GNR Takes Swings at Donald Trump (the foam kind)

2 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I can't stand when people who've never stepped foot in a country talk shit. 

It's hard for us not to talk about US politics. Not when whatever the politic and economic condition that happen to your country will have a huge chance affecting everywhere else in the world. Also in cultural aspect celebrities talk about it, our favorite tv shows which most of them produced by Hollywood talk about it, even our favorite band talk about it. It just hard to ignore. It's fucking everywhere.

Question from users:

Why are my posts disappearing?

------

if your post has nothing to do with Guns N' Roses in this Guns N' Roses section it will be removed no matter how much you typed.

If you would like to talk pure politics about Trump or anyone please use the threads in anything goes section.

The Staff here have already mentioned this many times in the thread. 

If you have posted and your post is gone, that is why, if you continue to post politics and not GN'R in this section you will face more serious action on your account.

PLEASE stay on the topic at hand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gunsguy said:

Question from users:

Why are my posts disappearing?

------

if your post has nothing to do with Guns N' Roses in this Guns N' Roses section it will be removed no matter how much you typed.

If you would like to talk pure politics about Trump or anyone please use the threads in anything goes section.

The Staff here have already mentioned this many times in the thread. 

If you have posted and your post is gone, that is why, if you continue to post politics and not GN'R in this section you will face more serious action on your account.

PLEASE stay on the topic at hand.

Just to back @gunsguy up on this; please remember that we have threads like this:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/212410-us-politicselections-thread/&page=305

where you're more than welcome to debate Trump & US politics in general. As he said, this thread is specifically for discussion about something GN'R did. We are in no way discouraging discussion about politics, we're just asking that you keep that part if it in the proper thread. 

Thanks all!

On 03/12/2016 at 8:39 AM, DexAxl said:

So classy from you GNR. :thumbsdown: Love how guys who wrote "turn around bitch I got use for you" and One in a million full of xenophobia, racism and homophobia hate guy that has same views as them. And what was point of this stunt? What good did this bring to GNR? Glad that normal people like Slash and Duff didn't take part in this shit, Axl can't say anything smart to save his life so he has to pull things like this to express his feelings, he can't say wise words like Duff did in his article.

So in other words you loved GnR with all the "xenophobia, racism and homophobia" until they denounced Trump but now all bets are off? :lol:

2 hours ago, Download said:

It's not about being their parents.

I didn't bring politics or attacking Democrats or Republicans into what I said. I didn't take a side. I wish more bands wouldn't bring politics up. I understand many bands do and I like some of those bands.

I understand Axl has the right to do whatever he wants whenever he wants.

I thought it was low class.

I thought it was low rent, play to the lowest denominator. What I mean by that is he didn't really project anything. He has a voice and a platform that reaches all races in hundreds of countries and that was what he chose to do with his platform? 

I would be be embarrased af, lol. I am. 

Think about it.

Wtf was that? How is that funny? Where is the humor? 

They've always been like this though. When has GnR ever been politically correct or subtle with their antics back in the day? This kind of stuff is par for the course. Yeah -- a Trump pinata is immature and ridiculous....but so was burning a Nirvana hat onstage or ranting about Warren Beatty. If you're a fan of this band, you're used to Axl's antics. 

The reason people are so worked up over this is because the person they voted for is getting pummeled (literally). If it was the reverse scenario with Obama or Hillary pinatas getting trashed -- the same people who are outraged right now would be quiet and the liberals/democrats would be the ones complaining. This is why most of us who are taking the moral highground are hypocrites. Americans seem to be bipolar when it comes to politics -- their side is all good, and the other side is all bad. The truth is -- both sides are screwing the american public.

This stupid stunt is going to cost GnR when they come to the states because there are a lot of dumb butthurt people who will write off the band over this. Not smart on their part. If they wanted to really make a statement about this, do what Kurt Cobain did and just tell the audience at your shows that racists/sexists/homophobes are not welcome. Problem solved. You're making it clear where you stand and the people who are not down with that can go to a Ted Nugent concert or whatever. But since when has Axl ever thought through his actions? Take it for what it is.

