01/25/17 - Yokohama, JP- Yokohama Arena

gunsguy

2 hours ago, IkaruFunk said:

Better was pretty great too. One of the better (sorry) performances from this tour.

Yeah I really like Slash's solo (the second one) especially that rundown he plays just before the end. It's way more consisent than what he plays on This I Love. Although I quite enjoy his take on that too.

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Incomplete, starts from Slash's solo. He starts it perfectly, hits a few bum notes, but I like this performance.

I do like Slash's soloing on this song, the style and tone is great but it's a little messy and inconsistent. Finck's original was perfect.

1 minute ago, AlexC said:

Yeah I really like Slash's solo (the second one) especially that rundown he plays just before the end. It's way more consisent than what he plays on This I Love. Although I quite enjoy his take on that too.

As much as I love Slash, I still like Robin's take more. But the band is pretty tight and man, that breakdown is just mean.

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

One of the best Nightrain I have seen from this line up..

Too bad someone couldn't flick the blue haired Pokemon of the stage though.  Whoever says you can't notice her annoying useless ass is just wrong. Dizzy yes, Melissa no....

That was fucking awesome, I thought Axl has been terrible now based on the comments. He sounds fucking great

Detroit Nightrain is still my favorite, though ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, Axl sounds exactly like he did through 2016 - his best since 2011, not quite as good as 2010. 

He brought this criticism on himself by fucking the world itself in the ass with AC/DC. If there are really technical issues that prevent him for repeating that sort of performances with GNR perhaps he should be open about it, dunno.

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

That was fucking awesome, I thought Axl has been terrible now based on the comments. He sounds fucking great

Detroit Nightrain is still my favorite, though ;)

Me too. I honestly haven't really watched many videos since the NA tour but I thought he was going to sound bad too per the comments..  Watched a few from this show and he sounded pretty good to me.  

I must be overly negative but all these comments about that Nightrain being amazing and this show being one of their best and on par with the NA dates is ridiculous! 

The band sounds great but Axl is still clearly warming up. A lot of the notes on nightrain fall into his weaker falsetto. If an IEM gets released it will be easier to hear. Rocket Queen isn't nearly what it was on the NA tour. He nailed that song nearly every night but again he's back to his weaker clean voice for most of it. I'll try to give some examples before everyone gets carried away...I'm disappointed you guys are dropping  your expectations in 6 months. 

heres RQ from Yokohama...Axl almost completely relies on his cleaner (weaker) voice throughout and even on the ending which he was nailing 6 months ago.

now go back to August in Arlington and I don't have to tell you how good this RQ is. It's simply amazing how good he sounds. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I must be overly negative but all these comments about that Nightrain being amazing and this show being one of their best and on par with the NA dates is ridiculous! 

The band sounds great but Axl is still clearly warming up. A lot of the notes on nightrain fall into his weaker falsetto. If an IEM gets released it will be easier to hear. Rocket Queen isn't nearly what it was on the NA tour. He nailed that song nearly every night but again he's back to his weaker clean voice for most of it. I'll try to give some examples before everyone gets carried away...I'm disappointed you guys are dropping  your expectations in 6 months ago.

Nah, it's not you being overly negative. I really like that Nightrain performance, good energy. But Slash carried it. Axl, like you said, is still warming up. Not quite there yet. He still needs a few more shows to warm up vocally. I think it won't be long until he gains more power due to simply singing more.

• Like 3

Back to Nightrain at Yokohama...how is this considered great/excellent/best, too many weaker vocals in the first half. Nowhere near NA tour

so lets go back to the start of the NA tour in Detroit...vocals are great! Slash over here playing with a string down. This is phenomenal! Not that Yoko nonsense some are touting as the "best"

but sorry for all the hate guys. Don't take it personally, this band has set high expectations and the proof is out there but Yokohama isn't my proof. 

8 minutes ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

Jeez, gnr must be the only band in existence who's every performance is scrutinised and over analysed down to what's the circumference of Axls gut to how many notes he missed compared to X performance.. I doubt the fans in Japan went home thinking "well it was good, but it wasn't quite Nightrain in Detroit" 

There is nothing wrong with reviewing it at all. It's because we love this band and are not deaf. We know what Axl is capable of. His love for Angus has made it impossible for us to believe this is as good as it gets. It's not a big deal for me when his vocals are weak, but saying it's a weak performance is fine, just like saying a great performance is great. We're hardcore fans and Axl's vocals are a big part of the experience. Jeez.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

Jeez, gnr must be the only band in existence who's every performance is scrutinised and over analysed down to what's the circumference of Axls gut to how many notes he missed compared to X performance.. I doubt the fans in Japan went home thinking "well it was good, but it wasn't quite Nightrain in Detroit" 

No but they are the only band that gets patted on the back for having a mediocre performance! 

