RussTCB

NES Classic, Hack To Add ENTIRE NES Catalog

59 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Do you guys think they're cutting production on the NES Classic because Switch is getting virtual console soon and they don't want to have two markets collide?

yes

i've always said, the switch is a marketing stunt to give awareness to the switch. the Wii and WiiU made nintendo look incredibly uncool. going back to their hardcore roots with the NES has repaired some of the damage. now, people are going nuts over anything with the nintendo name again.

contrary to popular belief, nintendo didnt make much money on the nes classic. the hardware alone is expensive enough, but nintendo also has to pay licence fees to capcom and konami. people expect a snes classic somewhere this fall, but i won't get my hopes up, for this reason

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, action said:

yes

i've always said, the switch is a marketing stunt to give awareness to the switch. the Wii and WiiU made nintendo look incredibly uncool. going back to their hardcore roots with the NES has repaired some of the damage. now, people are going nuts over anything with the nintendo name again.

contrary to popular belief, nintendo didnt make much money on the nes classic. the hardware alone is expensive enough, but nintendo also has to pay licence fees to capcom and konami. people expect a snes classic somewhere this fall, but i won't get my hopes up, for this reason

Yeah, with SNES/N64 you'd have to worry about Rare which Microsoft would never allow due to the collections they released on Xbox One.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Yeah, with SNES/N64 you'd have to worry about Rare which Microsoft would never allow due to the collections they released on Xbox One.

part of me secretly hopes for a perfect dark port though, with a license granted to microsoft. i think there is a snowball in hell's chance for that, since microsoft and nintendo are on relatively friendly terms as of lately

portable four player perfect dark deathmatch :drool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎18 at 11:35 AM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Yeah, with SNES/N64 you'd have to worry about Rare which Microsoft would never allow due to the collections they released on Xbox One.

I'm not so sure Microsoft wouldn't allow it - apparently it was entirely Nintendo who got their knickers in a knot over the planned (and nearly finished) GoldenEye HD. Rare/Microsoft were willing to share it with Nintendo to see it released for both platforms but Nintendo decided to ruin the fun. I don't see why Microsoft wouldn't split the deal again for more Rare titles provided that they get to continue releasing them for their own consoles as well.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I'm not so sure Microsoft wouldn't allow it - apparently it was entirely Nintendo who got their knickers in a knot over the planned (and nearly finished) GoldenEye HD. Rare/Microsoft were willing to share it with Nintendo to see it released for both platforms but Nintendo decided to ruin the fun. I don't see why Microsoft wouldn't split the deal again for more Rare titles provided that they get to continue releasing them for their own consoles as well.

awesome!

goldeneye wasn't on the rare replay compilation, so the rights lay otherwise. isn't it activision who has the rights currently? in any case it's not microsoft or rare who decide it; they can't even put the game on their own system

if we ask for it loud enough, we'll get it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, action said:

awesome!

goldeneye wasn't on the rare replay compilation, so the rights lay otherwise. isn't it activision who has the rights currently? in any case it's not microsoft or rare who decide it; they can't even put the game on their own system

if we ask for it loud enough, we'll get it!

Oh everybody has been asking pretty loudly for years! It's somewhat complicated - the James Bond video game rights are currently with nobody (Activision lost them after the disaster of 007 Legends). Going back to GoldenEye, it was Nintendo who held the rights and Rare did the game for them as an exclusive.

The team in particular that developed GoldenEye were all new blood - it was their first major game. Continuous delays and difficulties led to Nintendo pretty much giving up on the game and barely promoting it, figuring it would flop (it didn't come out until two years after the film). Obviously they were completely wrong and it became a smash. Fun fact - it was initially in development for the SNES and then later as an "on rails" shooter. That's how many forms it took during the delays.

So anyways, there seems to be three way complications regarding a re-release - whoever currently holds the Bond rights will have a say, Rare will have a say, and Nintendo will have a say being that they were originally the rights holder before the licence went to EA way back when.

It has been more or less confirmed that Rare and Activision were on board for GoldenEye HD but that Nintendo pulled out at the eleventh hour. There's plenty of footage of screenshots out there of an Xbox 360 playthrough for the aborted game. The same team that did Perfect Dark HD was doing it.

Obviously that's also why it was a glaring omission from Rare Replay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Oh everybody has been asking pretty loudly for years! It's somewhat complicated - the James Bond video game rights are currently with nobody (Activision lost them after the disaster of 007 Legends). Going back to GoldenEye, it was Nintendo who held the rights and Rare did the game for them as an exclusive.

The team in particular that developed GoldenEye were all new blood - it was their first major game. Continuous delays and difficulties led to Nintendo pretty much giving up on the game and barely promoting it, figuring it would flop (it didn't come out until two years after the film). Obviously they were completely wrong and it became a smash. Fun fact - it was initially in development for the SNES and then later as an "on rails" shooter. That's how many forms it took during the delays.

So anyways, there seems to be three way complications regarding a re-release - whoever currently holds the Bond rights will have a say, Rare will have a say, and Nintendo will have a say being that they were originally the rights holder before the licence went to EA way back when.

It has been more or less confirmed that Rare and Activision were on board for GoldenEye HD but that Nintendo pulled out at the eleventh hour. There's plenty of footage of screenshots out there of an Xbox 360 playthrough for the aborted game. The same team that did Perfect Dark HD was doing it.

Obviously that's also why it was a glaring omission from Rare Replay.

that's the key point: nintendo needs to approve

IF goldeneye gets a re release, a nintendo console WILL get it, or no one will get it at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i highly enjoy my nes classic.

mario 3, final fantasy, galaga, dr mario, gradius... they are all very addicting. their simplicity and hardcore difficulty is very awesome. i simply become happy just listening to the menu tune.

i play it in short bursts, say 15 minutes, while the water of my bath is running. as a family man, you need to squeeze in your personal time where it will go. i've never experienced NES when it was around, so this is all new to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.