Edited by RONIN

20 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Having seen my fair share of Mexican cartel videos where people are literally hacked to pieces I found this particular "political statement" to be in excruciatingly poor taste. I do not support seeing anyone burned, bashed or mutilated in effigy, but especially a democratically elected American citizen by foreigners. This was wrong, stupid and beneath them as professional entertainers. I had planned to attend every date of the Japanese tour next month, but shall have to seriously reconsider doing so now. I can't imagine how embarrassed and pissed off  I would become if they were to repeat this stunt in Japan.      

They won't.

It's pretty obvious they did this to cater to the Mexican audience, based on statements given by Trump.

GN'R is against Trump, no doubt, but it's not like they're out on an anti-Trump tour right now, with a political viewpoint as their main focus.

If they had been, or starts doing this at every concert, then it will be more about their own views than catering to the audience's.

Edited by Spirit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

This stupid stunt is going to cost GnR when they come to the states because there are a lot of dumb butthurt people who will write off the band over this. Not smart on their part. If they wanted to really make a statement about this, do what Kurt Cobain did and just tell the audience at your shows that racists/sexists/homophobes are not welcome. Problem solved. You're making it clear where you stand and the people who are not down with that can go to a Ted Nugent concert or whatever. But since when has Axl ever thought through his actions? Take it for what it is.

This would be pointless, because no racist/homophobe admits it or considers himself such; they're usually like "I'm not racist/homophobe but...". GnR had done it though with the only ones who are admittedly racists, ie. the KKK; they said "we don't want the KKK to come to our shows".

The Trump pinata stunt, whether one considers it immature, stupid, distasteful etc. or funny (my first reaction was negative, but after reading about how pinatas are used in Mexico, I think it was just a harmless fun happening), was clearly meant as a gesture to the Mexican people and as an act of deprecation of Trump for what he has said about them; it wasn't addressed to the Americans who voted for Trump. But Trump voters seem to take it as a personal insult to them. I think it has more to do with that conservatives considered (mistakenly) GnR and Axl their own, and now they are disappointed.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spirit said:

They won't.

It's pretty obvious they did this to cater to the Mexican audience, based on statements given by Trump.

GN'R is against Trump, no doubt, but it's not like they're out on an anti-Trump tour right now, with a political viewpoint as their main focus.

If they had been, or starts doing this at every concert, then it will be more about their own views than catering to the audience's.

I'd hope not, but now the potential exists. Trump has made several statements suggesting Japan should be paying more for the military presence the US provides, and more importantly his inauguration coincides with the Japanese tour. I'm fine with them being anti-anyone, if they are, but I don't care for political b.s. at rock concerts. I go to shows to be entertained, and I don't find this sort of thing entertaining in the least.   

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The Trump pinata stunt, whether one considers it immature, stupid, distasteful etc. or funny (my first reaction was negative, but after reading about how pinatas are used in Mexico, I think it was just a harmless fun happening), was clearly meant as a gesture to the Mexican people and as an act of deprecation of Trump for what he has said about them; it wasn't addressed to the Americans who voted for Trump. But Trump voters seem to take it as a personal insult to them. I think it has more to do with that conservatives considered (mistakenly) GnR and Axl their own, and now they are disappointed.

Although I see and appreciate your logic, my feelings are since THEY made the decision to do it (or permit it) THEY ought to explain it.  

1 minute ago, SteveAJones said:

I'd hope not, but now the potential exists. Trump has made several statements suggesting Japan should be paying more for the military presence the US provides, and more importantly his inauguration coincides with the Japanese tour. I'm fine with them being anti-anyone, if they are, but I don't care for political b.s. at rock concerts. I go to shows to be entertained, and I don't find this sort of thing entertaining in the least.   

But those statements aren't nearly as controversial to the everyman as specific characterizations of a group of people.

I get that some people find it disturbing and disrespectful. But the Saint Louis and Montreal riots were something a lot worst. There were property damages and people got hurt. Really there is too much overreaction when some people said they will never go to a show again. It was just a pinata!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Padme said:

I get that some people find it disturbing and disrespectful. But the Saint Louis and Montreal riots were something a lot worst. There were property damages and people got hurt. Really there is too much overreaction when some people said they will never go to a show again. It was just a pinata!

They've done a lot of stupid things thru the years, most of which was rooted in the chaos of youth, fame and living authentic rock n roll lives. They're all middle-aged millionaires now. One would think they'd have acquired some insight on how to connect with an audience aside from appealing to the lowest common denominator. A better way to go about this would have been through the merchandising, for example.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Please, let's close this thread for the love of Jebus!!

