a program to extract vocal tracks from FLAC

whatashame

I know of Audacity, which is a program to create instrumental tracks from FLAC studio versions.
Too bad but when it removes vocal tracks, you can't listen to the isolated version of them.

Since I am so interested in acapella versions of songs, I was kinda hoping to get a hold of a program that would let me mute music and listen to vocal tracks only.

Any help on that?

I don't think there's a clean way without multitracks. You can isolate certain frequencies to favour the vocals (the opposite of which is basically how Audacity creates the "instrumental" versions), but unless the vocals are mixed entirely by themselves in the right or left channel there won't be a way to get them by themselves without enormous bleed from the other tracks.

• Like 1

Forgot about this thread. My bad!

I searched up if Audacity has a built in Equalizer, which they do, and came across this video. That's the gist of how to use it. Typically, the vocals of a track can range from anywhere as low as 82 Hz to over 1000 Hz. Basically you'll want to move that graph line around until you find the sweet spot of the vocal performance (which will vary depending upon the song, singer, mix, etc...) and then the vocal itself will stand out more so than the instruments. 

That's as close as you'll probably get! You could also try the Noise Reducer but that'll probably make it sound even more like ass.

• Like 1

Audacity also has the "Vocal Reduction and Isolation..." tool at the very bottom of the "effects" tab. Its not perfect, but its decent. i usually use it to remove the center to hear to hear what Izzy is playing on the UYI tracks (because hes so low in the mix), but if you use the "Isolate Center" option, its also useful if you want to simply hear the singer more clearly, or hear the bass track more (or whatever else may be panned in the center, like a guitar solo). Its not very good at actually isolating the vocals, but its good at isolating whats center panned, and removing the center. Also cool to use with live stereo audio.

Works best on lossless/uncompressed files, but it also works with compressed files too.

Heres an example using the "Isolate Center", "Isolate Vocals", and "Remove Center" options (in no particular order).

Edited by Mendez