanted DJ back like an ex that dumps you says "hey let's still be friends and get together again..."  When you know damn well she has zero plans to speak to you again.   LOL. Imagine Slash dominating Estranged and DJ out center stage cuffing his ear and shit.  

Edited by Original
  • Like 1

Gee there is some bitter people on here.

Im not fan of Ashba, far from it.......but fuck me... if hes doing an interview and someone asks him a question, hes entitled to answer it. Some of you carry on like hes playing at something. Why cant you just accept the fucking answer as its given? There doesnt have to be a conspiracy theory for every fucking thing that happens.

As i see it, Axl and Slash started to mend fences, Axl says.. Hey Dj, slash is coming back, id like you to still be a part of it, Dj says, nah man.. hes back, and ive got sixx am.. its all good.

what is so fucking hard to believe about any of that? He was loyal to Axl and Axl appreciated it.. not much more to it than that, and until someone from the band says otherwise.. take it as face value that the story is true.

• Like 2

I honestly think it's pretty dilusional to call Dj a liar on this. He was one of the very few employees who actually seemed to develop a close relationship with Axl, it would be completely absurd to ruin that friendship for lying in some silly interview like this. He decided to leave, he doesn't need to make up stories to save face.

Also, do you really find it surprising that Axl wanted to keep him? He kept Frank Ferrer when Steven fn' Adler was available!! He kept Richard Fortus when Izzy was actually open to the idea of coming back.

I believe Dj and I thank him for doing the right thing, it would have sucked seeing him in GNR.

There is zero, and I mean ZERO reason why Axl would want DJ on board.

Scenario A- DJ leaves on his own and that silly letter he wrote ends up being the truth. Axl then calls Slash up to be in the band, after that, Axl... calls DJ asking him to come back?

Scenario B- Axl calls Slash out of nowhere to rejoin Guns N' Roses. DJ decides to leave because of this and writes that letter for no reason instead of just keeping quiet.

In either scenario we can assume Richard is still in the picture. What the fuck would DJ do on stage? It also seems Izzy was in early talks. If he was on board that means there was potentially 4 guitar players on stage. No way.

I just don't see it. DJ says stupid things all the time in interviews, is this really that different?

• Like 1