Kidding it's not that serious. I actually have fun looking at recent shows and seeing how they stack up to what they've done. The shows are always great, I don't think many fans are ever disappointed in that, but this is a forum for GNR fans so there will be some hardcore opinions and analyzing going on. If I have to go to every show thread and say "great show guys! Best performance yet" every 3 days I wouldn't be here. This is probably the only forum I get away with criticizing and actually DISCUSSING the band without getting kicked out. 

I do apologize if I'm ruining anything for you though, I seriously mean no harm and am usually one of the excited ones when I think everything is clicking. 

Like I said though I enjoy this forum for the opinions and discussion...without it it just wouldn't be fun, so that's why I don't get mad that you think my opinion sucks, it is what it is. We all enjoy this band in our own way 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

There is nothing wrong with reviewing it at all. It's because we love this band and are not deaf. We know what Axl is capable of. His love for Angus has made it impossible for us to believe this is as good as it gets. It's not a big deal for me when his vocals are weak, but saying it's a weak performance is fine, just like saying a great performance is great. We're hardcore fans and Axl's vocals are a big part of the experience. Jeez.

What experience? Viewing it through someones iphone on periscope? Its easy to over analyse and make comparisons when this kind of technology is available but i bet when you went to see GnR you didn't stand there taking notes of every song and rating the vocal performance out of 10, at least i hope you didn't :)

6 minutes ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

What experience? Viewing it through someones iphone on periscope? Its easy to over analyse and make comparisons when this kind of technology is available but i bet when you went to see GnR you didn't stand there taking notes of every song and rating the vocal performance out of 10, at least i hope you didn't :)

Yokohama performance vocally speaking a 6.8 out of 10. Slash scored an impressive 88.3 percent out of a 100 (guitar hero figures)

1 hour ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

So you basically want to censor anyone who didn't attend the concert but wants to share his opinion based on videos recorded from the audience? Ok, gotcha. Very mature. How old are you?

2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

No but they are the only band that gets patted on the back for having a mediocre performance! 

Kidding it's not that serious. I actually have fun looking at recent shows and seeing how they stack up to what they've done. The shows are always great, I don't think many fans are ever disappointed in that, but this is a forum for GNR fans so there will be some hardcore opinions and analyzing going on. If I have to go to every show thread and say "great show guys! Best performance yet" every 3 days I wouldn't be here. This is probably the only forum I get away with criticizing and actually DISCUSSING the band without getting kicked out. 

I do apologize if I'm ruining anything for you though, I seriously mean no harm and am usually one of the excited ones when I think everything is clicking. 

Like I said though I enjoy this forum for the opinions and discussion...without it it just wouldn't be fun, so that's why I don't get mad that you think my opinion sucks, it is what it is. We all enjoy this band in our own way 

I completely agree. Criticising and praising at a ridiculous level of detail is why we are fans and members of this forum in the first place.

i just think people get scared or offended when they see Axl taking some heat over his vocals when all it is, is just being honest about a particular performance. Like you said, I'm just as complimentary if not more so when he has a great night as I am critical when he has a bad one.

Also, for the record, I think Axl is one of the best vocalists out there and of all time and yes, these days he is consistently great. But there's nothing wrong with pointing out flaws in a specific performance.

And if some people are actually underwhelmed by a decent performance, it just goes to show how great he actually is and how high of a standard he has set.

• Like 1

This is what the internet does.  Gives everyone a opportunity to Monday Morning Quarterback every show instead of just enjoying the show for what it was/is. This band is not Rush where everything is going to be perfect every night.

Edited by DPR714

52 minutes ago, DPR714 said:

This is what the internet does.  Gives everyone a opportunity to Monday Morning Quarterback every show instead of just enjoying the show for what it was/is. This band is not Rush where everything is going to be perfect every night.

Really I've seen Rush (free ticket from a friend) and I thought they were terrible and far from perfect.