Guns N' Roses: The Making of Live Era 87-93

Idk but honestly it's been my motivation to doing cardio at the gym. I'll do a half n hour on the bike and another on a treadmill and I can play that album everyday, and it never gets old. I'm always motivated and tend to finish my workouts when I listen to gnr. 

I typically always have to listen to nightrain for mcbob, it's so easy and jungle at the very least though. Helps me mentally picture the original 5 on stage on what they would look and sound like. 

• Like 1

I like the album a lot however it is very flawed.  First off, the mastering is horrible and there is clipping everywhere.  Secondly, even though Axl sounds great with his late 90's voice I wonder why they couldn't have just picked performances that were decent enough vocally to not have any re-recording done. They recorded every show so I don't see why not

I also would have loved more Steven-era performances. From the top of my head the only songs featured from that era were OTGM, You're Crazy, and UTLH.  Why not include a better version of Jungle from 1987-1988? Same with Nightrain, My Michelle, Brownstone, etc.

And there is also a lot of recordings that were taken and edited from the Tokyo show that is on DVD.  

Edited by WhazUp

1 hour ago, PhillyRose said:

Is it just accepted that the vocals were re-recorded? I've never noticed on my own. Is there actual proof?

It's pretty obvious if you compare the Live Era version of for example My Michelle with the actual version that was recorded in Wembley 1991. 

Axl voice is also vastly different on the re-recorded sections then on the not re-recorded ones, he's got the more clean CD voice on the re-recordings and the early 90s rasp on the actual recordings.

Edited by youngswedishvinyl

18 hours ago, EvH said:

Instrumentally superb but remember the vocals have been re recorded in the studio.

I think the vocals on Estranged are actually the original 1991. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think all the vocals were redone for Live Era. A track by track listing of what was done would be handy though. 

14 hours ago, sidman69 said:

wish i could play it at parties, wife always puts on belle and sebastian or pop music, no GNR for friends...

have you tried this?

maybe wife lets you play this (actual live and somewhat easy-listening) gnr music at your next party

if she still doesnt let you you should definetely try this

and if she still doesnt let you

you can always try divorce hahahaha

2 hours ago, Ric Nightingale said:

I think the vocals on Estranged are actually the original 1991. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think all the vocals were redone for Live Era. A track by track listing of what was done would be handy though. 

i find the 1987-1991 SDB bootlegs to be very handy whenever i think about listening to live GNR

they never ever let me down

3 hours ago, PhillyRose said:

Is it just accepted that the vocals were re-recorded? I've never noticed on my own. Is there actual proof?

you could use listening to some gnr boots for some gnr live music enjoyment

there is a risk though

you might not wanna go back to fake-era after listening to the boot-goodies

4 hours ago, Ric Nightingale said:

They have been redone. Estranged was taken from one of the 1992 Tokyo Dome concerts. You can hear the original vocals on the Vhs/LD/DVD release. No instrumental overdubs, though.

It's true that not all vocals were redone on the album. I'm pretty sure such a list has been compiled considering that we have discussed this album countless times before...

Edited by EvH
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i find the 1987-1991 SDB bootlegs to be very handy whenever i think about listening to live GNR

they never ever let me down

you could use listening to some gnr boots for some gnr live music enjoyment

there is a risk though

you might not wanna go back to fake-era after listening to the boot-goodies

I usually only listen to live, whatever I can find on Youtube (which has quite the selection)

On 12/1/2016 at 8:03 PM, NicDwolfwood said:

Its a hit and miss live album. The fact alot of the vocals were re-recorded and its obvious is a drawback. 

but there are good versions of songs on there. Crazy, Estranged, Dust N Bones, KOHD, and RQ are some of my personal favorites. 

The only rerecorded song I like this is You Could Be Mine. I personally think e sounds great on the rerecorded part.

10 hours ago, PhillyRose said:

I usually only listen to live, whatever I can find on Youtube (which has quite the selection)

i suggest you to get some original silver disk CDs, the quality is like 18 times better than on youtube!

10 hours ago, Chris 55 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: that is the WORST camera angle ever

yes it is.

the worst camera angle for the best acoustic live set ever recorded on the history of mankind

18 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

My favorite part is the Axl "not to be an asshole" rant. Always have been surprised Axl allowed that to be on there. Where/ when was that from again? I saw it debated somewhere in here before.

its likely fake and recorded on studio

22 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Awful. Pro-tooled wretched mess of an album. The only good thing is 'Dust N' Bones' and the front cover, with the flyers. The ironic thing is they could have just plonked any random show on two discs with no re-recording and it would have been vastly superior.

I have never understood the re-recorded vocals; surely out of 200 odd shows, all recorded from the desk, there must have been some good vocals takes of the tracks on these discs?

For my money, a properly mixed version of the Paris 1992 show would have summed up the GN'R live experience and would have made a great live album. Granted, it does not reflect the appetite days, but neither does this frankenstien semi live effort.

10 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I have never understood the re-recorded vocals; surely out of 200 odd shows, all recorded from the desk, there must have been some good vocals takes of the tracks on these discs?

I think the fact that they used so many songs from the Tokyo DVD's shows they had no interest in actually mining out the best versions of songs, more like a "here's 10 good concerts, let's make a live album out of them" mentality. Maybe Axl re-did the vocals so the cleaner tone wouldn't be as shocking when he made his comeback? (Nightrain, My Michelle etc. are 100% CD-era Axl). Who knows though.

I like a majority of the album, but I can't listen to certain songs because they just piss me off... Estranged for example, it's the same version from Tokyo but with new vocals pasted on top. Which would be fine if I hadn't already grown to like the Tokyo version before I heard the Live Era version. Now whenever I hear it I just think of how much better the DVD version is.

On December 1, 2016 at 3:33 PM, PhillyRose said:

They sound pretty obvious on Mr. Brownstone.

Yeah it has been said by members or Engineers or Del James that some of the vocals were re recoded. 

Even some of the instruments were Polished/Added.