The Mummy Franchise

Słash

It looks like a weak/average opening weekend, but well overseas. Not excellent figures to launch an universe even if Bride of Frankeinstein is already in pre-production.

“We know we’re going to do Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Phantom of the Opera, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Invisible Man,” he says.

“There are characters within those films that can grow and expand and maybe even spin off. I think that digging into deep mythologies about monsters around the world is fair game for us, as well and connecting the monsters that we know to some surprising monsters could also be really interesting.”

“I’d love to bring Michael Fassbender in, I’d love to bring Jennifer Lawrence in, I’d love to see Charlize Theron in there, Angelina Jolie…"

Yeah, I read a review that the movie sucks and Tom isn't very good in it. Really, I'm surprised. Tom as a person is a weirdo, but as an actor he's usually very good.

Oh well, I will wait until it comes on cable.

I'm tired of buying movies that everyone says are great and then they suck.

"Lights out" and Don't Breathe" and Rings.

50 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, I read a review that the movie sucks and Tom isn't very good in it. Really, I'm surprised. Tom as a person is a weirdo, but as an actor he's usually very good.

Oh well, I will wait until it comes on cable.

I'm tired of buying movies that everyone says are great and then they suck.

"Lights out" and Don't Breathe" and Rings.

I didn't read anything bad about Tom Cruise other than it is one of his worst starring vehicule, but the main problem seems to be (actually the same problem Kong and Godzilla kinda faced), is it worthwhile to reboot The Mummy and at the same time launch a whole new universe?

Edited by Silent Jay

On 6/7/2017 at 4:00 PM, Silent Jay said:

Early reviews point out the movie facing many problems. Kurtzman shouldn't have directed it. Dark Universe almost dead on arrival.

That's what they said about the DCU when Man of Steel came out, but they've somehow redeemed themselves with Wonder Woman apparently.

6 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

That's what they said about the DCU when Man of Steel came out, but they've somehow redeemed themselves with Wonder Woman apparently.

Gal Gadot stole the show in Batman V. Superman. Before the screenings all I heard how about of people were looking forward to seeing a Wonder Woman film. 

I haven't heard any standouts in The Mummy. Disappointed if this universe doesn't take off because I've always been a fan of the old Universal and Hammer Classics.

4 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Man of Steel didn't have 21% on Rotten, and grossed $700 million worldwide. It was a great start and overall a success.

Here we have three main characters of the Dark Universe together, and it may be already a failure.

I know that they are also looking at low budget monster movies, but the next movie Bride Of Frankenstein with the director of the recent Beauty & The Beast, won't come out until 2019.

Very well received overseas.

Record opening in Korea. Biggest first day for Tom Cruise in China, Russia, Brazil.

http://variety.com/2017/film/asia/mummy-china-box-office-opening-tom-cruise-1202460329/

:

The Mummy is on pace to earn more than $169 million at the global box office this weekend, marking the biggest opening ever for a Tom Cruise film.

Edited by Silent Jay

They made just about every mistake they could've made, right down to that cringey montage of the old films set to action movie music.

I like Tom Cruise, but I can't fathom why he chose this script, or why the director thought he would work in this role. Well, other than $$$$.

Its a really cynical film, almost as bad as Suicide Squad in that everything about it seems to have been carefully constructed by an anxious marketing team rather than an actual attempt to make a creative film. It was a chore to watch and I highly recommend that you save your money or see something else.

And honestly, why make them action movies? Make them horror or suspense, watch Penny Dreadful and take notes on the tone, you dumb studio executives.

I enjoyed it, but it certainly wasn't great.

The first act was pretty poor, with the second and third being fair/good.

Tom was good, but it's difficult to find the line between him seeming out of place or just playing an off-the-wall character who's trying to find out what's happening.

The idea is there in the movie, but the overall execution was messy. Jekyll/Hyde was a mild highlight, mainly Hyde (the scene with him and cruise was one of the best in the movie).

It wasn't full-on action, as it did try to have some "scary" moments, but not enough. And the Oscar Issac-wannabe playing the American Werewolf In London-type friend was annoying and a waste of time.

Overall the movie is probably a 3/5. But again, I did enjoy it for what it was and I'm actually looking forward to watching it again when it comes out on home release.

Hope they learn from their mistakes and improve on the following films, because it'll be interesting to see all of these actors work together.

• 3 weeks later...