I can't believe I just read a whole page of a crybaby talking shit about GNR on a GNR forum just because of "the piñata incident". This thread has gotten so stupid that it makes me wish we were still talking about whether or not Metallica is a nostalgia band.

Hopefully, Axl won't give a fuck about all the stupid shit people's saying about him and will continue to speak his mind. "To hell with the pressure, I'm not caving in."

NEW ALBUM NAME CONFIRMED

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

So in other words you loved GnR with all the "xenophobia, racism and homophobia" until they denounced Trump but now all bets are off? :lol:

I still love them, don't really care about Trump. I would not like it if they brought anybody's pinata and beat the shit out of it, it's just not cool. And yeah never liked One in a million.

Edited by DexAxl

48 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

They've done a lot of stupid things thru the years, most of which was rooted in the chaos of youth, fame and living authentic rock n roll lives. They're all middle-aged millionaires now. One would think they'd have acquired some insight on how to connect with an audience aside from appealing to the lowest common denominator. A better way to go about this would have been through the merchandising, for example.  

But for you it is a lowest common denominator. For you a better way to go is merchandising, but not for them. For them the best way to go was to make this joke.  You have your point of view and they have theirs. You find it offensive? Fine, I won't tell you how you should feel. But I don't think this issue or controversy is a compelling reason to stop being a fan and not going to shows anymore.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Padme said:

But for you it is a lowest common denominator. For you a better way to go is merchandising, but not for them. For them the best way to go was to make this joke.  You have your point of view and they have theirs. You find it offensive? Fine, I won't tell you how you should feel. But I don't think this issue or controversy is a compelling reason to stop being a fan and not going to shows anymore.

This.

It's unbelievable how some people react to this. It's fine if you don't agree with it, but is it really such a big deal? I think people are so opinionated that they can't even look past their own opinion. It's sad. How anyone can stop listening to them because of this silly little thing is beyond me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, downzy said:

What I don't understand, regardless of your own political views, is how you believe this act by GNR is somehow inconsistent with who they have been and what they represent.  In many ways, Appetite for Destruction was a full-throated to response to Reagan's American.  Axl has always struck me as someone that doesn't take so well to authoritative figures or institutions.  I can't recall when and where I saw it but I believe there's a picture of Axl with Steven Tyler wearing a t-shirt with Reagan mocked up to look like Hitler.

This.

I see that people in America often use political correctness (or its lack thereof) as a measure of someone being conservative or liberal. And because Axl has been politically incorrect, conservative fans thought he was somehow one of them, or at least close to their views. But they're forgetting that Axl has also been anti-authoritarian (with the exception of his own authority, one might argue, but this is another matter :P) and that he would never be a supporter of "law and order" which is prominent in a conservative political agenda.

And the picture:

dced058c706f60c72e710065573775f2.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This.

I see that people in America often use political correctness (or its lack thereof) as a measure of someone being conservative or liberal. And because Axl has been politically incorrect, conservative fans thought he was somehow one of them, or at least close to their views. But they're forgetting that Axl has also been anti-authoritarian (with the exception of his own authority, one might argue, but this is another matter :P) and that he would never be a supporter of "law and order" which is prominent in a conservative political agenda.

And the picture:

dced058c706f60c72e710065573775f2.jpg

Thanks...  It's been years/decades since I last saw that picture and I was too lazy to go hunt for it on Google.  

And I think your point is well made.  Political correctness has lately been come under attack by conservatives, and hence the assumption that because Axl hasn't been politically correct, he should or would be more aligned with them.  Ultimately I think he's just anti-authority while also a champion of the little guy or the down and out (having been there himself).  And when you think about the campaign Trump just ran, how does it surprise anyone that he's not someone Axl could support.  

I don't speak for Axl obviously and am only speculating as to why he believes what he believes.  It just seems to me that this latest expression of dissent is very fitting with who Axl is and was and what he loathes in politicians/leaders.  

We should also be careful not to put too much of this on Axl.  I'm fairly certain that if one of the band members expressed sincere doubt or concern about the piñata it wouldn't have happened.  Since it looks like the entire band stuck around after the show to either partake or spectate, it seems as though action was universally supported by all members.  

• Like 2