OMG. Just listened to YOU'RE Crazy live....it's The Seeker...wow.

The first coords of You're Crazy live version are the Seeker.  That's it, folks.  They play Seeker because  it inspired "You're Crazy".

Fucking awesome.

I love this band.  Fucking genius.

Edited by Kasanova King

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

It's just a AGD chords riff. Very common, Children Of The Sea (D#), Highway To Hell, Sweet Emotion...

Yeah, saying that The Seeker inspired You're Crazy because it's the same chord progression is like saying (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay inspired every song that's ever had a dominant seventh chord in it, because it's a prominent example of it. 

Chords are the building blocks of music, there's bound to be a lot of overlap here and there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

The first coords of You're Crazy live version are the Seeker.  That's it, folks.  They play Seeker because  it inspired "You're Crazy".

Fucking awesome.

I love this band.  Fucking genius.

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

Yeah, saying that The Seeker inspired You're Crazy because it's the same chord progression is like saying (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay inspired every song that's ever had a dominant seventh chord in it, because it's a prominent example of it. 

Chords are the building blocks of music, there's bound to be a lot of overlap here and there.

It's not just the chord progression , it's the way those chords are played, the rythm the groove , etc ... In this case your crazy is very alike the seeker , at least the frist part of the song , you can even sing you're crazy to the seeker's music in the begining.

same happens with dead flowers and used to love her 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

It's not just the chord progression , it's the way those chords are played, the rythm the groove , etc ... In this case your crazy is very alike the seeker , at least the frist part of the song , you can even sing you're crazy to the seeker's music in the begining.

same happens with dead flowers and used to love her 

First off, the strumming rhythm is not the same at all. You're Crazy is straight sixteenth notes, with some heavily-placed accents. The Seeker has a dotted eighth, plus a couple thirty-seconds thrown in, and is played straight without the accents. 

As for Dead Flowers/UTLH - it's another incredibly common chord progression (D-A-G-A), with the standard folk/Americana strumming pattern. I doubt you could trace that combination of chord progression and strumming pattern back to it's origin, but it was certainly long before the Stones used it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

First off, the strumming rhythm is not the same at all. You're Crazy is straight sixteenth notes, with some heavily-placed accents. The Seeker has a dotted eighth, plus a couple thirty-seconds thrown in, and is played straight without the accents. 

As for Dead Flowers/UTLH - it's another incredibly common chord progression (D-A-G-A), with the standard folk/Americana strumming pattern. I doubt you could trace that combination of chord progression and strumming pattern back to it's origin, but it was certainly long before the Stones used it.

well i don't see (ear) music as some kind of science, to me the beggining of the seeker is identical to you're crazy , i'm not talking about the speed or amount of notes or anything like that.

It has the same FEEL , that's why you can sing you're crazy on top of the seeker 

• Like 1

Just now, Powerage5 said:

He's talking about the groove. There is millions of ways to sound different and make a different rhythm with the same chords. It is almost the exact same groove in that part. If you can read tab, tab it out and look. Im sitting here playing both intros on my SG and it's almost the same except for a small variation.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

well i don't see (ear) music as some kind of science, to me the beggining of the seeker is identical to you're crazy , i'm not talking about the speed or amount of notes or anything like that.

It has the same FEEL , that's why you can sing you're crazy on top of the seeker 

And I have a degree in music - I do.

But I digress. I can't be bothered to argue over this right now. A thread discussing the similarities between two songs, I point out how they're different, people point out how I'm wrong. Okay, fine.

6 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Was Axl sick in that video? His voice was cracking an awful lot at the end and it's an easy song.

i know this sounds odd, but the seeker is actually right near the high end of his vocal range!

all the songs you hear in a higher pitch are a completely different technique used by him (head voice/chest voice/pharyngeal singing), while the seeker/you're crazy acoustic are axl's normal bass/baritone range that doesn't go much higher than this

On 12/1/2016 at 0:00 AM, Powerage5 said:

And I have a degree in music - I do.

But I digress. I can't be bothered to argue over this right now. A thread discussing the similarities between two songs, I point out how they're different, people point out how I'm wrong. Okay, fine.

I know very little about the making of music....just go by what I hear.  I will totally take your word on this.  :thumbsup::thumbsup:

41 minutes ago, JDGNR93 said:

I never noticed they started the same.... on the topic of you're crazy give my vocal cover a listen guys tell me what you think!

great job with using your own vocal melodies instead of just copying the original. Your version reminds me more of the original studio acoustic version they recorded for AFD, which I prefer over the Lies version. But the live era one is still the best

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

great job with using your own vocal melodies instead of just copying the original. Your version reminds me more of the original studio acoustic version they recorded for AFD, which I prefer over the Lies version. But the live era one is still the best

Thank you!! I appreciate it. Yeah I completely get where you're coming from about the AFD versions and the lies version, but like you said the live era one is the best I'd definitely agree on that